rimping request for card pass number

gennisis

It goes without saying you should never give out your pin number ! You now need to go and change it asap.

On my last trip to Rimping the sales girl was happily ringing through our items that were continually showing up "error" on the screen. (She didn't bother to look) We handed back at least 6 items that had not shown up on the bill. If we had said nothing we would have had many free groceries. Maybe obtaining your PIN number is a way of balancing her books! Who knows!

• Like 1

I have never had any problem with Thai Bank issued Credit/debit cards in Thailand.

Too the best of my knowledge Thai institutions set limits on the value they will accept on overseas issued cards.

I have higher limit on my UK issued credit card but this has been refused by a Major hospital and for a TV yearly subscription, which have then automatically accepted my Thai issued credit card.

john

11 minutes ago, NancyL said:

She was asking for your member number so you'd get points for your purchase.  You can give the phone number that you used on the application for your member card.  If you pay attention, you'll see that's what most people rattle off when they check out -- it's easier than remembering your "member number".  I can't recite my phone number in English, only in Thai out of the habit of rattling it off at check-out counters.

That is what they have asked me for forever.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NancyL said:

She was asking for your member number so you'd get points for your purchase.  You can give the phone number that you used on the application for your member card.  If you pay attention, you'll see that's what most people rattle off when they check out -- it's easier than remembering your "member number".  I can't recite my phone number in English, only in Thai out of the habit of rattling it off at check-out counters.

Same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NancyL said:

I can't recite my phone number in English, only in Thai out of the habit of rattling it off at check-out counters.

I find that hard to believe, as I can say mine just as fluent in both English and Thai.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cmsally said:

It goes without saying you should never give out your pin number ! You now need to go and change it asap.

On my last trip to Rimping the sales girl was happily ringing through our items that were continually showing up "error" on the screen. (She didn't bother to look) We handed back at least 6 items that had not shown up on the bill. If we had said nothing we would have had many free groceries. Maybe obtaining your PIN number is a way of balancing her books! Who knows!

Is the OP talking about bank ATM PIN number?

Why would a RIMPING (any supermarket or trader) ask you for your bank PIN number)?

Seems like there's confusion of what number the RIMPING cashier was asking for?

Or was she just asking for your RIMPING member number from which you accumulate points towards buying kitchen/household etc., products?

My Thai son was shopping at RIMPING yesterday evening (28th). I just asked him about being asked for a number. His response: As always before the cashier started he gave her his member No. (his mobile No.), he got the total and paid cash.

She didn't in fact ask for any number.

All strange?

9 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I find that hard to believe, as I can say mine just as fluent in both English and Thai.

Totally believable it's exactly what I do,actually have to think what the number is in English whereas in Thai just rattles off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clokwise said:

Just curious, is there any reason why we should be a Rimping member? Will they give you a discount, like Tops does?

Get points exchange for stuff, catalog of stuff at reception desk!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Get points exchange for stuff, catalog of stuff at reception desk!

I'm curious to see just how many points everyone has accumulated. I've been shopping at Rimping for 11 years, got a member card on my first visit, and have yet to redeem any points. Looking at my receipt from just yesterday I have 23,164 points.

I just downloaded their catalog and below are 4 of the things I can get (top point items for the number of points I have).

You get 1 point for every 25 THB spent. So that means over 11 years I have spent in excess of 579,100 THB at Rimping. Now that's worth a free vacuum....  ????

Coffee.jpg.35b8e7c07899a1f27665e44188ac9f92.jpgHP.jpg.86a2ad9f810cd6732d05da898ae113e1.jpgPhone.jpg.ef3ebfe084ac3ee9d5f116bc0474c84e.jpgVacuum.jpg.d6e3a6a69bb90a954076e3d89f617b75.jpg

On 5/28/2020 at 7:40 AM, jonwilly said:

I have never had any problem with Thai Bank issued Credit/debit cards in Thailand.

Too the best of my knowledge Thai institutions set limits on the value they will accept on overseas issued cards.

I have higher limit on my UK issued credit card but this has been refused by a Major hospital and for a TV yearly subscription, which have then automatically accepted my Thai issued credit card.

john

John,

I think what happened was your UK bank  was protecting your card from a fraudulent transaction.

Had you contacted them in advance I believe the transaction would have moved forward seamlessly.

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

In case anyone is interested you can download the catalog from their website. Just go to the link about halfway down this page:

http://www.rimping.com/superplus

You can also redeem your points for gift vouchers -- in effect, cash that you can use at the store.  This is what I do since I don't need another small appliance.

Really, I prefer the Tops program where you get savings on items every time you shop plus they send you coupons from time-to-time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

John,

I think what happened was your UK bank  was protecting your card from a fraudulent transaction.

Had you contacted them in advance I believe the transaction would have moved forward seamlessly.

Thank you for a polite sensible answer.

These incidents happened about 3 years ago, I phoned using Skype to my UK bank and they said that it was the Thai end that had refused payment.

From comments by Thai sales staff I have come to understand that they do have a limit, which the staff do not know, on foreign Credit Cards. Probably breaks the Rules that the card companies set.

john

18 hours ago, NancyL said:

You can also redeem your points for gift vouchers -- in effect, cash that you can use at the store.  This is what I do since I don't need another small appliance.

Really, I prefer the Tops program where you get savings on items every time you shop plus they send you coupons from time-to-time.

Yeah, I'm aware of the Rimping Shopping Vouchers but have never attempted to redeem my points for them. Tell me, how many points does it take to receive 1 THB in free store merchandise? I am guessing that I'm not able to get 23,164 worth...  ????

53 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Yeah, I'm aware of the Rimping Shopping Vouchers but have never attempted to redeem my points for them. Tell me, how many points does it take to receive 1 THB in free store merchandise? I am guessing that I'm not able to get 23,164 worth...  ????

It is a bad rate. In the past I have had a cooker and a toaster, just to use the points.

john