Thai man gets seven speeding tickets in the post- but says he's never even been on those roads

webfact

20 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Is it MORE illegal to drive with illegible plates than to paint them back again yourself?  Hmmmmm

I see all types of vehicles with no plate at all - this would be a very serious offence in the west for obvious reasons 

Other vehicles with unreadable plates - again a very serious offence in the west

I see motorbikes with the plate tucked up under the seat and again unreadable - another serious offence in the west

In Thailand police don't give a (deleted) because they have no interest in enforcing the laws - they are basically equivalent to traffic wardens in the UK when it comes to enforcing the laws on the roads - stop traffic right a ticket - rinse and repeat

• Like 1

Just thinking. 

If a car is repainted a different colour. The colour change has to be registered at Land transport Dept. 

If the suspect in this case has altered the appearance of his Honda and has not registered that change then there is another charge. 

Local plod don't care as no money comes their way. 

Reminds me of the stories of the people who get caught talking/texting on their phones while driving but when the cop walks up to the car they've dropped the phone into a cup holder and then (in court) tell the judge that it was there the whole time (and the judge believes them and drops the charges or throws the ticket out). 

You know they are guilty. You know they are lying about it. But because they don't have it in hi-def colour on film (or video) they get away with it.

And when they do have it on camera "Oh it wasn't me, it must have been someone else."

People used that excuse so often that some places (like BC) changed the law so that the owner of the vehicle is responsible regardless of who was driving because so many people were claiming that they'd "lent the car" to someone and it must have been that person who committed the offence. (Usually speeding and red light offences where the camera doesn't photograph the driver.)

42 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Just thinking. 

If a car is repainted a different colour. The colour change has to be registered at Land transport Dept. 

If the suspect in this case has altered the appearance of his Honda and has not registered that change then there is another charge. 

Local plod don't care as no money comes their way. 

True about changing the appearance.

As the article says, it wasn't explained exactly what was the difference.

It could possibly be the vehicle in Chonburi has a front bumper - the one in the photo doesn't have one. Or perhaps there's additional front driving lights been fitted.

Neither of those would require the LTD to be informed - would they? Even if they did require it we don't know if they were informed or not.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

the one I got back doesn't have the embossed "stamp" on it that the original plates do.

I highly suspect  that the plate they made for you is illegal as it doesn't have the embossed,watermarked and hologramed  bits the ones coming from the DLT  do, most probably no one will ever notice but still ammunition for someone looking for some excuse.

The sign in the shop you  linked to  says they  make covers for and repair

( think it says repair as  hard to read) licence plates..I'll have to keep my eyes open for more  examples  never seen one before.

1411247273_plateshop.jpg.d975dc79bc39fa002f5fdb24e505be25.jpg

I pulled up behind a pick up in town at the traffic lights he had identical number as me, i got a bit worried, then i relaxed as i realized he had green plates, and mine are black, i hope this is OK but one can never be sure in LOS. :unsure:

• Haha 1