Pompeo says Hong Kong no longer warrants special U.S. treatment

webfact

How many national security laws does the US have?

*Alien Enemies Act*Espionage Act*Alien Registration Act*National Security Act*Central Intelligence Agency Act*Executive Order 12333*Intelligence identities protection act*Foreign Mission Act*Economic Espionage Act*Patriot Act*Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act*Protect America Act*National Security Education Act*Counterintelligence and Security Enhancement Act*Foreign Investment and National Security Act*USA Freedom Act*Cybersecurity information sharing Act

Hong Kong 1. 

Sadly highly hypocritical. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

Yes I have seen that misery on the faces of the millions of Chinese that are now able to take luxury holidays in Pattaya, Phuket and elsewhere.......a heart wrenching experience!?

Haha  - the locusts that invade Pattaya every day in busloads and get shipped around from one fabricated tourist site to another don't look like they're enjoying anything. Looks more like hell on earth.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I have a thinking brain and form my own opinion without being influenced by western neoconservatives. 

As long as your opinions are exactly those of the new state police agencies being set up in HK, you won't end up in an internment camp - so you should be good...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rabas said:

Don't need acts when you can just roll tanks in the street. The West also has acts protecting my right to say that. How about China?  Can people in Hong Kong talk about rolling tanks in the street?

They used to be able to, but not as of earlier this afternoon when the new "security" law was passed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

As long as your opinions are exactly those of the new state police agencies being set up in HK, you won't end up in an internment camp - so you should be good...

No. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the Trump administration. They using the same mo in Venezuela.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rabas said:

Don't need acts when you can just roll tanks in the street. The West also has acts protecting my right to say that. How about China?  Can people in Hong Kong talk about rolling tanks in the street?

Like the Catalonia's bid for independence from Spain and the government clampdown. The liberal west are not kind to separatists too. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

How many national security laws does the US have?

*Alien Enemies Act*Espionage Act*Alien Registration Act*National Security Act*Central Intelligence Agency Act*Executive Order 12333*Intelligence identities protection act*Foreign Mission Act*Economic Espionage Act*Patriot Act*Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act*Protect America Act*National Security Education Act*Counterintelligence and Security Enhancement Act*Foreign Investment and National Security Act*USA Freedom Act*Cybersecurity information sharing Act

Hong Kong 1. 

Sadly highly hypocritical. 

You seem to overlook...

"under Article 18 of the Basic Law, the Chinese legislature … can also make a law and apply it to Hong Kong”. The Basic Law, Hong Kong’s mini-constitution, says mainland China can make laws for it on defence and foreign affairs as well as “other matters outside the limits of the autonomy of [Hong Kong]”.

Albert Chen, Professor in Constitutional Law at the University of Hong Kong,  (Quoted from an article in the Sydney Morning Herald).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

Haha  - the locusts that invade Pattaya every day in busloads and get shipped around from one fabricated tourist site to another don't look like they're enjoying anything. Looks more like hell on earth.

To me they look a lot like the "ugly american" tourists of the 50s, 60s and 70s.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

The West also has acts protecting my right to say that.

You've done this before. I will repeat:

No other "western" country has anything like the U.S. 1st amendment. Free speech looks very different than you imagine in the rest of the "wet".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Brunolem said:

We don't see hundreds of Chinese army bases in over a hundred countries. 

Well then, lets get them there. Which countries will volunteer for Chinese army bases first ?  Plenty of European nations are waiting in line for an opportunity at hosting the Chinese army.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Yeah, Trump is such a baddie so lets just cozy up to communists... 

Don't you get it? Trump IS cozying up to Communists. Putin and the North Korea fat man ring any bells with you? He's crawled up the a##e of both so far he's mimicking the grand cesilical elliptical ouzel bird.

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

You've done this before. I will repeat:

No other "western" country has anything like the U.S. 1st amendment. Free speech looks very different than you imagine in the rest of the "wet".

And will likely do it again. I've spent the great majority of my long life outside my country in many places, including growing up. Been in lots of 'in the news' places. I was in the Soviet Union in the 60s.

Peoples' freedoms vary widely around the world, it's not black and white as you suggest. Even in the USSR freedoms varied. Russia was quite bad. I also have long connections to China, Chinese, and even it's history. The problem is not China, it is the CCP.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Well then, lets get them there. Which countries will volunteer for Chinese army bases first ?  Plenty of European nations are waiting in line for an opportunity at hosting the Chinese army.

Or, what about not being occupied, either by the American or by the Chinese army?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 4:20 AM, Brunolem said:

If there are, say 10 million wealthy Chinese, able to take luxury holidays, that is a huge number...compared with the UK, Germany or France...but...it is a drop in the 1.4 billion Chinese people bucket...

Average Chinese workers are hardly known for enjoying the good life, not to mention the 1 billion or so still living in the countryside (the Chinese Isaan).

Misery is not exclusively a financial issue...repression, lack of freedom, censorship and so on also bring misery to their victims...just ask the Tibetans...

Add the Uyghurs to that group as well.  They have been repressed for quite some time with no end in sight.  

• Thanks 1