Registering an unregistered motorbike in Thailand.

With so many bikes of all shapes and colours on the market, unless it is something extremely exotic and exceptionally cheap it won't be worth the hassle. Previous owner, previously registered, is it imported,....lots of SR 400s, Steeds and many ithers put together here with no chance of ever getting a book

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:22 PM, Peter Barton said:

The bike is a Honda CB400. It has never been registered. It has all the tax paid documents.

Why do you not quote a poster to get an answer.

A CB400 is the same bike I had with paid documents there were many about and still are I guess but rode locally until they are confiscated nowadays..

Years ago, not now as far as I know they were made up from bits of bikes of the same from a container which Thai motorcycle shops got from Japan.

Mine had a 1998 frame and a 400SF 2001 engine, I bought it in CM in 2006 for 67,000 baht and tried to get a green book for it.

You had to pay something like 27,000 baht for full inspection in Bangkok and if it failed you would have to pay again if you fixed it.

A guy told my mrs don't waste your money he had never seen a bike pass first time he said they would fail for the slightest thing.

In other words forget it.  

On 5/28/2020 at 3:14 PM, KarenBravo said:

If no tax has been paid on it for six years in a row, it can't be done (or, so I've been told). Best check with the authorities.

Not correct, if it's been register and has a green book you can get it re-registered and tax & ins again. 

On 5/28/2020 at 8:14 AM, KarenBravo said:

If no tax has been paid on it for six years in a row, it can't be done (or, so I've been told). Best check with the authorities.

As mentioned not right. If no tax paid 3 years then it will be unregistered but one can always register something even something built in your own shed with a lawnmower motor but the question is just what the hassle will be to get it to pass tests and what taxes have to be paid.

Edited by eisfeld