An end may be in sight to separation of Thai-farang families

webfact

54 minutes ago, Dasekel said:

Why is this of any relevance? He is the spouse of a Thai and lives with her whenever he does not work abroad, that is what he is. And why should he not be able to use the VOA when he comes? Where does it say that people like him cannot use it? He and many other including me used it for many years and it was not us working in other countries causing visa problems. It was those living and maybe working here for long time and doing visa runs to stay on tourist visas. The were the ones causing problems for others, including us.

Calm down, I agree. It’s the ones who think they have some kind of special visa because they have a wife and a kid when clearly no one but them thinks so, particularly the Thais, hence why they ain’t letting them in. 

He’s a visitor, a tourist or anything else you want to label him but he ain’t coming back til they say so whether he’s VOA or Non O or any other fancy title.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

What about people with a retirement Visa who are married with a Thai child who didn't want to go through the ridiculous hurdles of the marriage Visa and just went the 800,000 baht route?

What about them? They are in the queue with everyone else. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

What about people with a retirement Visa who are married with a Thai child who didn't want to go through the ridiculous hurdles of the marriage Visa and just went the 800,000 baht route?

In other words, it is not always possible for immigration officers at entry points to identify foreign men with Thai wives or family responsibilities from their passport visa. An immigration spokesman said the bureau was aware of this problem and was working on possible scenarios. One possibility is that relevant documents, such as marriage and birth certificates and proof of address in Thailand, could be acceptable at airports even if shown on the entrant’s personal computer.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/next-moves-for-thai-immigration-procedures-in-the-pandemic-age-301763

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

some countries want to rush back to travel and tourism, complaining about 2 week quarantines and such (even with 10's of thousands dead) - do yourself a favor Thailand and keep the doors shut..

Easy to say this if you are not a tourism worker who is desperate to feed his children.

Countries rush back to tourism because they want to survive!

Edited by Berti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of speculative posts on this topic. People can guess and hope about relaxation of the current situation. It would seem ridiculous to let in Chinese tourists before people with genuine visa's for retirement, marriage, etc. However, the Government is in charge and they will do what they think is best for THEM. So everyone will just have to sit it out. It could be a long drawn out process. Keep up with money transfers and your dependents in Thailand will be very very Happy.

Edited by Ranshoko
  • Like 1

stupid thai visa law need change normal human law, expat who has marry whit thai wife, need be lot easy visa than tourist and other who stay long time. all other country have marry visa lot lot easy than other visas, this is normal human not monkey law. PM has say him want make thailand same guality all than europe have, big work but first him need change visa law normal europe and normal human law then can build lot better thailand than now have, many europe law need made to thailand because thais not has newer understand how can be normal human. but i hope PM now build betyter normal human thailand and change all stupid monkey system end and start new better thailand same than europe have.maybe have ready when i die, i think thai not can do anythink good but i hope this next 100 year thai come near normal human and europe guality better if can fasten. visa law can change normal law one month if PM want make thailand better and good. now all have mid-ready or not has made anythink good.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dasekel said:

Sorry, you are right, I meant VE  and not VOA. ????

I think you will find that both VE and VOA will not be available for some time

at the moment all Thai nationals are require to sign a document that states they are willing to accept 14 day Quarantine as part of the  repatriation scheme and they have been advised if you don't sign you don't fly

After the repatriation of Thai Nationals has finished they will put rules and procedures to allow the people that are stuck outside Thailand back in if they have long term visas

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

That's Horse <deleted>, It's Only for the PRs And the ones with a Work permit. 

So it's Not for the Retirement and Married ones Without a work Permit Expats . 

I would say that Most expats are Retired and Married/retired without work Permit.  ???? 

Agree the PR and WP has always been in place for those who need to enter the country during these times. The issues should be for those with families / ties here with a NON O multiple entry visa should be allowed back? I have no clue and in the same scenario.......I really doubt we will see any movements until at least October.....unfortunatley.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:
1 hour ago, Dasekel said:

Sorry, you are right, I meant VE  and not VOA. ????

I think you will find that both VE and VOA will not be available for some time

Agree. Also all the countries that have visa exempt available to places such as Vietnam and Japan etc may find different landscape in future travels.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Have you not got it yet?

We are not welcome, they just put up with us............... for the time being

I know two guys who have lived here for over forty years and others twenty years plus, that’s a long time being.

• Like 1

Well, I think we can all agreed the entire situation is a nightmare, not only for those of us with families but also immigration that can only enforce law written by the government.  Or should I say their individual interpretation of the written law.......????

Here is to hoping through all these trials the powers that be see what a screwed up mess they have created and find a way to make it simpler and evenly applied to accommodate us all.

Key thought there is hope, because there is absolutely nothing more I can do.   I do know complaining will not help me nor influence the powers that be because they don't care what I think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HuaHinHim said:

I used to use the 30 day on arrival all the time up until about 10 years ago. Then one time immigration at Suvarnabhumi told me they would not let me in again and I needed to get a visa. I have been on multi entry non ‘o’s ever since. For a one year visa they are not cheap at $300 Australian dollars gone up $75 dollars in last 2 years. My wife’s visa to Australia cost $114 and is good until the end of her passport which had over 3 years left in it at the time. At little off topic but just sayin

Please PM me with exactly how you got your wife an Australian Visa for $114?

I recently checked to get my wife  a tourist Visa and the Visa cost, plus admin costs were closer to $A500. Valid for 90 days and totally nonrefundable if rejected

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

how is infecting and possibly killing others surviving? 

You, being farang most likely have money in background and readily accessible.

My biggest problem in life right now is avoiding checking share portfolio. 

Everything in life simple if you have money and of course health.

Currently I'm on an island easy life. I was here when ALL the staff  were told to go. Job finish. Many are workers from other Asian countries. Cambodia etc.

How many ATM cards do you have? 

Get off the pulpit.

• Like 1

Some reason for optimism:

The government has set July 1 for the lift of all business and activity lockdowns ordered earlier to cope with the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), said the National Security Council chief.

These include interprovincial and international travel, as well as the end of emergency decree and curfew.

NSC secretary-general Gen Somsak Rungsita said on Thursday that the lift of restrictions would be a complete reopening of the country. Officials would next month prepare measures for the reopening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I did it on visa exempt...month in, month out...for 23 years before getting a "Retirement" visa 5 years ago. No wrongdoing whatsoever. 

Now am locked out due to this BS but have required B800k+++ in Thai Bank, Thai GF of 8 years, a house in Kanchanaburi with 3 cats and 3 dogs, an apartment in BKK, a Thai driver's license, a car and motorbike but because I don't have a work permit or marriage certificate...NO ENTRY.

Completely idiotic and WRONG if they don't allow ALL long term visa holders to return "home". My everything is in Thailand yet I'm stuck in USA renting an apartment I don't want, leasing a car I shouldn't need, bleeding cash I'd rather keep while separated from everything I love and they keep jacking us around unnecessarily. :post-4641-1156693976:

Deleted... misread the post.

Edited by Don Mega

22 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Completely idiotic and WRONG if they don't allow ALL long term visa holders to return "home".

First up I'm sorry for your situation.

Fact is your not a long term visa holder.

You are on TEMPORARY permission of stay which you renew every year based on marriage, retirement etc

Sounds like you were in USA at the wrong time. Hopefully the borders and airports will open in month. My bet not. Many countries are still doing quarantine 14 day.

For those folk that have permission of stay expire prior to being able to reenter Thailand, will need start over. Even possible visa exempt entry will not be available and need setv to enter and obtain non o at immigration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He stated GF along with 800k Thai bank.

He is on extensions based on retirement

Weird... I edited that post about 30 seconds after I made it as I missed the retirement extension part.

but thanks for jumping to attention and pointing out the error of my ways, where would the forum be without you.

You will now notice I have edited my post once again.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

where would the forum be without you.

I can see why members have a go at you. You made small stuff up. No big deal, we all do. I even gave you a like in your reply that you misread. 

Move on. No one interested in bickering

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up I'm sorry for your situation.

Fact is your not a long term visa holder.

You are on TEMPORARY permission of stay which you renew every year based on marriage, retirement etc

Sounds like you were in USA at the wrong time. Hopefully the borders and airports will open in month. My bet not. Many countries are still doing quarantine 14 day.

For those folk that have permission of stay expire prior to being able to reenter Thailand, will need start over. Even possible visa exempt entry will not be available and need setv to enter and obtain non o at immigration.

Thx for the kind start, but semantics aside...many people on 1 year extensions based on retirement or marriage have long term lifes, wifes and other dependants, property, investments, REQUIRED ???? in Thai bank, etc, which apparently amounts to a pile of ???? to them as we are indefinitely prevented from entering without even a mention.

Seems unfair, illogical and simply wrong to me, as I am not a tourist and just need to get back home. Personally would gladly pay all costs of mandatory 2 week quarantine and any related expenses, including test and medical checks. No prob with that at all. Don't understand why this simple solution should be so difficult is all I'm saying.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

Just now, Skeptic7 said:

No prob with that at all. Don't understand why this simple solution should be so difficult is all I'm saying.

This next statement of mine is not based on first hand knowledge. Just my thinking.

Thailand would struggle with quarantine for X number of people per day. They are being very measured in repatriation, I think due to capacity to quarantine.

Rightly so non-thai will be last on list.

Again only guessing I'm thinking returning even with current reentry permit is quite some time off.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I can see why members have a go at you. You made small stuff up. No big deal, we all do. I even gave you a like in your reply that you misread. 

Move on. No one interested in bickering

What "small stuff" have I made up ?

By the looks of it, my local immigration office has already moved into the pandemic age. 

On my last visit, the staff sat in air-conditioned splendour while aliens were directed to a "screening area" in an outside building with no aircon, furnished a few flimsy plastic chairs and the obligatory bottle of hand sanitiser, and a fan.

The young lady at a desk marked "90 Day Report" could only have been gone a few minutes before returning with my updated passport, but the sweat was already starting to trickle.

Let's hope the pandemic age is short-lived.