Thai economy could take more than 2 years to recover: Standard Chartered

webfact

Thai economy could take more than 2 years to recover: Standard Chartered

By THE NATION

800_7ef00e69771fc90.jpg?v=1590650422

Tim Leelahaphan, economist at Standard Chartered Bank (Thai)

Standard Chartered Bank today (May 28) said it remains conservative on Thailand’s economic outlook, even as positive signs emerge with the possibility of a further policy rate cut to below 0.25 per cent.

The return to pre-Covid levels of economic activity could take more than two years on the back of improving business sentiment as the economy reopens, the bank assessed, adding the government has been disbursing cash handouts to pandemic-affected households since April.

Standard Chartered forecast Thailand’s 2020 GDP to contract by 5 per cent, with a sharp contraction of 13 per cent in the second quarter, followed by a gradual recovery in the second half of the year.

“The export sector is showing signs of recovery and should benefit from China’s resumption of activity and the easing of lockdowns in other markets. Data released in June is likely to confirm a domestic demand recovery after Thailand’s reopening in May. However, we expect the pace of recovery to be slow,” said Tim Leelahaphan, economist at Standard Chartered Bank (Thai).

“Investment is unlikely to recover until next year or later as Covid-19 is likely to exacerbate existing delays in private and government investment and initiatives, keeping the economy below potential.”

Thailand’s first quarter gross domestic product contracted by 1.8 per cent on year (2.2 per cent contraction on quarter, seasonally adjusted) versus the consensus of a 3.9 per cent contraction on year (4.2 per cent contraction on quarter). This was the first year-on-year contraction since early 2014.

"We expect another 25bps rate cut in the third quarter, taking the policy rate to 0.25 per cent. We also do not rule out further policy rate cuts to below 0.25 per cent, however. Negative rates are unlikely but not off the table,” added Tim.

Standard Chartered said economic growth is far below Thailand’s potential rate of 4 per cent, and headline inflation is below the Bank of Thailand’s 1-3 per cent target range.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30388661

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-28

26 minutes ago, CGW said:

I agree with his opinion, do you have any "sources" to back up your claim?

Seems to be the new TVF go to if you disagree with someones opinion, are personal opinions no longer allowed, back up your "claim" with the nonsense that the MSM spews out instead! ???? 

To many it is the "apocalypse" have you not realised that yet?

Do you have opinions of your own or wait to ride on the back of those that do have them, go ahead and think for yourself, its free & allowed - for now! ????

You're rather aggressive, but hey - I'll bite!

Have you ever entertained the notion that this might well be the second wave of Covd19, and therefore the worst and that things will get better from here on in?

Isn't that altogether more positive?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Trillian said:

That's a one dimensional view. For every existing business that cannot start up once again there will be new businesses getting ready to launch and cash buyers looking to buy existing businesses that are in distress. You seem to imagine the cycle only includes existing business and business owners, it doesn't, it also includes necommers, new capital, acquisitions, mergers, opportunists and others. 

In an economic depression such as the one the world is currently facing the number of businesses closing is significantly higher than those new ones opening. (I don’t know the number for Thailand but in 2009 in the U.K. the net number of businesses closing was 125,000)

This is a much bigger economic crash than 2009 and the pain for the millions of over indebted Thais who have leveraged themselves to the hilt with mortgages, cars, credit cards etc will be severe when unemployment inevitably starts to rise.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tingtong2mut said:

Return to what I wonder. The general domestic economy seemed to be pretty bad before Covid. Tourism down, exports and manufacturing down, farmers in trouble with drout and high baht. Local businesses were closing down left right and centre

Tourism wasn't 'down' pre-covid. 39 million visitors in 2019 vs. 38 million in 2018.

15 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Since the Thai economy and global economies are suffering badly, but somehow the Thai currency is rising sharply. How did they do that?

The market did that. very little debt and large foreign reserves with an authoritarian government in power.

• Like 1

i am not going anyplace because the world will not provide me with health care when leaving the country. there is a need for blanket health care when people travel. people need health care when they travel. how do you do this. 

1 minute ago, ebean001 said:

i am not going anyplace because the world will not provide me with health care when leaving the country. there is a need for blanket health care when people travel. people need health care when they travel. how do you do this. 

Consider health insurance perhaps!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trillian said:

It's not possible to generalise, the number of business in Thailand that close every year has traditionally been quite high, ditto the number of new ones starting up. There's an awful lot of money swilling around in Thailand that's looking for things to buy, banks aren't paying interest and stock markets are regarded with suspicion, the Chinese and Chinese Thai's traditionally invest in business anyway and this time around will be no different. 

It's also not sensible to compare the Thai and UK labour markets, the UK has an unemployment and social security safety net, Thailand has very little in that regard hence people always have to find some work. If push comes to shove native Thai job seekers can always displace the migrant workforce, the Burmese in particular which is a huge segment of the country's labour market.

I liked your post but the UK safety net is slowly breaking apart if the UK tabloids are to be believed.

• Like 1

Just now, soalbundy said:

I liked your post but the UK safety net is slowly breaking apart if the UK tabloids are to be believed.

I won't get too excited until the story migrates from the Express to the Torygraph. ????

I suspect we will see attitudes change towards debt, what used to be a huge number is now being replaced by an even bigger one and people will have to learn to live with that. I see Soros is suggesting that debt should now not have an end date, open ended indebtedness is the thing of the future perhaps, borrow away, as much as you want, you've got forever to repay it.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Since the Thai economy and global economies are suffering badly, but somehow the Thai currency is rising sharply. How did they do that?

Because the western economies are printing $trillions of funny money. Thailand is borrowing 5 bob. The West is printing their currencies into oblivion.

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Which means that the US will either destroy it's currency or default on its debt.

Anyway, I don't fully "believe" in the above. But it's a narrative that is hard to ignore or dismiss.

It's actually incredibly easy to dismiss, firstly the US currency is the world's leading reserve and crisis currency, if there is economic crisis, guess what happens, the US dollar strengthens.

As for the US defaulting on its debt the financial position of the United States includes assets of at least $269.6 trillion (1576% of GDP) and debts of $145.8 trillion (852% of GDP) to produce a net worth of at least $123.8 trillion (723% of GDP) as of Q1 2014.

What this means is that the wealth of the USA is virtually unimaginable.

• Like 2