Pattaya: The long wait for handouts

webfact

The long wait for handouts

By THE NATION

800_6defb6722f8a8b8.jpg?v=1590636067

Some 1,000 locals in Chonburi province were queuing up from as early as 1am on Thursday (May 28) at Soi Thappaya 5 in Banglamung district to receive handouts of food and consumer products provided by the Norwegian Seamen's Church Pattaya.

The church distributes 2,000 packs of the handouts at 9am every Thursday to people who have been affected by the Covid-19 situation in Pattaya, the famous tourist city that has been shut down to avoid the outbreak.

AF6jEZvOYGW6flwN_053911.jpg

At around 3am, police officers from Muang Pattaya Station came to disperse the crowd as 11pm to 4am are curfew hours imposed by the government. However, a news source said that the crowd dispersed only temporarily and queued up again once the police had gone.

iM4IQlcIX5scgpMi_053756.jpg

One of the villagers, whose house is located near the church, expressed concern that the gathering of the crowd could increase the risk of Covid-19 spreading as social distancing measures are not maintained in the queue, which is almost half a kilometre long. “Furthermore, their loud chattering is really annoying and kept us up until dawn,” they added.

m58L1AbaqJArzq3s_054059.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388642

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-28

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Some 1,000 locals in Chonburi province were queuing up from as early as 1am on Thursday (May 28)     during curfew and definitely no social distancing what a joke .

do share the joke - I'm not getting it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Can't believe all those people are so desperate for holiday vouchers

Another take on it is the amount of people who''ll lose their jobs in tourism. In my regular hotel in Bangkok I think about 85% of their staff have been laid-off, for now anyway. There are 2 long term residents living there, in what is a 50'ish room hotel.

At Virgin Atlantic, it wasn't Mr Branson that I was so concerned about, more the 8,500 other people that worked there.

Edited by Andrew65

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Shows how desperate the situation is, yet still the authorities are nowhere to be seen in feeding starving people. I have pumped money into various handouts around the darkside and am supporting an entire family (not my own),on an ongoing basis. Many of my friends have been active in doing so also. Why is the government doing so little?

Well a heck of a lot of wasted man power is spent guarding the beach to make sure no one walks on the sand.....I am not sure the numbers but I bet there are between 50 and 100 guards on just the Pattaya section of beach......

Now if these guards were handing out food instead, they could sure move a lot of food....

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

they could careless

COULDN'T CARE LESS is the correct English expression.

Just so you do not learn your English from a Thai teacher.   PML

Edited by stouricks
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Can't believe all those people are so desperate for holiday vouchers

I really cant see these folk qualifying for 50% reduction  on Hotels from the Government.

And if all the Hotels have staff working, then the Government does not need to subsidise them.