Have you got a safe?

stubuzz

Most safes that are for sale in Thailand are not really security safes. They are more of a lesser quality security cabinet or a fire safe.

The most common way of securing a safe is with an expanding anchor bolt into a concrete wall or floor.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

"Proper" big safes are secured by their weight!

Slightly smaller ones can be bolted to the floor (access to the fixings from inside of course).

Yes, mine is about 100kgs i think, it's a very awkward item to carry, let alone heavy.

Basically a 3 man lift.

I keep it in my panic room.

• Haha 2

Just surround your home with steel plates

...place an 8" thick steel entry door...and a 6 numbered combination lock on door...

Of course, order all your food and other needs on line and have a secure delivery area.

Have you considered starting a colony of trustworthy people in outer space or underwater?  

Life happens...with or without your participation...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

I have a small wall safe that is screwed to the wall, but i am thinking of buying a bigger free standing model. So, how are these secured to stop thieves carrying them away?

As someone who worked on safes 40 odd years ago (that means I had to open them, once they had been smashed about) Value for money IMO are the underground (underfloor)  safe, (unless you live in a high rise of course). don't be fooled by the-- if its very large and heavy ---if they can deliver them, then they can take them away, & that's what they like to do---make as much noise as they want to somewhere else. Those large chunky safes are held in place with a Dyna (expanding) bolt, a big 6 foot angel bar could usually make enough space to get at it. They recommend putting them in a corner because of that. In the 60s every safe guy was happy to see the invention of the Mini car...because what came with it was a Mini jack, the concrete would be chipped away until you could slide it under and then lift the safe free of the bolt .

I am told now that the new Dyna bolts come with a vial & a mixture of chemicals, as you tighten it it brakes mixes and forms much harder barrier to lift.  Perhaps so---I am out of touch with it all--but I would still go with the underfloor safe....the less you can see the harder it is to open.

Note-: never get a square under/F safe...... they go along to the show rooms pretending to buy, and measure just where the bolts are for drilling.

• Thanks 1

The only thing to stop a thief stealing your safe is .........time.

A professional thief ,safe cracker can just about crack or steal

any safe, certainly the one you are thinking of buying,just think

of Hatton Garden they were able to do it because they had plenty of time.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Not telling, but the panic room is in my underground bunker.

Is it next to the underground spring and natural pool with the shimmering stalactites and stalagmites, if so you must be my neighbor......

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I recall from years back a security expert mentioning:

- Don't get the shop deliver the new safe to your premises.

- Don't use a credit card etc to pay for the safe, pay cash

- Don't give the shop your real name or address.

- Take it home yourself and take it out of the vehicle late at night so nobody can see you taking it into the premises.

- Fix it to the floor yourself.

point 4 you can replace by putting it in one of those big plastic containers sold in those Tescos and Big C ,  (depending the size of safe )

All the other points you mentioned , (as I did once here time ago on TV.) are safe , but TV. repliers called it paranoia ….

Index has reasonable amount of different models for safes , from small to big 

• Haha 1

Buy a large wall safe with a flat front. 

Dig out a large cube in a private room put the wall safe in, surrounded by ree bar, and pour in some concrete, so as the door is facing up, and is flush with the floor. Allow to dry and cover with movable object that is sympathetic to the decor...... Jobs a good'n. 

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

As someone who worked on safes 40 odd years ago (that means I had to open them, once they had been smashed about) Value for money IMO are the underground (underfloor)  safe, (unless you live in a high rise of course). don't be fooled by the-- if its very large and heavy ---if they can deliver them, then they can take them away, & that's what they like to do---make as much noise as they want to somewhere else. Those large chunky safes are held in place with a Dyna (expanding) bolt, a big 6 foot angel bar could usually make enough space to get at it. They recommend putting them in a corner because of that. In the 60s every safe guy was happy to see the invention of the Mini car...because what came with it was a Mini jack, the concrete would be chipped away until you could slide it under and then lift the safe free of the bolt .

I am told now that the new Dyna bolts come with a vial & a mixture of chemicals, as you tighten it it brakes mixes and forms much harder barrier to lift.  Perhaps so---I am out of touch with it all--but I would still go with the underfloor safe....the less you can see the harder it is to open.

Note-: never get a square under/F safe...... they go along to the show rooms pretending to buy, and measure just where the bolts are for drilling.

After a copple of years I made in the big cabinet in the sleepingroom through the concretefloor a hole from 400x600, the ground was about 70cm lower and I put a reinforcement where I put the safe on it. The top of the safe was lower then the bottom of the cabinet, and I mount a double bottom on it.

Only with both doors wide open, is it possible to remove the bottom in a special way. Also safe in case of fire.

Edited by Peterphuket