Car Insurance in Thailand..need advice

Jimlim

Hello good friends, foreigners living in Thailand,

I am a newby to living here.  I just got a new used car 2018.  I would like to know if anyone has experience with insurance company here that you may want to recommend.  I will purchase package 1 (the best available), but buying it from which insurance company is the more important consideration for me.  In United States, insurance companies are rated by outside sources such as AAA, Consumer's Report, or Moody Rating, etc.

I don't know which or what website to look for such rating or reviews of insurance companies in Thailand.  So..your experience & reply would highly appreciated. Thank you!

I hope you mean that you 'are buying' and are not driving a newly acquired car without adequate cover?  In Thailand, as elsewhere,  that would be plain stupid. Sorry if that is a false assumption on my part.   My first insurance here was through the car company where I bought my new car. Following that first year, I moved to Roojai for all my insurance.  To me they are the best and easiest to deal with.  With them I get fully comprehensive insurance, plus road side assistance, at a very good price. Find them online.    As you are a newby here, ensure that you get a Thai licence after a max 3 months. even with an IDP, otherwise you may find your insurance is invalid if you are not correct licenced for Thailand. Others will tell you that an IDP lasts a year, that is true, but you can only drive on it in Thailand  for a maximum of 3 months of stay here.  Any claim that you make will be cross checked against the immigration stamp in your passport to confirm your date of arrival.  if others tell you differently then they are wrong, so don't risk your insurance validity on other people's false opinion.  Of course the DLT Offices are closed right now, but will reopen for licencing open soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I hope you mean that you 'are buying' and are not driving a newly acquired car without adequate cover?  In Thailand, as elsewhere,  that would be plain stupid. Sorry if that is a false assumption on my part.   My first insurance here was through the car company where I bought my new car. Following that first year, I moved to Roojai for all my insurance.  To me they are the best and easiest to deal with.  With them I get fully comprehensive insurance, plus road side assistance, at a very good price. Find them online.    As you are a newby here, ensure that you get a Thai licence after a max 3 months. even with an IDP, otherwise you may find your insurance is invalid if you are not correct licenced for Thailand. Others will tell you that an IDP lasts a year, that is true, but you can only drive on it in Thailand  for a maximum of 3 months of stay here.  Any claim that you make will be cross checked against the immigration stamp in your passport to confirm your date of arrival.  if others tell you differently then they are wrong, so don't risk your insurance validity on other people's false opinion.  Of course the DLT Offices are closed right now, but will reopen for licencing open soon. 

Thank you Pilotman,

Most people's assumption of me are wrong:)  I do not have to worry about the immigration stamp neither, since I am a Thai citizen, and a US citizen.  Thanks again for your input.

2 minutes ago, Jimlim said:

Thank you Pilotman,

Most people's assumption of me are wrong:)  I do not have to worry about the immigration stamp neither, since I am a Thai citizen, and a US citizen.  Thanks again for your input.

sorry to come back to you, but citizen of Thailand or not, the same rules still apply. As you will know well enough yourself, all Thai citizens are booked back into the country on the Immigration system, even when using a Thai Passport. Sorry again if I am telling you things that you know better than I do.  

Edited by Pilotman

1 hour ago, Jimlim said:

I would like to know if anyone has experience with insurance company

My Experience with insurance companies in Thailand has been quite good---- my wife has had many accidents and even though most of them seem to me, to be her fault. Never had a problem with getting the car fixed.

Jimlin the one thing the Thai's seem to do (unlike the west) if any accident no matter how small, they stop where it happened & wait for the assessor to come. Sometimes causing an almighty traffic jam. These guys are on the road 24/7........so the bigger the company the more assessors, the quicker it gets fixed. Someone may have a good recommendation for you, but after 20+ years of driving here (I have never had a car accident but my wife has had about 17) I find them all much Same-same.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

My Experience with insurance companies in Thailand has been quite good---- my wife has had many accidents and even though most of them seem to me, to be her fault. Never had a problem with getting the car fixed.

Jimlin the one thing the Thai's seem to do (unlike the west) if any accident no matter how small, they stop where it happened & wait for the assessor to come. Sometimes causing an almighty traffic jam. These guys are on the road 24/7........so the bigger the company the more assessors, the quicker it gets fixed. Someone may have a good recommendation for you, but after 20+ years of driving here (I have never had a car accident but my wife has had about 17) I find them all much Same-same.

Sanuk711,

Thank you!  excellent advice. 

23 minutes ago, sungod said:

Where do you live, sometimes a broker can find you a good deal by checking all the companies. I also use her to help with any claims.

Thank you sungod,  I will meet the broker soon, but hope to know which insurance company to select for ease of filing claims.  I live near Hua Hin.

23 minutes ago, sungod said:

Where do you live, sometimes a broker can find you a good deal by checking all the companies. I also use her to help with any claims.

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

just get a quote from roojai online, will be 7-12,000thb ish depends on driver history and car being insured

dont go back to them for a while, the price will come down. 

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

just get a quote from roojai online, will be 7-12,000thb ish depends on driver history and car being insured

steve187, thanks.  Best advice yet...I will get on it.

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

dont go back to them for a while, the price will come down. 

I just checked roojai.com website, but the quotes are only for car up to 2014.  Not for car newer model.  

8 minutes ago, Jimlim said:

I just checked roojai.com website, but the quotes are only for car up to 2014.  Not for car newer model.  

call them, that is wrong info. Mine is  2018

45 minutes ago, Jimlim said:

all covered, make sure the model and engine size is correct, what is it

2 hours ago, Jimlim said:

Thank you sungod,  I will meet the broker soon, but hope to know which insurance company to select for ease of filing claims.  I live near Hua Hin.

I have MSIG and Safety Insurance PLC, both have paid out when required. Biggest issue is getting the garage to do the job in a timely manner, think all insurance companies should push a little harder.