An end may be in sight to separation of Thai-farang families

webfact

On 5/28/2020 at 9:47 AM, Surasak said:

And now go to another immigration office in a different province and compare answers. It would be interesting to know.

Suwannaphum, plus my home province plus immigration crossing into Cambodia from Surin have given me the same answer. 

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

I did offshore work for years out of Thailand on six different continents so I am more than qualified to comment.

He had a choice, Take a couple of months off, with the resulting pay loss, or miss the birth of his child and potentially get stuck outside the country.

That was his choice to make, he made it and missed the birth of his kid and is now stuck outside the country. 

Informed choices are what adults make, and they are mature enough to live by them.

Only got himself to blame, the Thai government have done absolutely nothing wrong and in fact, done everything right in attempting to protect the Thai people.

Missing my point. You work here. He still works,like you did, offshore, so he can't take off months because, especially at this time, his family needs money. Thailand can't let anyone back in, prompting a check at the airport for Covid19, and subsequent quarantine if positive, or easier, a 2 week quarantine for anyone coming in, paid for by the one arriving.

• Like 2

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Sorry, don't buy that nonsense that his family needed the money. Offshore workers earn decent money and he should have money stashed for emergencies and should be able to live for a few months very comfortably until he can go back to work. 

He's a tourist as well so he won't be even considered to return until the gates are open for tourists and coming from the UK that's gonna be some time yet. 

Choices mate. They have consequences.

Hard to know anyone on earths personal situation unless you live with them. Maybe he does have enough money and maybe all of his money went towards building a house here for his family,and with that comes the inevitable helping out the family. Without knowing the particulars all I see is s man wanting to be home now with his family. Bad timing because of the covid crisis.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

-

Hey we currently all have time on our hands.

What about a straw poll.

Keep it to all guys on annual extensions retirement/marriage, elite visa etc VS PR and work permit. (The later group perhaps being first able to enter Thailand)

So 100 random .....my guess 80+ first group.

Crazy guess?

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, Somtamnication said:

Good news up to a point. The foreign spouses, however, are less of a parent and spouse if they do not have the worthless residence permit or a work permit?

...worthless residence permit... ?

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

...worthless residence permit... ?

Give him a break. Many/most would previously thought of PR useless exercise.

Vast majority did not work here. Hence not available.

Covid was never even in worst case dream.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

People visiting their wives are not considered 'tourists' and should apply for a multi entry Non O - although they are not as available as they used to be. I can no longer get a multi in the UK - last one from Vietnam.

You can get a single entry non O in the UK (based on marriage) without any problems. A non O should be just a stepping stone to an extension of stay based on marriage.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 7:10 AM, Darksidedude said:

What is a   permanent residence permit         im married to a Thai, only thing i can do is get a 12 mth spouse visa every year which is applied for outside of Thailand

There is a very good thread,  very long,  about PR in the visa section of TV.

Process to get it takes years, and fees are not very cheap. 

You are normally supposed to have been legally working in Thailand and paid taxes, for 3 years. And you must show your contributions to Thai society. Taking care of an ex-prostitute doesn't count. 

The average Issarn pensioner will not get it. It's a class thing. 

Edited by uhuh
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

You can get a single entry non O in the UK (based on marriage) without any problems. A non O should be just a stepping stone to an extension of stay based on marriage.

I'm fully aware of that, I said 'Multi'. Its impossible for me and others like me to get an extension based on marriage - we don't stay in the country long enough to apply.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 2:47 PM, mikecha said:

if that was the case u do not read the forum enough many many ex pats  live here and work away some 1 month some 2 months in oil gas and many other things 

maybe u dont like it here but many many others do so kindley put comment when needed 

as they say think before do  

Obviously you are not a Native English speaker and missed the point of the post. 

He was saying he does not envy THE PROBLEMS THEY WILL FACE in coming to Thailand. 

16 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Then, if you don't want to be treated as a tourist with what (might) comes with it,

And I suggest you do a little re-reading.  At what point did I say I don't want to be treated as a tourist? I actually said that those visiting their wives are not considered as tourists by Thai immigration. When they are discovered they are often told to obtain a Non O visa.  Until recently that was not a problem as Multi Non O's were available from the Thai Embassy in London. When London went over to the E Visa system, that stopped and only single Non O's are available.  I now go Vietnam.

I also don't need a lecture on my 'lifestyle' as you call it.  As most do, I work - its normal you know? I can't take 4 to 6 weeks off in order to get an extension and I don't see anywhere in my posts here where I've complained about that - nor have I compared it to the UK's system, what are you going on about? All I said was that someone visiting their wife often should have a  Multi Non O but they are not as easy to get as they used to be.

There's a hell of a lot of guys who work on rotational jobs and also use Multi Non O's.  In fact, if you don't actually live permanently in Thailand for whatever reason but visit your wife/family regularly, the Multi Non O is the correct visa to obtain.

You seem to take the view that those on extensions are somehow superior to people on Multi Non O's - I have news for you, you are a guest and your status is no different to mine. Renewal of either of our visas is not guaranteed and both can be revoked at any time.

Although nothing has been said yet, I expect that if the potential changes suggested in the OP are made, those on Multi Non O's will also be allowed to visit their wives/families.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 1:45 PM, uhuh said:

There is a very good thread,  very long,  about PR in the visa section of TV.

Process to get it takes years, and fees are not very cheap. 

You are normally supposed to have been legally working in Thailand and paid taxes, for 3 years. And you must show your contributions to Thai society. Taking care of an ex-prostitute doesn't count. 

The average Issarn pensioner will not get it. It's a class thing. 

Agree with most of that but it is nothing to do with class, IMHO.

It is about tax contributions, assimilating to the local culture (hence the interview and test in Thai) and whether you are of a good enough character.

42 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

Government Official said, foreign nationals to return back to their family soon, March 27, today May 8th,

and still nothing's happening. jai yen yen...

Is it May already?

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Agree with most of that but it is nothing to do with class, IMHO.

It is about ... and whether you are of a good enough character.

That is the class thing.