For those in Thailand whats gonna happen after 31st July 2020 ?

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

If you are currently in Thailand on a VOA, exempt or tourist visa that has expired, then I doubt immigration will extend again and you will be expected to depart the country by 31st July.

Hmm. As I mentioned first commercial flights begin 2nd August. Pray tell how are we to leave before then?

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

If you are currently in Thailand on a VOA, exempt or tourist visa that has expired, then I doubt immigration will extend again and you will be expected to depart the country by 31st July.

From what I've read on another visa advice group the way the amnesty is worded is that you are allowed to stay until July 31st, but no more extensions will be given and they really expect you to be gone before that date. There are flights leaving to most western countries or the large transfer hubs daily, and they expect people to be on them.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

I'm interested in what happens come 31st July. Covid visas end and first commercial flights out start 2nd August.

Anyone notice the gap?

I'm booked to leave 6th August on a one way ticket. I will remove my dirty European body from Thailand permanently as a favour to the health minister.

I hope that they grant 7 days grace to leave from 31st July.

do u have flights back to yr country alreayd ? 

31 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Do you think those with expired non-O visa will be able to get 60 day extension to visit spouse when amnesty finishes?

think that would depend on  yr country right ? 

Edited by superatoz

To Ubonjoe:

In your opinion, if I was to do my 90 day report on May 16, which was extended to July 31, if the lockdown ends July 1, do you think that I will have to do my 90 day report 90 days from May 16 which will make it August 1 5?

My wonder is will immigration use this to stop people that have a lot of in out visa;s luckily I am a canuck over 50 LOL  BTW I did my 90 day at PT immigration a longtime ago just so it was done.  I agree there is going to be a lot of confusion and long lines at immigration so I got it out of the way.  Have to do it again mid July

34 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Do you think those with expired non-O visa will be able to get 60 day extension to visit spouse when amnesty finishes?

Yes you should be able to get one unless you have gotten one since you last entered the country.

45 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

I'm interested in what happens come 31st July. Covid visas end and first commercial flights out start 2nd August.

There are flights out of the country now if you can get ticket on them.

13 minutes ago, superatoz said:

I'm booked to leave 6th August on a one way ticket.

They might extend the no overstay rule. If not it would be 500 baht a day.

8 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

To Ubonjoe:

In your opinion, if I was to do my 90 day report on May 16, which was extended to July 31, if the lockdown ends July 1, do you think that I will have to do my 90 day report 90 days from May 16 which will make it August 1 5?

Ninety day reports are not required until after July 31st. That will not be changed when and if the lockdowns end.

To  Ubonjoe,

You did not answer my question. I know that my 90 day report which was due May 16 was extended to July 31. However, since the lockdown will end July 1, will Immigration say those that were extended till July 31 will now have to report 90 days from their last report or 90 days from July 31.?

What do you think?

22 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

You did not answer my question. I know that my 90 day report which was due May 16 was extended to July 31. However, since the lockdown will end July 1, will Immigration say those that were extended till July 31 will now have to report 90 days from their last report or 90 days from July 31.?

The 90 day report was not extended. You just do not need to them until after July 31st. Immigration will announce when they are due when it is decided the amnesty will not be extended.

It could be based upon when your last report was due.

53 minutes ago, Expat Brad said:

My Multi Non O expires 5 August. I know l can get a 60 day extension on that, which takes me to the beginning of October. 

After that, any ideas as to what to do if, borders are not opened by then?

I am sure there will be some border crossings open by October or before.

Is it your visa or the 90 day entry it allowed that is expiring on August 5th?

On 5/28/2020 at 10:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

Why?

Immigration will announce when 90 day reports  are due. They certainly will not want everybody to appear on the same day and then 90 days after that. I think it will be done by the month when your last report was due.

I dont very often disagree with what you post UJ but on this occasion I do disagree. Granted the reports do not have to be done and immigration I presume will publish a process in the coming weeks. I feel that if someone can easily do a report online, by post or at the office then they should do so. It takes away any uncertaincy.

• Like 2

Any clue about the "not-used" normal 30 days extension of a exemption at arrival ?

Will it be possible ? Or considered canceled by the covid extensions ?

I arrived 1 month before the first covid extension... So i did not used the 30 days extension...

11 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Any clue about the "not-used" normal 30 days extension of a exemption at arrival ?

Will it be possible ? Or considered canceled by the covid extensions ?

I arrived 1 month before the first covid extension... So i did not used the 30 days extension...

I have opinions on how regular extensions logically ought to be treated, which I can tell from reading the forum are not the consensus view. I base my opinion on the assumption that the automatic extension is a grace period intended

1. to avoid people needing to attend immigration while this risks infection with Covid-19, but allow them to apply for their regular long term extensions when safe to do so; and
  2. to cater for many foreigners who cannot easily leave Thailand, but do not qualify for regular extensions that would allow them to stay, allowing them a grace period to leave.

I believe that, logically, you ought to be able to apply for a regular extension at any time, but it will take effect from the expiry of your last regular permission to stay.

Under my interpretation, applying for a 30-day extension would be pointless because the extension would expire before the end of the grace period you are allowed to stay without requesting any extension. That would be true even if you applied on July 31st, where a 30-day extension of your original permission to stay would be expiring before today's date. I think, however, a denied extension with seven days to leave the country should probably be allowed.

Applying for a one-year extension would make perfect sense, and ought to be permitted at any time up until July 31st, but with the extension running from when your permission to stay expired.

Almost no one else seems to think this is the way things work, so I am likely wrong. That is especially the case as I suspect most immigration officials think the same way as those on this board. Thus, I simply do not know how, in practice, requests for regular extensions will be handled when you apply just before July 31st.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:06 AM, KarenBravo said:

If anyone finds someone who knows what is going to happen two months from now, please ask them for the winning lottery numbers, too and pass them on to TV members. Many thanks.

i want same....BUT IF WIN will NOT share with anyone !!!

My biggest worry about what will happen after the 31st July is the likely enforcement of strict requirements for entry for all non-Thai. I specifically mean medical certificates and insurance.

At 65 with a good UK insurance policy albeit with some pre-existing conditions, I could very likely be uninsurable as far as the Thai insurance requirements go, which would mean if i left, it could be very difficult to get back in.

I was supposed to be on a holiday in the UK now but that didn't happen. I now have a one year voucher for a BA flight that I may never take. It could be along time before I can return for a holiday - and be sure of getting back in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

My biggest worry about what will happen after the 31st July is the likely enforcement of strict requirements for entry for all non-Thai. I specifically mean medical certificates and insurance.

At 65 with a good UK insurance policy albeit with some pre-existing conditions, I could very likely be uninsurable as far as the Thai insurance requirements go, which would mean if i left, it could be very difficult to get back in.

I was supposed to be on a holiday in the UK now but that didn't happen. I now have a one year voucher for a BA flight that I may never take. It could be along time before I can return for a holiday - and be sure of getting back in.

I am in a similar situation but rescheduled my UK/Europe trip to August.

Not getting back in is only a concern from the point of view that we do not know what regulations the Thai authorities might impose. Given that tourism accounts for 14 - 22% of GDP (depending which report you read) I cannot believe that will be onerous. Personally, I believe it will be the usual initial bluster with no real management/monitoring afterwards............................ I cite current visits to malls/shops as an example of inconsistency and Buriram Healthy as a scheme that is words only without any actual back up.

I did take out CV19 insurance here when it was still available - just as a back up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

If one is currently on a retirement extension and living in Thailand, does one need covid-19 insurance or health insurance when applying for a new retirement extension?

Certainly no corvid 19 insurance would be required.

Health insurance is only needed if the visa you used for entry that you have been extending was a OA visa.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why leave your home to do something you do not need to do.

If you can do them online that is OK. But in person and by mail both require leaving home to do them.

I have already skipped mine that was due in April shortly after the amnesty was first announced due to the advise to stay at home unless it was something you had to do.

I am not concerned about doing my report after July 31st if the amnesty is not extended. I have a lot more faith in immigration setting a schedule than some people with a biased opinion do.

Fair comment. It just depends on personal circumstances. For me the Jomtien office is just across the road from where I go to the gym. Its just a 5 minute process for me, so I plan to just go and get it out of the way in June whilst the office is quiet.

8 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Isn't the original Retiremen Visa obtained in Thailand not overseas classified as an OA Visa?

No

It would be a non immigrant category O visa if you applied for it at immigration.