A house for my Wife's Auntie

ourmanflint

Hi all, 

I have been asked to help design Auntie's new retirement home on one of the family plots, single storey, approx 90 sq metres

Does anyone know what are standard wall thicknesses for brick ext. walls and interior partition walls? Need it for CAD software

Thanks

The standard small Thai bricks come out at 100mm including finishes for a single thickness, they seem to get used pretty much everywhere. One advantage of the Thai pole and beam construction is that the walls are not load-bearing so any alterations are a piece of cake.

It's worth looking at some of the government plans http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/ even if you don't use them they show the standard local construction techniques.

Don't forget to obtain auntie's views on what she wants and add in (or leave space for) ramps, wide doors and the like.

• Like 2

The Op would do well to look at Crossy's link. Some of the better SCG dealers have free plans of suitable homes that size. I've seen home plans for sale in a display near the service counter of the Buriram Global House. There is a popular facebook page of 5000 baht house plans.  Anytime you build with a plan you will save money in materials costs. The white 7.5 by 20 by 60 white AAC blocks build faster, make any home more comfortable, and will save money every month if there is any a/c.  With normal rendering it will become 10cm thick. Easy for any budget brand of aluminum or UPVC windows and standard doors. Yes 90 wide and 200 tall doors are a wise investment in the future. Maybe 100 baht more than 80 wide doors. The less "glass" the less heat inside. A real septic tank should be a genuine consideration. Why poison the ground water near any village home by using cement rings. 

Buriram Village back yard May 26.jpg

Thanks Kamalabob2 

I can't believe walls come out at 10cm thick! No insulation, no sound proofing. We want to do a higher spec than that, budget is 2 million for single storey 10.5m x 8m. Definitely wider doors though, lots of folding doors and windows for light, though all windows will be covered to avoid direct sunlight

37 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

I can't believe walls come out at 10cm thick! No insulation, no sound proofing.

You might be surprised at the R value of 7.5cm of AAC, but what many do is a double wall of the 7.5cm with about a 5cm gap.  IE: matching the blocks to the columns which are usually 20cm.  The gap is useful to run electric and plumbing as well as adding to sound insulation.

• Like 1

You are welcome to come to Buriram and see how well the 7.5 thick or even 10cm thick Diamond Brand or Q Con or Thai Con brand or Superblock brand Autoclaved wall blocks insulate. Sure I live in a home with 20cm thick and today I was able to show 25cm wide by 20 high by 60cm long Diamond Brand Wall blocks to an Australian Home builder. 

check this video showing AAC wall blocks in a home built on time and under budget.

• Like 1