BANGKOK
gennisis

rimping request for card pass number

shopping at Rimping yesterday the woman at the cash out asked for my card pass number like a fool i gave it.

but why?

It goes without saying you should never give out your pin number ! You now need to go and change it asap.

On my last trip to Rimping the sales girl was happily ringing through our items that were continually showing up "error" on the screen. (She didn't bother to look) We handed back at least 6 items that had not shown up on the bill. If we had said nothing we would have had many free groceries. Maybe obtaining your PIN number is a way of balancing her books! Who knows!

• Like 1

I have never had any problem with Thai Bank issued Credit/debit cards in Thailand.

Too the best of my knowledge Thai institutions set limits on the value they will accept on overseas issued cards.

I have higher limit on my UK issued credit card but this has been refused by a Major hospital and for a TV yearly subscription, which have then automatically accepted my Thai issued credit card.

john

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

It goes without saying you should never give out your pin number ! You now need to go and change it asap.

And you know he gave his pin number how?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NancyL said:

She was asking for your member number so you'd get points for your purchase.  You can give the phone number that you used on the application for your member card.  If you pay attention, you'll see that's what most people rattle off when they check out -- it's easier than remembering your "member number".  I can't recite my phone number in English, only in Thai out of the habit of rattling it off at check-out counters.

That is what they have asked me for forever.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NancyL said:

She was asking for your member number so you'd get points for your purchase.  You can give the phone number that you used on the application for your member card.  If you pay attention, you'll see that's what most people rattle off when they check out -- it's easier than remembering your "member number".  I can't recite my phone number in English, only in Thai out of the habit of rattling it off at check-out counters.

Same.

• Like 1

A post using ALL CAPS has been removed as well as the replies. Please turn off your Caps Lock when posting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NancyL said:

I can't recite my phone number in English, only in Thai out of the habit of rattling it off at check-out counters.

I find that hard to believe, as I can say mine just as fluent in both English and Thai.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cmsally said:

On my last trip to Rimping the sales girl was happily ringing through our items that were continually showing up "error" on the screen. (She didn't bother to look) We handed back at least 6 items that had not shown up on the bill. If we had said nothing we would have had many free groceries. Maybe obtaining your PIN number is a way of balancing her books! Who knows!

Is the OP talking about bank ATM PIN number?

Why would a RIMPING (any supermarket or trader) ask you for your bank PIN number)?

Seems like there's confusion of what number the RIMPING cashier was asking for?

Or was she just asking for your RIMPING member number from which you accumulate points towards buying kitchen/household etc., products?

My Thai son was shopping at RIMPING yesterday evening (28th). I just asked him about being asked for a number. His response: As always before the cashier started he gave her his member No. (his mobile No.), he got the total and paid cash.

She didn't in fact ask for any number.

All strange?