Covid care questions

ritchied

I am working on a paper on patient experiences with private hospitals here in Bangkok relating to Covid-19 testing and/or treatment.

It does not matter whether you were tested positive or negative. This is about your experience with the hospital, their care, testing, communication, accuracy, etc. No PII will be used unless you provide specific approval. You must be willing to provide proof that you went to a provider and tested.   This is not for a commercial service or purpose; it is research. We could conduct the discussion over email, Line, phone or in person (I'll buy a you a coffee or lunch if needed). 15-30 minutes is what the average time has been so far.

If you have had good or bad experiences relating to this and feel your experiences could be beneficial to others, please contact me and we can discuss.

Thank you

good luck with your research, but not only don't I know anyone who has had Covid 19, I don't know of anyone who knows anyone who has had it. That in my case must cover over 300 people world wide,  and not one case,  so make up your own mind about the percentage of infection in the general population. Good luck finding anyone to respond to your request.  

Well, consider yourself fortunate.  I have spoke to 30 people that were tested here in BKK, all but 2 were negative.  The research is understanding (from the patient's perspective) what their experience was regardless of the diagnosis.  Besides that, I happen to know 3 families that have lost loved ones to this. 

Thanks

19 minutes ago, ritchied said:

Well, consider yourself fortunate.  I have spoke to 30 people that were tested here in BKK, all but 2 were negative.  The research is understanding (from the patient's perspective) what their experience was regardless of the diagnosis.  Besides that, I happen to know 3 families that have lost loved ones to this. 

Thanks

Wow. You know 28 infected people?! 

Do you work in a hospital on the covid ward perhaps? 

I will add that I have spoken to 3 people that were, in their words "intimidated" when they went for testing at some private hospitals and told they should spend the night in the hospital pending their results.  Next day, negative and 30-40k baht bill for overnight in isolation/negative pressure room.  Another small section of people were tested positive initially then when the 2nd lab came back it was negative.

I'm afraid I can't help you. I have gotten a lot of friends in Thailand over the nearly 30 years I have lived there and I know no Thai who has even had covid-19 symptoms. I know one westerner who was sitting close to a Chinese that was coughing a lot on the bus to Trad late January. He got fever for 5-6 days and a really irritating dry cough that lasted nearly 3 weeks. He never went to hospital and is abroad now. 

On 6/6/2020 at 12:49 AM, ritchied said:

I will add that I have spoken to 3 people that were, in their words "intimidated" when they went for testing at some private hospitals and told they should spend the night in the hospital pending their results.  Next day, negative and 30-40k baht bill for overnight in isolation/negative pressure room.  Another small section of people were tested positive initially then when the 2nd lab came back it was negative.

Were these people symptomatic at the time?

Edited by rabas

14 hours ago, rabas said:

Were these people symptomatic at the time?

They were not feeling well... one had a stomach bug, the other two had very mild cold like symptoms.  From what I can see, the past and current MOPH guidelines do not require hospitalization prior to a confirmed case.  To be clear, they were not told they must stay.... it was conveyed to me as a manipulation.  In speaking to doctors at 2 public hospitals here, they would never suggest to spend the night pending the test results for anyone with only mild symptoms,

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone that was asymptomatic but went for a test at one of the larger private hospitals to be sure.  He got an initial positive test result that required the 2nd "reference lab" test for confirmation.  The 2nd reference lab report came back negative although the hospital did not tell him or share with him the official results (until 6 weeks later).  Instead, the hospital said he has 2 positives and was required to be admitted to the hospital.  He was in the hospital for a few days and insisted on another test which came back negative and was released.  The hospital knew the day he was admitted that he was negative.  

Besides the unnecessary medication cocktail, the 100,000s of baht spent and the self imposed quarantine for his friends and family, the emotion roller coaster described was intense.  What would you do if you found out the hospital lied to you about this?

• 6 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 9:51 PM, ritchied said:

I know someone that was asymptomatic but went for a test at one of the larger private hospitals to be sure.  He got an initial positive test result that required the 2nd "reference lab" test for confirmation.  The 2nd reference lab report came back negative although the hospital did not tell him or share with him the official results (until 6 weeks later).  Instead, the hospital said he has 2 positives and was required to be admitted to the hospital.  He was in the hospital for a few days and insisted on another test which came back negative and was released.  The hospital knew the day he was admitted that he was negative.  

Besides the unnecessary medication cocktail, the 100,000s of baht spent and the self imposed quarantine for his friends and family, the emotion roller coaster described was intense.  What would you do if you found out the hospital lied to you about this?

This story is pretty outrageous if it's true.  If it could be proven with facts, wouldn't that be a court case against the hospital, even in Thailand? 

You should provide an update on your research here, if you want your reports to be taken seriously.