Only 128 virus cases detected among thousands of returnees

snoop1130

Only 128 virus cases detected among thousands of returnees

By The Nation

800_1e3f68cff667ae6.jpg

Among thousands of returnees to undergo state quarantine, only 128 have tested positive for coronavirus, the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said today (May 28).

A total of 27,352 people – most of them returnees – have been sent to mandatory 14-day quarantine, reported CCSA spokesman Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin. Of these, 9,577 remain in isolation while 17,775 have returned home.

Of the 27,302 returnees to undergo quarantine, 0.47 per cent tested positive at a rate of 6.5 men for every one woman.

The average age of quarantined returnees is 39, with the youngest aged 15 and the oldest 77.

Most of the returnees travelled back from Malaysia (13,353) India (1,883) the United States (1,466) South Korea (1,064) and Myanmar (800).

Quarantined returnees have tested positive and been treated for the virus in nine provinces. These are Songkhla (22 cases, 19 recovered and discharged ); Satun (18 cases, all discharged); Bangkok (27 cases, 11 discharged); Pattani (13 cases, 12 discharged); Yala (nine cases, eight discharged); Chonburi (24 cases, five discharged); Narathiwat (seven cases, six discharged); Krabi (three cases, all discharged); and Samut Prakan (three cases under treatment).

Around 400 people will return via plane today – 260 people from Australia, 100 from the US, and 40 from Vietnam – while tomorrow 399 will return – from Turkey (217), France (27) Singapore (35) Myanmar (65), and South Korea (55).

More have returned by the land borders this week. On Wednesday, a total of 258 Thais returned, Malaysia (236), Myanmar (9), Cambodia (8) and Laos (5).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388673

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-28

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

More have returned by the land borders this week. On Wednesday, a total of 258 Thais returned, Malaysia (236), Myanmar (9), Cambodia (8) and Laos (5).

Removed - found the answers already...

Edited by LukKrueng
Removed

24 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

probably the ones only showing severe symptoms

But, this question is important. If 128 people were tested, then 100% of people tested were positive. If half the returnees were tested, then about 1% were positive. That would be an interesting thing to know.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Raphus said:

It seems that either the journalist or the Thai Government cannot calculate percentages. 128 out of 27000 = 0.047%. Not 0.47% which has been written  in the article.

I hope this is a mistake by the journalist. If this is from the Government, it could explain the reason the state of emergency is until June 30th !!!

It's a decimal mistake.  A common mistake.

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Raphus said:

It seems that either the journalist or the Thai Government cannot calculate percentages. 128 out of 27000 = 0.047%. Not 0.47% which has been written  in the article.

I hope this is a mistake by the journalist. If this is from the Government, it could explain the reason the state of emergency is until June 30th !!!

128 = 0.47% of 27000 according to my O level maths.

1 minute ago, Curt1591 said:

CLOSE THE BORDERS !!!!!!

You are making the very point related to the question about the missing information (how many were tested). If 128 were tested and 100% of people coming back seem (per the hit rate on the tests) to be positive, then closing or restricting the border travel would make some sense. If all of that lot were tested and only 0.5% are positive, then it doesn't make much sense. We need to know the hit rate of those tested to decide how to proceed. 

11 minutes ago, stouricks said:

128 = 0.47% of 27000 according to my O level maths.

I think nothing to do with math or broken calculators.

Unless they have since edited the article, it would seem the problem might be with Raphus's eye glasses.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Raphus said:

I hope this is a mistake by the journalist. If this is from the Government, it could explain the reason the state of emergency is until June 30th !

Check your math. And calculator. The journalist must be feeling raw after your false accusation. Lol 

2 minutes ago, jimn said:

As far as I am aware, anyone going into quarantine and has returned from abroad is tested.

Do you have a source for that? It has seemed that only people showing up somewhere with symptoms are tested. And, only a subset of that group is tested at both of the two reference labs, reducing the number to a much smaller amount. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

What percentage of them has actually been tested?

Probably like the test I get for my DL and WP .. 

“So, are you feeling OK, dizzyness, vomiting .. err .. no, right?”

”That’s 200B”

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Among thousands of returnees to undergo state quarantine, only 128 have tested positive for coronavirus

Sounds like the perfect reason to continue the quarantine for at least a few more months and completely kill the Thai economy.  I don't think the first wave of restrictions has the economy totally flat lined. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Just for info. from a very reliable source, they are all being tested after they arrive here when they arrive/check into their quarantine hotel/facility.  Then after 14 day quarantine, they are all tested again. Anyone that shows severe symptoms along the way will be hospitalized.

To add, I have personally seen the arrivals here in Pattaya being bused in large tourist type buses and from a distance, have witnessed the very controlled/organized testing being done when they get off the buses. There is fairly heavy security at the perimeter of these facilities.

Believe what you want blah blah, it appears to me they are doing a pretty good job with the process.

I believe this is the case, but I found an older article from April that said they are only temperature checked and only people exceeding 38° sent to hospital for testing. This may well have changed in line with what you have posted and what I think is the case.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG200416212142606

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1