ThaiChana phone app launched to combat check-out, phishing problems

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“However, we advise people to check out as fast as possible because only venues visited on that day will be displayed,”

as a lifetime IT guy who has designed many systems, this 'feature' is beyond stupid; simple history , say 30 days, is ....simple

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Contact tracing and notification"

Every 90 days we have to check in and notify Immigration of our residence, even though we may have never moved in years.

Now, they are going to be able to keep track of the entire population of Thailand? 

Edited by Curt1591
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

I am all for prudent and sensible mitigation measures, but this type of app is and has been rolled out in other countries in different forms.

I may need to search more effectively but I can find no mention of when the various governments intend to "retire" these apps.

Never, once you get to do this in every shop it'll never be walked backwards.

• Sad 2

App will have access to your exact location and GPS

App will have access to your photos and video

App will have your true cell number

People are already reporting SMS spams after using the platform - where you at least have the option to list a landline I believe - this does not even allow that option.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

and the link to this app is where?

"The Link" is Play Store, and it should be easy enough to just type in Thai Chana there - except at this point in time, there's no such app on Play Store...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, rtco said:

Is it??? Just checked and I can't find it!!!

The ThaiChana app is available for download via Google Play from today, added Polawat, while iPhone users can download it at the App Store from Sunday (May 31).

So I presume something has wrong with QR code check in ??

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cmsally said:

So I presume something has wrong with QR code check in ??

It worked and is still in use but many people fail to check out and once departed it was too late to do so if they remember later.  

I would not use the app myself, if details other then mobile numbers are not accepted.

I keep on using the paper registration and screenshots of the thaichana web platform at low risk locations.

Only when they come up with a app which accepts email addresses I am in the game.

• Confused 1

Typical. Name on app is different than announced. It is MorChana in Google Store. 

Reading and article in Pattaya News this morning about privacy of Thai Chana, however in the article they said the government will be studying the data collected to see if people are maintaining social distancing and other precautions. Seems this will be used to see who and how close you get to others.

No more short-time privacy.

• Thanks 1

Of you look at the logo and graphics in the Nation article it shows what is on the  Thai Chana app developed by Krungthai Bank! The logo and graphics on Mor Chana are in no way even remotely similar to what was in the article and yet it is a government developed app! Utter shambles. And this new app was supposed to stop phishing and other problems with the original website system. CCSA needs to get a grip on this immediately.

14 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

be studying the data collected to see if people are maintaining social distancing and other precautions. Seems this will be used to see who and how close you get to others.

Even with precise GPS location enabled this is not feasible in any way.

Other countries have/want apps based on bluetooth where you can come close to such idea.

I will switch off the GPS location feature on my phone and try the app with that.

Now at home I can at least get to the QR code scan.

I still doubt that the whole thing makes sense and will work.

35 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

That worked, thanks! Only I can't find the (claimed) English language setting... Oh well. TiT, after all.

Would you reveal where you found the language setting?

For as long as it will be possible, I will use the old browser based system. I'm neither too demented to check out when leaving nor prone to falling prey to phishing attempts, but I can do without the additional risks that installing an app would subject me to.

Edited by Caldera

4 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

"Contact tracing and notification"

Every 90 days we have to check in and notify Immigration of our residence, even though we may have never moved in years.

Now, they are going to be able to keep track of the entire population of Thailand? 

yes indeed - just like China!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1