BANGKOK
webfact

Thai government will pay their people to go on holidays - up to half off hotel cost to stimulate tourism

Is this open for those of us who live here and contribute to the economy each month, or is it strictly only a promotion for Thais? I am guessing the latter.

I am on my summer holiday in July and August and would happily holiday here, however I won't be paying the prices that I have seen advertised. 

• Like 1

Do the rooms include breakfast? That could help take care of hunger issues (kidding!)

TAT announcement coming massive rise in tourist hotel arrivals 🤔 

Didn't someone just investigate the "Hotel quarantine" scheme where allegedly the Hotels were paying a bribe to be allowed to house the quarantined people? I hope no-one tries to defraud this wonderful scheme.

I guess foreign residents will be allowed to pay a higher price than Thais just like at the Hospitals and national parks - Amazing Trusted Thailand.

40 minutes ago, Thailand said:

The Chinese have been doing this for a while with some salaried persons where they are paid part of their income in vouchers to only be spent in restaurants hotels etc in China to stimulate local tourism.

Another one of the reasons Thailand won't be seeing many mainland Chinese here in the near future at least.

Not part of their salary.

Its across 20 provinces. Alibaba, Ten Cent and Meituan, in addition to local Government vouchers. Its only 1.8bn yuan, popcorns really.

Locals can't even get their promised 5K baht but they believe they are going to be paid to travel? LOL

So, those people who dive into the bins for discarded plastic bottles and such like, should do very well out of this government scheme???? Such generosity is overwhelming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

What a bunch of naysayers. Sure, this is not going to feed the lower classes. That's another program that needs fine tuning. But, there are a LOT of potential domestic tourists locked in their middle class condos and housing developments -- that will jump at the opportunity to take an inter provincial holiday, subsidized by a gov't that has the means to do it. And, this will help bring back the hotel and related workers. And, since this is completely doable, looking at the number of coronavirus cases NOT crossing provincial boundaries, what a no-brainer. Yeah, yeah, yeah -- how can a coup gov't that kicked out the rice lady be so prescient -- well, maybe, because they recruited some smart coup outsiders like Somkid. Gosh, if only the US had coups, and not impeachments. ...

Anyway, promoting domestic tourism looks really smart. When we finally get to the 5 minute instant corbid-19 check for foreign airline passengers -- both at the entering and exiting parts of the plane -- well, we can once again begin foreign tourism. Meanwhile, do what's available, namely, domestic tourism.

I agree with you , other than I believe spending does eventually 'feed the lower classes'. They make up the gardeners, bottle washers and cleaners in the hotels. 

Feel like a potential money making scheme...

Will they be allowed to actually travel within Thailand, crossing provincial borders to stay in hotels or do they have to have a staycation where they live?

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

So double pricing for hotels?

Not unusual. 20 years ago many hotels would have double sided tariff cards. One side in Engrish and the other in Thai, with lower rates.

Nowadays, with Agoda and booking.com etc they're probably not seen so much but they have introduced their own multi-pricing methods. Find a hotel and check a few online sites. The likelihood of finding consistent pricing is about zero. There again, walk into the same hotel and ask - you'll get another rate. Walk in with a Thai and let them do the talking - another rate.

• Like 1

Surely this is a complete false economy. If the prices are not competitive enough for locals to holiday then the only thing this will do is encourage some people to take advantage of the offer and that will be that, it will be a short term boom at best. If the tourist industry wants to get things moving for domestic travel then it will need to do better then that. It should be up to the industry to find solutions, government intervention (especially this government) is generally not trusted. They have a very chequered past of doing things for the "good of the people", the rice pledging scheme springs to mind and more recently the 5000 baht assistance.

At the end of the day, the virus has killed the tourist trade all over the world, that wont change until this is all over. People are struggling for money, rapidly increasing unemployment and companies going bust. Holidays are a luxury that will come way down on the list after rent and putting food on the table.

I think a better idea would be for the government to invest in improving infrastructure and transport. It would give people immediate work and set the country up for a brighter future. China created approximately 25% of their gdp in government development, of course it could be argued they went too far and over invested, however it contributed to economic boom.

All in all this feels like another poorly planned government scheme with not enough thought. I fear for the poor Thai people.

• Like 2

I think many Thai people would prefer food vouchers instead of having to stand in a line waiting for handouts how degrading for local people