What is your next motorcycle?

Tagged

If I decided I really wanted a new bike, I would seriously consider an "Adventure Bike" of some type. Most of the ones I see though appear to be more "highway" than they are "adventure". 
Harley is trying to get into that market as well with their 2020 HD Pan-American. Looks a little more "adventure" than a lot of the other ones.

87843503_10157854427664220_8860017588864811008_n.jpg.5709cd1ad790f60385ab33cd2de72bcd.jpg   87302436_10157854427729220_1361259188335935488_o.jpg.5f387d07936ae9059f7308b3df32ac61.jpg

Have to be careful going up hills if you have those panniers loaded though. They look huge !

It looks like an ideal bike for riding in Thailand though as it can handle the regular highways as well as the crappy roads, dirt roads, cow trails (if you don't pay attention when using google maps or like to visit places "off the beaten trail" like I do), never ending construction zones and would motor through a lot of the "flooding" that would keep other bikes parked in service stations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

If I decided I really wanted a new bike, I would seriously consider an "Adventure Bike" of some type. Most of the ones I see though appear to be more "highway" than they are "adventure". 
Harley is trying to get into that market as well with their 2020 HD Pan-American. Looks a little more "adventure" than a lot of the other ones.

87843503_10157854427664220_8860017588864811008_n.jpg.5709cd1ad790f60385ab33cd2de72bcd.jpg   87302436_10157854427729220_1361259188335935488_o.jpg.5f387d07936ae9059f7308b3df32ac61.jpg

Have to be careful going up hills if you have those panniers loaded though. They look huge !

It looks like an ideal bike for riding in Thailand though as it can handle the regular highways as well as the crappy roads, dirt roads, cow trails (if you don't pay attention when using google maps or like to visit places "off the beaten trail" like I do), never ending construction zones and would motor through a lot of the "flooding" that would keep other bikes parked in service stations.

I recently saw this video. Looks like enough adventure for me.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I recently saw this video. Looks like enough adventure for me.

I believe for guys who do this sort of riding a lot a 300 Husaberg (now Husqvarna) two-stroke single is the weapon of choice. But that is just what I have witnessed before. They all seem to be from Yorkshire and don't talk much.

For me now if there is no line on a map I will ride around.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This looks like 300kg to me. Sounds like an adventure if you ever drop that thing.

Can't find a weight for the bike (yet), seems Harley hasn't released that info yet. I recall reading awhile ago that this wasn't in production yet. I think they are doing testing and getting feedback before making alterations and adjustments. Maybe will affect the weight as well.

Saw one comparison to a Triumph Tiger 1200, which clocks in at 547 pounds (US) or about 250 kgs. Probably the "dry" weight. My Heritage Softail is about 325 kgs dry and sits a lot lower (but so does the exhaust and it doesn't have the clearance the Pan American has). Still, 75(ish) kilos less weight would make a fair difference when it comes to handling the bike, especially on non-paved roads.

I've take the Softail on some crappy trails and was thankful they were dry. Would have hated to had to manhandle it along muddy cow trails

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I believe for guys who do this sort of riding a lot a 300 Husaberg (now Husqvarna) two-stroke single is the weapon of choice. But that is just what I have witnessed before. They all seem to be from Yorkshire and don't talk much.

For me now if there is no line on a map I will ride around.

If they only want that kind of riding then obviously a lighter bike is better. But I was amazed what he did with that big bike on those tracks. Amazing! I wouldn't want to try those tracks myself with any bike. But the video shows it's possible even with such a big Adventure bike.

1 minute ago, jvs said:

This would be the bike i would go for,a little expensive but a great bike to see Thailand on and off the beaten track.

Tชมครบทุกมุม Honda CT125 Concept คืนชีพ Trail Cub จ่อขาย CUB House ...

Other than engine size, that is almost identical to the old "Honda 90" I rode as a kid back in 1969 !

This is a 1972 Honda CT90 (mine was much older, maybe a '66 or 67).
1024px-1972_Honda_trail_90.jpg.41bf830908f6be95a4fbd27cee603bf6.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Can't find a weight for the bike (yet), seems Harley hasn't released that info yet. I recall reading awhile ago that this wasn't in production yet. I think they are doing testing and getting feedback before making alterations and adjustments. Maybe will affect the weight as well.

Saw one comparison to a Triumph Tiger 1200, which clocks in at 547 pounds (US) or about 250 kgs. Probably the "dry" weight. My Heritage Softail is about 325 kgs dry and sits a lot lower (but so does the exhaust and it doesn't have the clearance the Pan American has). Still, 75(ish) kilos less weight would make a fair difference when it comes to handling the bike, especially on non-paved roads.

I've take the Softail on some crappy trails and was thankful they were dry. Would have hated to had to manhandle it along muddy cow trails

Most BMs ( GS 1200 / GSA 1200 ) and Ducati Multi's are in the region of 200-225kg or thereabouts, that's with nothing in the panniers that may add 5-10kg per pannier.

• Like 1

In my case it is more of a second bike than next. Currently have a Honda XR250 (the one the photo), which I absolutely love, but would like to get something standard with a bit of a retro feel... So I am now eyeing a Kawa Estrella. An Enfield Himalayan would be even better, but not easy to get in my current location.

xr_01.jpg

estrella.jpg

Edited by shadowofacloud

7 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I'd like to say Royal Enfield or even Triumph if I had the money....

Incidentally I would like to sell a very well maintained and low mileage white Honda CRF 250 dirt bike (2012) if anyone is interested. PM me. 

Rooster

Royal Enfield - I thought that was where the queen kept her chickens?

(sorry!)

When I was in India I rented an Indian made Royal Enfield. The back brake and gear lever were on the 'wrong side' by today's standards. Took a bit of getting used to.

As for a Triumph: When I lived in the UK I borrowed my mate's Bonneville. Only once. I remember it vibrated so much the left-hand handlebar grip kept vibrating itself off the handlebar. Had to stop every few miles to push it back on.

• Haha 2

On 5/29/2020 at 12:21 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Even if you can do it yourself maintenance is an issue because it will be difficult to impossible to get spare-parts.

I had a VFR400 and I loved that bike. But I sold it a couple of years ago because it was impossible to get parts - even for my Thai mechanic who was specialized on that bike.

That's I was told about my 25 year old CBR900RR-R you can get parts.

I did repairs and tuning myself because Honda Big Bike in Phitsanulok are as useful as a fart in a spacesuit, unless you buy new and even then I wouldn't trust them. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I was n't speaking to you

I reckon your right even as said in jest, guess Brit man took it that way.

I always find it strange Thai people and others call all 2 wheeled vehicles " motor-cycle" a Honda Click is a scooter with an engine. ????