Curfew hours to be reduced, more businesses to reopen

webfact

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Everything should be re-opened immediately. Everything. All shops, all bars, every enterprise in the nation. This thing is under control, and the risk now, is not being able to ramp up the economy again, in any reasonable period of time, and having millions of people out of work, for extended periods of time. Let the people get back to work. The threat is over. The army needs to end their power trip, and consider the well being of the economy and the people. June 1st. Open up every business. At least the ones who have not been crippled, and are able to re-open. Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of businesses may never be able to re-open, after this insane experiment in economic shutdown is over. It is an experiment for the rich and for government workers on a full salary! 

I agree fully. 

But I'd let the enforced 14 day quarantine in place, but expended to include foreigners. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

I agree fully. 

But I'd let the enforced 14 day quarantine in place, but expended to include foreigners. 

Only foreigners who recently entered Thailand. All people who enter from abroad have to be very carefully screened, especially from super toxic (very high infection numbers) nations like the US, Russia, Brazil, the UK, Spain, Italy, etc. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Everything should be re-opened immediately. Everything. All shops, all bars, every enterprise in the nation. This thing is under control, and the risk now, is not being able to ramp up the economy again, in any reasonable period of time, and having millions of people out of work, for extended periods of time. Let the people get back to work. The threat is over. The army needs to end their power trip, and consider the well being of the economy and the people. June 1st. Open up every business. At least the ones who have not been crippled, and are able to re-open. Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of businesses may never be able to re-open, after this insane experiment in economic shutdown is over. It is an experiment for the rich and for government workers on a full salary! 

Only takes 1...Look at South Korea what's happened...sudden outbreak and all schools closed immediatly. Cities in China on lockdown already because of 2nd wave....by all means open every thing up.....but bet ya bottom dollar numbers will spike within a week or so and we are back to square one.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The problem is that people don't want to do that. They simply won't go to the restaurant and they'll cook at home and sit on the balcony with a glass of wine or a nice cold beer instead. Even if they did want to go and reminisce about what it was like being treated like a child, the restaurant wouldn't make any money because a lot of profit comes from the drinks.

All of which means the restaurant doesn't open and the workers don't get paid. The government loses the tax from the workers incomes and the profits of the business. Maybe they end up closing down and the building owner loses his rent for several months until he finds a new tenant.

And for what? The virus is under control now. It won't come back until they open the borders. So it's all for nothing. All because Prayut sees himself as some kind of puritanical, moral authority ????.

our way around this restriction is to bring our own bottle of wine and pay 300 baht corkage. not perfect, but everyone wins. the regulation restricting sale of booze at restaurants is insane.

• Thanks 1

When are the beaches in Phuket going to open for swimming, surfing, and snorkling? Other countries that had more problems with the plandemic are opening up beaches to one degree or another. Strong sunshine reportedly kills the virus. Beaches with strong sunlight, fresh air, salty water, opportunity for exercise such as swimming are good places to gain and maintain health.

Edited by Steven Brothers
spelling correction

The whole idea of quarantine was to 'flatten the curve' to where hospitals could handle the outbreak. They have far exceeded that. It seems this app to trace every footstep is excessive when there are so few COVID-19 cases in Thailand. A thousand a day? Yes. This is like trying to stamp out the common cold. It ain't going to happen without a vaccine for everyone even if you assigned a medical professional to follow every person in Thailand around every day, all day.

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

Only takes 1...Look at South Korea what's happened...sudden outbreak and all schools closed immediatly. Cities in China on lockdown already because of 2nd wave....by all means open every thing up.....but bet ya bottom dollar numbers will spike within a week or so and we are back to square one.

Nope. Wrong. It is gone from Thailand. Only cases are people coming into the country. You can open the nation up 100% tomorrow, including all nightlife, and the number of cases will remain in the single digits, then fade into nothing. It is the foreigners who are about to be allowed back in, that is going to be the real challenge. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nope. Wrong. It is gone from Thailand. Only cases are people coming into the country. You can open the nation up 100% tomorrow, including all nightlife, and the number of cases will remain in the single digits, then fade into nothing. It is the foreigners who are about to be allowed back in, that is going to be the real challenge. 

bullshot !

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The people who sell their goods at them. They have to first go to wholesaler then bring the goods to the market and set up their stalls.

Not that I can see any point to the curfew at all, COVID wise. But ending it at 3 if there is one makes some sense.

The COVID curfew was essential.  Everyone knows the SARS-CoV-2 virus came from bats, and bats come out at night.

Or was it Pangolins .... whatever, they are nocturnal too.

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, eeworldwide said:

No!!! That would plunge the restaurant into paralysis, as well as spreading COVID19 nationwide and jamming the wheels of commerce into a state of perpetual inertia.

Many restaurants , are in total paralysis , never to open again .

As  for beer bars , they are history ..

Edited by elliss

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The strain that's causing havoc elsewhere might be mostly absent from Thailand but ready to invade. Even if they keep the borders closed, it'll seep through the North from Russia though China and Laos or from the west from India ro Bangladesh to Myanmar. There is no escape, eventually most of humanity will get it, unless there's a vaccine. The question is how long this'll take. Spanish flu took a year and a half and the world wasn't locked down like it is now. 

We are in the eye of the storm now. Let's hope it lasts for a good few months.

6 hours ago, Kinnock said:

The COVID curfew was essential.  Everyone knows the SARS-CoV-2 virus came from bats, and bats come out at night.

Or was it Pangolins .... whatever, they are nocturnal too.

Could  have been  Dracula and sunlight  kills  him too!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The strain that's causing havoc elsewhere might be mostly absent from Thailand but ready to invade.

MAY 6, 2020

The Problem With Stories About Dangerous Coronavirus Mutations
There’s no clear evidence that the pandemic virus has evolved into significantly different forms—and there probably won’t be for months.

(But) on May 5, the Los Angeles Times wrote about it, claiming that “a now-dominant strain of the coronavirus could be more contagious than [the] original.” That story quickly went … well … viral.

But “the conclusions are overblown,” says Lisa Gralinski of the University of North Carolina, who is one of the few scientists in the world who specializes in coronaviruses. “To say that you’ve revealed the emergence of a more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2 without ever actually testing it isn’t the type of thing that makes me feel comfortable as a scientist.” She and other virologists I’ve spoken with who were not involved in the Los Alamos research agree that the paper’s claims are plausible, but not justified by the evidence it presents. More important, they’re not convinced different strains of the coronavirus exist at all.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/coronavirus-strains-transmissible/611239/

Edited by SkyFax

13 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The strain that's causing havoc elsewhere might be mostly absent from Thailand but ready to invade. Even if they keep the borders closed, it'll seep through the North from Russia though China and Laos or from the west from India ro Bangladesh to Myanmar. There is no escape, eventually most of humanity will get it, unless there's a vaccine. The question is how long this'll take. Spanish flu took a year and a half and the world wasn't locked down like it is now. 

We are in the eye of the storm now. Let's hope it lasts for a good few months.

The world is coming to an end. This is the Zombie Apocalypse. I am so scared, I do not want to leave my home, ever again! Sorry, but this kind of mindless panic mongering is just not beneficial for anyone. Frankly, I think it should be illegal. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SkyFax said:

MAY 6, 2020

The Problem With Stories About Dangerous Coronavirus Mutations
There’s no clear evidence that the pandemic virus has evolved into significantly different forms—and there probably won’t be for months.

If you want 100% bulletproof evidence now, then create a time machine. In the meanwhile, probabilities are what we use. Given all the atches with the timelines I'm sticking with it until proven wrong.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The world is coming to an end. This is the Zombie Apocalypse. I am so scared, I do not want to leave my home, ever again! Sorry, but this kind of mindless panic mongering is just not beneficial for anyone. Frankly, I think it should be illegal. 

Well, would you like to visit NYC or Sao Paolo right now?

32 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

If you want 100% bulletproof evidence now, then create a time machine. In the meanwhile, probabilities are what we use. Given all the atches with the timelines I'm sticking with it until proven wrong.

From The Atlantic article linked above:

We have evidence for one strain,” says Brian Wasik at Cornell University.

“I would say there’s just one,” says Nathan Grubaugh at Yale School of Medicine.

“I think the majority of people studying [coronavirus genetics] wouldn’t recognize more than one strain right now,” says Charlotte Houldcroft at the University of Cambridge.

43 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Well, would you like to visit NYC or Sao Paolo right now?

Am I missing something? This is a Thailand thread. And we are discussing Thailand covid cases. And the lack of a need for lockdown, HERE!

I think what you are engaging in is known as deflection. It is not helpful. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 3:58 PM, spidermike007 said:

Am I missing something? This is a Thailand thread. And we are discussing Thailand covid cases. And the lack of a need for lockdown, HERE!

I think what you are engaging in is known as deflection. It is not helpful. 

Yes, you missed the argument that Covid is still raging outside Thailand and opening the borders will bring it back in. 

Edited by DrTuner