Windows 10 2004 version

chrisinth

As this is an informative thread, I would just like to mention another couple of things.

As (my) rule of thumb, I took a full image of all the machines before upgrading. In 99% of cases this would not be necessary, but 99 does not equal 100. Always good practice to play safe. If anything goes tits, it is only about 20 minutes to get back to where you started by loading the image.

If anyone is in the Windows Insider program (I run one laptop on Insider), the media creation tool will not allow you to upgrade keeping applications & Data. It will allow you install it's version of a clean install (keep none). If you are in this circumstance, IMO, it would be much better to convert the ISO with something like Rufus to USB and do a complete fresh install from there.

This actually took quite a long time for this upgrade. All 3 machines are running on SSDs and have ample RAM, but between 60 & 80% of completed install things slowed down a lot.

2 hours ago, howto said:

Concur!!  I urge caution on ANY update especially on a "production" or sole machine.

I have Win 10 Pro

Feature updates deferred for 365 days  (2004 is one of these)
Quality updates deferred for 30 days

On my Win 10 Home rigs, I've deferred updates for as long as possible and set WiFi "metered"

As I no longer get paid to find bugs, I shall wait until at least 3 months after it's generally released to installed it on my "lean, mean computing machine" ????

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:33 PM, howto said:

On 5/29/2020 at 11:15 PM, VBF said:

Concur!!  I urge caution on ANY update especially on a "production" or sole machine.

Agree 100%. Ever since I installed this <deleted> feature update a couple of days ago on my Acer laptop, it has started freezing at regular intervals, thus forcing me each time to go through the tedious routine of a complete reboot.

So thanks a million, Microsoft, for screwing me (and my laptop) up with this <deleted> feature update!

EDIT: And now I find that I cannot add any emoticons on here for some mysterious reason!! Grrrr!!!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, bendejo said:

So the 2020 version of Windows 10 is called version 2004. 

Maybe the upcoming Beatles anthology will be called The History of the Rolling Stones.

MS haven't done a brilliant job of naming Windows versions have they?

This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history purports to explain them

These threads (and this forum) worth following, IMO:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/157218-what-new-windows-10-may-2020-update-version-2004-a.html

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/157138-known-resolved-issues-windows-10-may-2020-update-version-2004-a.html

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

Agree 100%. Ever since I installed this <deleted> feature update a couple of days ago on my Acer laptop, it has started freezing at regular intervals, thus forcing me each time to go through the tedious routine of a complete reboot.

So thanks a million, Microsoft, for screwing me (and my laptop) up with this <deleted> feature update!

EDIT: And now I find that I cannot add any emoticons on here for some mysterious reason!! Grrrr!!!

If you go into Settings and Update & Security, it should give you the option of going back to your previous install.

This is the reason I make a full image before installing new features.

recovery.jpg.e9d132f07c10b162d627819776d9e361.jpg

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

This is the reason why I run 10 Pro. I've set all feature updates to be delayed for at least 150 days.

I'm not going to be a Guinea pig.

Everyone on Windows 10 Home is effectively that.

There are a lot of ways to get around this problem with W10 home and other versions. One of the easier ways is using 3rd party apps such as the one below. When you are ready to update, just uncheck and away you go. Installed or portable options with this.

disable.jpg.3eebf8cf87ec413dbe2bca353b2c6acd.jpg 

I'm using Win 10 Home edition because it came with my Asus laptop (2016) and, well, if it ain't broke no need to fix it.

I use a small utility called WUB (learned about it from someone here on TVF, I think).  Actually, it does the same thing I was doing manually, which is to shutdown the Win update service. 

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

This is the reason I make a full image before installing new features.

Can't be said often enough.  If you don't have the time, run the backup before going to bed, or before going out for the day.

From my experience as a victim user as well as a developer, I have no faith in incremental backups, patch updates, and installment rollbacks.  But I may just give them a chance, once I have a solid backup.

Haven't done a Win update in a few months, maybe this week...

• Like 1

I have 2 x W10 Pro PCs, one is an Intel NUC, the other an i5 thing I put together 5 years ago. I let Windows do whatever it wants to do regarding updates, Defender, never 'tweak' any settings, and both run perfectly, boot up in 30 seconds. I do an Acronis incremental back-up every day, with a full after after 14 increments.

My theory is that if Mr Gates, with all his experience, doesn't know...how would I?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

I installed this new version last week and all is OK but I read today that MS has now put this upgrade on hold until they iron out some issues.

Haven't seen anything about MS putting the new version (2004) on hold but they are slowly rolling it out and are blocking it from some devices right now.   Below article is typical of various articles I've seen for days now talking about the latest release and why MS is slowly releasing it.  

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/1/21276653/microsoft-windows-10-may-2020-update-block-known-issues-list

For me, I don't plan to update from 1909 to 2004 until around 1 July on my three Lenovo laptops....give MS time to release at release one update for 2004.   Been pretty much my standard practice for the last several major updates....give the new version a month or so to season/fix any major bugs.  

On 6/1/2020 at 6:58 PM, stouricks said:

What's that take, a minute!

I know it is a P I T A but hey, go make a cuppa, and it will be re-booted.

Rather longer than 1 minute in my case; more like 5 at the very absolute minimum. Frustrating in the extreme if I'm in the middle of something.

15 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

I installed this new version last week and all is OK but I read today that MS has now put this upgrade on hold until they iron out some issues.

Yeah, ran updates today on my Win Home 1909 and 2004 was not offered.

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

Rather longer than 1 minute in my case; more like 5 at the very absolute minimum. Frustrating in the extreme if I'm in the middle of something.

Then you need to run something like Glary Utilities to clean up any junk, and have a look at Start-Up Manager, in Glary or Windows. Defrag or optimise your diskd, HDD or SSD?

On 6/1/2020 at 9:06 PM, Bruno123 said:

This is the reason why I run 10 Pro. I've set all feature updates to be delayed for at least 150 days.

I'm not going to be a Guinea pig.

Everyone on Windows 10 Home is effectively that.

I was an early adopter for the Microsoft Vista OS.  Never again. 

After that debacle, I sat back and waited for a Service Pack or new Build Number to be released before migrating.  ????