Thai government will pay their people to go on holidays - up to half off hotel cost to stimulate tourism

webfact

Does this so called government believe that the average Thai is just sitting waiting to go on holiday, without a care about paying the mortgage/rent,car loan, etc?

They cannot be that naive, can they?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I read the other day that the government is looking to borrow a trillion baht to keep it going and to pay for this Covid business, i wonder if this free holidays are part of that loan they're looking to borrow...

Sort of like taking a home equity loan from your bank, using it to buy toys and vacations, and then being unable to pay it back and loosing your home to foreclosure like in the US housing crisis because of the market crash.  Looks appealing then NOT...

Any specific multi billion baht magnates chain of hotels?

Or do they get a choice?

(Assuming they have money for a holiday).

26 million people out of work and people doing it hard, and the government offers half price getaways. 

TIT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, petermik said:

I,m guessing it will be as useless as the other "government stimulus measures" i.e. 2000 baht rebate and 5,000 baht/month schemes they came up with :whistling:

My wife has received the first of her three 5,000 baht payments for being a farmer. She isn't, but owns land. How is that 'useless'? I've told her to keep her 15,000 for when she next wants a new mobile phone to replace the one that still works fine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife has received the first of her three 5,000 baht payments for being a farmer. She isn't, but owns land. How is that 'useless'? I've told her to keep her 15,000 for when she next wants a new mobile phone to replace the one that still works fine.

Lucky you. 

She must have a farmers registration card. 

My lady and her sister are definitely not farmers. 

But government statistics say they are, and 95% of her village, so don't qualify for the handouts. 

Seven attempts later and still not even a rice cracker.

They could have used it towards the half price getaway. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

What was "useless" about it?

Do you know anyone who is getting the 5000 monthly handouts?

I Know many who are getting nothing. 

And told they don't qualify because they are farmers..

• Like 1

I didn't realize so many TV members were actually economic advisors.

So many here seems to know what is correct to kick start the economy and what's not.   

So many TV farang must have degrees in accounting and so on ......  

Essential qualifications :

Undergraduate degree in statistics, maths, business studies, and economics

Desirable qualifications :

Postgraduate degree in economics

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Japan , Sicily and Mexico amongst others will be encouraging foreign visitors through various incentives including contributing towards flight costs .. Any chance Thailand doing something like that when the borders reopen .? 

Nah I don’t think so they bankrupted their national carrier when tourism was booming and were charging an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

Lol. For those left standing here in Prathet Thai on legit visas and who've been here for a while, and with fee viable foreign tourists at present... Why not extend the deal to us? 

I'm not the typical TV basher. I like being here. I like Thai everything. Gov is doing a reasonable job under dire conditions and TM 30 has been revised to a rational proposition. I'd like to travel around given the present boring conditions.

So why not offer this idea to longer term visa holders who continue to support the economy?

Just a thought.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, petermik said:

I,m guessing it will be as useless as the other "government stimulus measures" i.e. 2000 baht rebate and 5,000 baht/month schemes they came up with :whistling:

This 2,000 baht rebate scheme has not happened yet for my wife and her family. They submitted the forms 2 months ago and nothing so far.

• Like 2

I am guessing that EXPATS will receive NO discounts.

Jeez, what a great way to stimulate the economy?  I ALSO suspect, that farangs will now pay have to pay double to cover the losses. 

Over the last 3 years, I can count on ONE (1) hand, the amount of Thais that stay in the same Hotels as I do.  And that's about 100 days per year ! ! !

COME ON NOW ! ! !

Lol...I know it’s cynical and sometimes it’s hard not to be but I can see the scam coming already. Hotels get all  of the money allocated by the scheme regardless of if there were actually any tourists or not and a good deal of it gets handed back to the the allocators already nicely laundered and squeaky clean. Who on Earth is going to check!

• Like 1

if it creates jobs and gets folks back in their previous job then that's a good thing. 

The one thing required that is universal all over the world is employment ....  because if you don't have a job then you don't get money and you don't buy food and goods. This is priority to kick start every country in the world.

It's obviously not the only measure to be implemented by Khun Prayut Chan O Cha, but it's a first of many that will help restart the severely damaged economy and hopefully get folks lives back on track.

Good work by Khun Prayut and his government.

Capture.Prayut2.PNG.904351eadaadd72c02552682ce787801.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So only Thais what about Domestic Farangs also, spending on a holiday is not just the hotel expenses.

its all the other money spent on restaurants, entertainment and travel.

They don't want our money to help boost the Tourism economy, a bit short sighted by government 

• Like 2

I think the problem Thailand has now is velocity of money, that is, how quickly people are spending.
The idea of a holiday is to try and get people spending something to get all the supply chains
involved in the hotel industry working again. But the problem can be psychological. People have lost
jobs and they're nervous and so they're not inclined to go on holiday, even at 50% discount. 
If you give them stimulus, you want them to spend. Maybe a lot are saving instead.
This will then be a problem for hotels that re-open, re-hire staff, buy supplies, 
but very few people show up, they will lose money, making the problem worse for the hotels...

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I didn't realize so many TV members were actually economic advisors.

So many here seems to know what is correct to kick start the economy and what's not.   

So many TV farang must have degrees in accounting and so on ......  

Essential qualifications :

Undergraduate degree in statistics, maths, business studies, and economics

Desirable qualifications :

Postgraduate degree in economics

You could be right.

Why not run a survey into the educational backgrounds of TVF members. 

Personally I don't comment or contribute to anything I don't have knowledge of, or hold professional qualification to support. 

Too many keyboard warriors these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1