Are the islands accesible yet?

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

As KhunPer wrote - many hotels are closed.

Travel is open. Airbnb is your friend.

Airbnb is working, as is Booking.com Which has a much wider selection than BnB.  Or pm me and I will be very happy to help you.

I too am looking at renting a decent pool villa, theres some superb deals offered as I would assume to be expected. I would look at driving and bringing pets etc for a month in about 2 weeks time. A friend flew CNX to Samui and out to Koh Tao 3 days ago, no quarantine, no instructions to do so, and is daily diving right now.. 

The car ferry's are definitely operating ?? No 'essential only' restrictions like Phuket ?? 

I believe all bars are closed but what %age of restaurants are closed v open ?? Renting a villa means cooking facility but eating out is part of the vacation idea. 

Can accept there will be no nightlife (maybe some slow activity in july ??) as its a beach trip but unsure about the whole lights out and nothing to do past sunset.. 

Life in Chiang Mai is going very much back to normal, markets, restaurants, etc.. The glaring exception is bars and alcohol sales in restaurants, travel and local mobility is unrestricted really. Assume this is similar there ?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

I too am looking at renting a decent pool villa, theres some superb deals offered as I would assume to be expected. I would look at driving and bringing pets etc for a month in about 2 weeks time. A friend flew CNX to Samui and out to Koh Tao 3 days ago, no quarantine, no instructions to do so, and is daily diving right now.. 

The car ferry's are definitely operating ?? No 'essential only' restrictions like Phuket ?? 

I believe all bars are closed but what %age of restaurants are closed v open ?? Renting a villa means cooking facility but eating out is part of the vacation idea. 

Can accept there will be no nightlife (maybe some slow activity in july ??) as its a beach trip but unsure about the whole lights out and nothing to do past sunset.. 

Life in Chiang Mai is going very much back to normal, markets, restaurants, etc.. The glaring exception is bars and alcohol sales in restaurants, travel and local mobility is unrestricted really. Assume this is similar there ?? 

Curfew is still in operation, but now from 11pm to 4am. Though it is supposed to go to 12-4am from 1st June I believe. There are restaurants open, even some of the better ones, but they are practicing social distancing, and still not allowed to sell alcohol.

Still many hotels closed. It is not worth them recalling staff, and having to pay them if there are no tourists.

Having to sign in everywhere, 7-11, supermarkets, shops in mall etc.

Samui at the moment is for quiet beach holidays. Gyms are partially open, but should open next week. Nearly everything else is shut because no tourists equals no income.

If you can delay your trip until beginning July, then you might find the COVID restrictions  lifted even further. Depends on how quiet a holiday you want I suppose.

HTH

• Like 1

As a long term resident I am not so bothered about 'attractions' being closed.. And curfew is a non issue.. But do hope to see gradual opening of the usual stalls, restaurants, etc that make up island vibe. Sundowner cocktails would seal it ????

Would be end june early july.. feel like I am going to chance it.. not been to the beach in years and theres a window of opportunity due to covid work slowdown. 

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

As a long term resident I am not so bothered about 'attractions' being closed.. And curfew is a non issue.. But do hope to see gradual opening of the usual stalls, restaurants, etc that make up island vibe. Sundowner cocktails would seal it ????

As I wrote earlier - Chaweng is a ghost town. However, out in the boonies, most of the local stalls have never closed. High rent areas - many restaurants have closed up until tourists return. Still lots of good food out there though. French, Italian, Thai, Mexican - even English. Lots of places delivering or takeaway.

Sundowners are possible but ..... in a coffee cup. Again - away from the main areas.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

Photos: Chaweng daytime, 7pm on a Saturday night by Solo Bar, and Soi Green Mango at same time. Absolutely dead. Though McDonalds and Burger King are still open if that is your thing.

Evening around 6pm around Chaweng Lake is very busy with lots of people jogging, cycling, doing yoga, playing badmington, doing all sorts of exercise, or just strolling. There is a nice new walkway around the most of the lake.

The night markets are opening, and lots of people seem to be setting up food stalls, (probably to make some money.)

I heard today that the curfew will now be 11pm to 3am. 

It's nice here. 

IMG_5514.jpeg

IMG_5629.jpeg

IMG_5631.jpeg

Edited by phetphet
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:
17 hours ago, phetphet said:

There is a nice new walkway around the most of the lake.

Sounds good

In the afternoon many people do little exercise here, like running or walking around the lake. You might just see the new path at the peninsula Reggae Pub side in the background here...

IMG_0002ce_1024.jpg.693f965556542497bee5b0eacc20001c.jpg

You can cross the lake back over the wooden bridge – build a few years ago and used as walk-in entrance for Samui Bike Week – opposite Central Festival...

IMG_0012ce_1024.jpg.71690610c79f068771ac4f995c5f8889.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, khunPer said:

In the afternoon many people do little exercise here, like running or walking around the lake. You might just see the new path at the peninsula Reggae Pub side in the background here...

IMG_0002ce_1024.jpg.693f965556542497bee5b0eacc20001c.jpg

You can cross the lake back over the wooden bridge – build a few years ago and used as walk-in entrance for Samui Bike Week – opposite Central Festival...

IMG_0012ce_1024.jpg.71690610c79f068771ac4f995c5f8889.jpg

That bridge, though handy, definitely needs the boards on the top replacing. They are rotting and there are many holes in them.

I certainly wouldn't like to fall in that water. Though if you walk around the other side, there are people up to there necks fishing with throw nets.

It's a shame, but COVID, and the lack of tourists will probably put a halt to big spending to finish that walkway project. It was starting to look really nice, and created something  really useful for a change. Work seems to have stopped. Again, maybe COVID related.

If the track ever does encircle the whole lake, it would probably be over 5K, and would surely open up a lot of opportunities for business alongside it. Samui needs more than beaches nowadays to attract tourists.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:18 AM, samran said:

Thanks - so why are flights being allowed?

On 5/28/2020 at 4:20 AM, petermik said:

Followed by 14 days quarantine...go for it :thumbsup:

On 5/28/2020 at 5:41 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Does this also apply for Ko Samui?

On 5/28/2020 at 7:46 AM, petermik said:

You will be faced with 14 day quarantine as a new arrival........:sad:

On 5/29/2020 at 2:30 AM, robertson468 said:

Untrue.

Perhaps you will read this.....https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1166421-bkk-to-koh-samui-by-air-14-day-quarantine/

Edited by petermik

On 5/28/2020 at 7:46 AM, petermik said:

You will be faced with 14 day quarantine as a new arrival........:sad:

On 5/28/2020 at 9:10 AM, khunPer said:

Do you have any proof of that statement?

On 5/28/2020 at 10:57 AM, Tropicalevo said:

You are spreading fake news. (Or trolling.)

None of the guests that I have checked in this week are in quarantine. None of them have been told or asked to quarantine. They have come both via Suratthani airport and Samui airport.

Again..........https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1166421-bkk-to-koh-samui-by-air-14-day-quarantine/

12 hours ago, petermik said:

You may quote as many untrue/inaccurate articles as you wish, but you are still wrong.

Reality is:-

Guests arriving from Bangkok - NO QUARANTINE.

Guests heading back to Bangkok this morning, after a 5 day stay, actually went fishing one night catching squid (until 22.30).

On one of their days out, they went to Chaweng and confirmed that it is a ghost town but the rest of the island is awake.

So please tell me, what is your problem? Why not come to Samui for a couple of days and see for yourself.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

And that doesnt describe quarantine.. 

Says you need to give contact details and they 'may' check in on you for 14 days.. 

What is the point of anyone from outside the area coming to any of the islands for a few days at the present time and possibly...at the whim of some jobsworth...being told to go into quarantine.....it aint worth it :sad:

23 minutes ago, petermik said:

What is the point of anyone from outside the area coming to any of the islands for a few days at the present time and possibly...at the whim of some jobsworth...being told to go into quarantine.....it aint worth it :sad:

Seems like you are merely posting your opinion than quarantine facts for Samui. May I kindly ask you if you live on/stay on Samui?

Is quarantine required in Phangan for arrivals from Phuket via Surat Thani?

My friend will go there next week, she called 3 hotels and got 3 different answers, Yes, No, Maybe... I know there's no quarantine in Samui, but not sure for Phangan (for arrivals from Phuket).