Thailand reports 11 new coronavirus cases, no new deaths

webfact

Thailand reports 11 new coronavirus cases, no new deaths

s2.reutersmedia.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Thursday reported 11 new coronavirus cases and no new deaths, bringing its total to 3,065 confirmed cases and 57 fatalities since the outbreak started in January.

The cases were Thai nationals in quarantine who recently returned from overseas, including four from Kuwait, six from Qatar, and one from India, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government's coronavirus task force.

There are 2,945 patients who have recovered since the outbreak started.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-28

3 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

These recent reports support the narrative that Thailand is free of Covid-19 infection risk. The only people who are at risk are those unfortunate to be stuck outside Thailand in countries that haven't yet eradicated the virus. If any Thai people are watching these reports, seems like it might be harder and harder to get them to comply with precautions. 

Really?

The numbers are creeping up daily......

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

7 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

Did you miss the part where it says they are all returnees from abroad in state quarantine?

Yes I did - I didn't read correctly.

However I still maintain that the amount of testing is dropping, so therefore the number of cases will of course be less.

11 new Covid-19 cases reported, all returnees from abroad

By The Nation

800_18d210cba287634.jpg?v=1590642396

There were 11 new cases of Covid-19 over a 24-hour period, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said on Thursday (May 28).

The total number of Covid-19 patients since the outbreak increased to 3,065.

Six patients -- five male masseuses and one female housemaid -- had returned from Qatar on May 22 and underwent quarantine in Bangkok; three of the six are asymptomatic. All reported positive on May 26.

Four men were working in an international company’s camp and returned from Kuwait on May 24 and underwent quarantine in Bangkok. They had fever and runny nose.

One female traveller, 32, had returned from India on May 22 and underwent quarantine in Samut Prakan. She was asymptomatic and detected as a Covid-19 patient on May 25.

Meanwhile, 14 patients fully recovered and returned home.

As of May 28, the total number of confirmed cases in the country still stood at 3,065 -- 63 are under treatment, 2,945 have recovered and been discharged, and 57 died.

Globally, the total number of confirmed cases is around 5.6 million with about 350,000 deaths.

Since the Covid-19 outbreak in Thailand, 621 confirmed cases have come from abroad while 2,444 patients, or around 80 per cent of total cases, were infected locally.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388646

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-28

8 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

However I still maintain that the amount of testing is dropping, so therefore the number of cases will of course be less.

Many countries only test if you have symptoms. No one with symptoms, no tests.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

35 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

Testing is not the issue at this point. There have been so few cases in all of Thailand for over 14 days. And even if they did test more. They would have to test the same people every day as the virus can bloat dormant for 14 days. Also the hospitals are overwhelmed with sick people. We would definitely know if there were that many sick people in the hospitals. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

What if a country only tested people coming in from abroad. What would those reports look like?

52 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

where it says they are all returnees from abroad in state quarantine?

11 from just a few plane loads.

I wonder what the numbers would be if they actually tested just the equivalent of a few plane loads of asymptomatic people from each province nationwide on a daily basis.

• Thanks 1

They have the arrivals by air well-contained, and it's evident that the problem now is infections arriving from outside Thailand, so I wonder just how well the land borders are secured? I've no doubt the official border crossings are guarded, but there's not many of those for over 3,000 miles of border.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I know it's tough for the tourism industry, but under the current proposals of having tourists quarantine for 14 days when they arrive, they ain't going to get anybody. Lift the quarantine requirements you may get more numbers but you will almost certainly increase numbers of infected persons. You shouldn't forget that all these people being re patronized are meant to be holding documentation stating they are free of the Covid-19 virus.

There definitely would be people coming with the 14 day quarantine. There are people who need to be in certain places and don't have one year visas or resident status. The 14 day quarantine would keep things in check as recent research from Singapore shows the virus isn't infectious after 11 days. It makes sense to lift these flight bans relatively soon (July?) with sensible precautions in place.

10 minutes ago, Guderian said:

They have the arrivals by air well-contained, and it's evident that the problem now is infections arriving from outside Thailand, so I wonder just how well the land borders are secured? I've no doubt the official border crossings are guarded, but there's not many of those for over 3,000 miles of border.

"it's evident that the problem now is infections arriving from outside Thailand"...from these reports.

14 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

Seems like they are hoping for an increase in numbers, maybe they enjoy the lockdown.

That logic seems to suggest that if we don't enjoy the lockdown, we should let critical thinking go out the window and just stop questioning anything.

1 minute ago, vermin on arrival said:

There definitely would be people coming with the 14 day quarantine. There are people who need to be in certain places and don't have one year visas or resident status. The 14 day quarantine would keep things in check as recent research from Singapore shows the virus isn't infectious after 11 days. It makes sense to lift these flight bans relatively soon (July?) with sensible precautions in place.

I agree that there are certain people that need to be in certain places, but I don't think these are tourists as such. I feel for those that have been separated by circumstances from relationships in Thailand and still (from the beginning) believe they should receive a higher order of priority than they are currently getting in getting them back.

This however is a global problem affecting non residents in the majority of countries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

If any Thai people are watching these reports, seems like it might be harder and harder to get them to comply with precautions. 

Seems quite a discriminatory comment.

Are you out much? Falang are some of the biggest embarassment violators not complying.  The latest one seems to be wearing a mask half on with their big fat uncovered noses sticking out the top.

Whats the point? Just really stupid.

2 hours ago, JCP108 said:

These recent reports support the narrative that Thailand is free of Covid-19 infection risk. The only people who are at risk are those unfortunate to be stuck outside Thailand in countries that haven't yet eradicated the virus. If any Thai people are watching these reports, seems like it might be harder and harder to get them to comply with precautions. 

Thais are the chosen people in their Holy Land. The heretics who dared to travel out are being punished 

That's the gist of the spin.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

You're right have symptoms get tested. But mass testing captures the asymptomatic and pre-sympomatic both of which can spread the virus hence countries that test more than just the symptomatic will have higher infection numbers those that don't will have lower infection numbers.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Four men were working in an international company’s camp and returned from Kuwait on May 24 and underwent quarantine in Bangkok. They had fever and runny nose.

sounds more like a seasonal cold - I wonder did they actually test them