stubuzz

9 hours ago, talahtnut said:

My mate got burglars in office, they

manhandled a 6 foot safe down stairs

into the factory floor, cut it open with

gas tools, all it had inside was his

sandwiches. All the money was in the

dogs bed right next to the safe.

My condo had a safe already when I bought it. I never would put any valuables in it. It is the first place where burglars will look. And it gets especially useless if they force you to open it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stubuzz said:

So, how are these secured to stop thieves carrying them away?

• Heavy weight
  • Bolted to the floor/wall
  • Fake safe filled with bricks and keep the values somewhere else not so obvious
  • Pressure switch under the safe connected to a alarm, a very loud old style red fire alarm bell.

Ridiculous but been done or not unthinkable

• Bigger then the door/windows (put em in home at the time of building your house)
  • Have a room that's the safe
  • Pressure switch under the safe, connected to a flesh cutting lasers and flying razors system
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

My condo had a safe already when I bought it. I never would put any valuables in it. It is the first place where burglars will look. And it gets especially useless if they force you to open it. 

And it probably has a 'mother/master pin code' which can be googled up.

You have to see the faces when I open the safe that are exhibited on shows for sale with ease.

23 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

• Heavy weight
  • Bolted to the floor/wall
  • Fake safe filled with bricks and keep the values somewhere else not so obvious
  • Pressure switch under the safe connected to a alarm, a very loud old style red fire alarm bell.

Ridiculous but been done or not unthinkable

• Bigger then the door/windows (put em in home at the time of building your house)
  • Have a room that's the safe
  • Pressure switch under the safe, connected to a flesh cutting lasers and flying razors system

Replace those brick in the decoy safe wit a reasonable money (comparing to the big lot in the real hiding safe or place ) as others the burglars shall understand you have somewhere the real money , just "feed" them something $€'s 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:42 PM, sanuk711 said:

As someone who worked on safes 40 odd years ago (that means I had to open them, once they had been smashed about) Value for money IMO are the underground (underfloor)  safe, (unless you live in a high rise of course). don't be fooled by the-- if its very large and heavy ---if they can deliver them, then they can take them away, & that's what they like to do---make as much noise as they want to somewhere else. Those large chunky safes are held in place with a Dyna (expanding) bolt, a big 6 foot angel bar could usually make enough space to get at it. They recommend putting them in a corner because of that. In the 60s every safe guy was happy to see the invention of the Mini car...because what came with it was a Mini jack, the concrete would be chipped away until you could slide it under and then lift the safe free of the bolt .

I am told now that the new Dyna bolts come with a vial & a mixture of chemicals, as you tighten it it brakes mixes and forms much harder barrier to lift.  Perhaps so---I am out of touch with it all--but I would still go with the underfloor safe....the less you can see the harder it is to open.

Note-: never get a square under/F safe...... they go along to the show rooms pretending to buy, and measure just where the bolts are for drilling.

I installed an in floor safe my self back in oz. I jack hammered a hole in the concrete in the floor inside a built in cupboard. I dug down and made the hole a considerable bit bigger than the safe. I built a reo frame around it and tied it into the reo of the house slab. Then poured concrete all around. No one was going to get that out in a hurry without a lot noise. The door which was a "plug" type was probably the weakest point and, believe me, it was high quality and wasn't weak. Its tope was flush with the floor with a bit carpet covering it. What did I store in it? Gold and silver coins and important papers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Its tope was flush with the floor with a bit carpet covering it. What did I store in it? Gold and silver coins and important papers. 

sounds good Dazinoz, I made a special for a client once with a false floor in it. he said he was going to put paper work and a little money in the first part. Had me make a strong magnet on a stick to put in and lift the 2nd part (lid) up. I don't know what he would put in the 2nd part---Would not allow me to even install or give an address---just cash sale.

Opening them I would use a Otolaryngologist otoscope -- drill small hole, view the combination lock through it, if it wasn't smashed about to much.... I sure they have moved on to something more sophisticated than that now........(hope so or I shouldn't have printed it)........????

On 5/28/2020 at 8:23 PM, Pilotman said:

I can never find anything in my house so a thief has no chance. 

If it's money, like flies to a <deleted>, they will sniff it out!

On 5/28/2020 at 7:35 PM, Puchaiyank said:

When I grew up in America, we would all walk to town...not bothering to lock the outside doors to our homes...

Were people more easily trusted back then?  Not really, no one in my neighborhood had anything of value to steal...????

I don't know about "back then" but I have been in my current home 17 years and the exterior doors are never closed, night or day, and if I go away for a holiday they are still not shut. I have never had any theft or problems. However, I do not live in a built up area and I know everyone in the village. Good people here.

I have no safe, Why? I haven't got anything to put in a Safe. 

What i have seen the Best way to secure a safe to the Wall/Floor is With some good Dyna bolts But Before that one Screws the Nuts ,Cover the Back//Bottom with Silicone /silastic even if one tries to break the bolts  with a crowbar ,No chance in Hell one can Remove the safe . They will have to take the Wall/Floor with them. I have seen it done to an ATM and they couldn't shift it. ????

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:52 PM, talahtnut said:

My mate got burglars in office, they

manhandled a 6 foot safe down stairs

into the factory floor, cut it open with

gas tools, all it had inside was his

sandwiches. All the money was in the

dogs bed right next to the safe.

I wonder if the sandwiches were still edible after the gas axe event?

On 5/28/2020 at 3:22 AM, Crossy said:

"Proper" big safes are secured by their weight!

Slightly smaller ones can be bolted to the floor (access to the fixings from inside of course).

Nah, you have to bolt the big ones down too.  People always assume that floor safes will deter thieves by its size & weight.

In reality, big standing safes can be pushed-over, and once on its back, can be easily pryed open.  When vertical, there's no way to gain enough leverage, but when horizontal, a pry bar can be inserted and leaned into enough to pry out the bolts.

Here's a YT link showing how an unsecured safe can be broken into in under 2 minutes.

https://youtu.be/B8ViUdd-2LM

Edited by Iron Tongue
Added YT link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JWRC said:

I don't know about "back then" but I have been in my current home 17 years and the exterior doors are never closed, night or day, and if I go away for a holiday they are still not shut. I have never had any theft or problems. However, I do not live in a built up area and I know everyone in the village. Good people here.

You do live in a charming area...consider yourself very fortunate!

On 5/28/2020 at 11:15 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Is it next to the underground spring and natural pool with the shimmering stalactites and stalagmites, if so you must be my neighbor......

Where's the beer supply?

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

can be easily pryed open.

Interesting video thanks. I take your point with thieves who are specifically targeting a building with a known safe but how many Thai burglars go out to rob somewhere armed with the larger kind of pry bar? Not exactly inconspicuous......  

On 5/28/2020 at 7:23 PM, Pilotman said:

I can never find anything in my house so a thief has no chance. 

As a kid my Dad said to me "Son if you find a robber in the house looking for money, ask him if i can have half" :cheesy:

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:42 PM, sanuk711 said:

As someone who worked on safes 40 odd years ago (that means I had to open them, once they had been smashed about) Value for money IMO are the underground (underfloor)  safe, (unless you live in a high rise of course). don't be fooled by the-- if its very large and heavy ---if they can deliver them, then they can take them away, & that's what they like to do---make as much noise as they want to somewhere else. Those large chunky safes are held in place with a Dyna (expanding) bolt, a big 6 foot angel bar could usually make enough space to get at it. They recommend putting them in a corner because of that. In the 60s every safe guy was happy to see the invention of the Mini car...because what came with it was a Mini jack, the concrete would be chipped away until you could slide it under and then lift the safe free of the bolt .

I am told now that the new Dyna bolts come with a vial & a mixture of chemicals, as you tighten it it brakes mixes and forms much harder barrier to lift.  Perhaps so---I am out of touch with it all--but I would still go with the underfloor safe....the less you can see the harder it is to open.

Note-: never get a square under/F safe...... they go along to the show rooms pretending to buy, and measure just where the bolts are for drilling.

Any safe / lock / password can be broken into. The question is how long and how much effort it will take, and what is it you're trying to protect. Most common thieves will walk away when they see a safe that they can't just lift and take away unless they know for sure that the value of what's in that safe is worth their time, effort and risk. 

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Any safe / lock / password can be broken into. The question is how long and how much effort it will take, and what is it you're trying to protect. Most common thieves will walk away when they see a safe that they can't just lift and take away unless they know for sure that the value of what's in that safe is worth their time, effort and risk.

"Most common thieves will walk away"  I agree--but then they would from 95% of safes, because they are not carrying the tools at the time. but if its a large safe. Not a hidden away like an under floor in the wall type, then it is viewed over a time period by different people-- tradesmen  "friends"--Girls, visitors.    From my experience when they know the safe is there Its a lot easier and safer to remove it on a small folding trolley, then it is to open it on site. I couldn't count the number of times an owner open the door to just see a space where his unmovable safe used to be.

Folding Two Wheels Shopping Cart Hand Trolley Prices