ThaiChana phone app launched to combat check-out, phishing problems

snoop1130

31 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

Typical. Name on app is different than announced. It is MorChana in Google Store. 

Reading and article in Pattaya News this morning about privacy of Thai Chana, however in the article they said the government will be studying the data collected to see if people are maintaining social distancing and other precautions. Seems this will be used to see who and how close you get to others.

No more short-time privacy.

Morchana is nothing to do with Thai Chana. It's a tracking and health assesement App. You can read about in the Bangkok Post. I expect The Nation will have an article on it soon.

Thai Chana is not an App, it's a data capture platform and there is nothing downloaded on to your phone except the web page when you link to it.

You do not have to download this new App to continue to use Thai Chana. Just remember to check out.

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thai Chana is not an App, it's a data capture platform and there is nothing downloaded on to your phone except the web page when you link to it.

That was yesterday - this is today and it now has an app version which you do download.

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

For as long as it will be possible, I will use the old browser based system.

I will use it as last resort and first look for the paper list and use my pen.

Recently I approached a local home-store and saw no paper list, only QR.

I held up my pen like "where is it...".

Waived through, all fine.

Don't try to convince me that the whole thing makes any sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
36 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

35 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That was yesterday - this is today and it now has an app version which you do download.

The article doesn't actually make it clear whether the app is an essential requirement. I will stick to using the scan and link system unless the web site is taken down in favour of the app.

Technically, there should be no reason why the two systems can't continue to run in parallel.

Edited by Moonlover

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Technically, there should be no reason why the two systems can't continue to run in parallel.

I believe that is the plan for short term - but some I am sure are keen to be able to track all and sundry and will push the app.

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
19 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Well now you're heading off into the realms of conspiracy theories aren't you. I don't hold that view but I'm sure many thousands do. We've already seen in our relatively small community the amount of suspicion this system arouses and I don't doubt that it's the same in the wider community too.

With that in mind, I doubt whether the administrators will withdraw the current method for fear of arousing more mistrust and none cooperation from the public at large. They are likely to 'wait and see' what the uptake is of the app first.

We shall see in due course.

OK folks, I have a bit of further news on this topic. It was actually spoken about in yesterday's daily briefing from the CCSA. I forgot to watch it last night! Go to the link below and select the brief for yesterday (May 28th) and you'll know as much as anyone in the public I guess.

Watch it through to the end because he speaks about the 'what if' scenario if a Covid case is identified.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLezFsrqeLPRP_TuOHAgCgOerOe8iRDZip

Edited by Moonlover

At the moment there is still the option to sign a piece of paper with name and phone number when entering every place of business rather than scanning the Q code on your phone.

I have been writing all sort of BS names over BKK to this point as there is no checking. I am thinking this option will soon disappear.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, G950 said:

I have been writing all sort of BS names over BKK to this point as there is no checking. I am thinking this option will soon disappear.

Doing that is probably not helping to keep it available - but there are many people without smart phones that have no alternative -so I hope it does not disappear.

7 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

"Contact tracing and notification"

Every 90 days we have to check in and notify Immigration of our residence, even though we may have never moved in years.

Now, they are going to be able to keep track of the entire population of Thailand? 

Only if the "entire population" goes to the affected malls/shops.

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

People are already reporting SMS spams after using the platform - where you at least have the option to list a landline I believe - this does not even allow that option.  

"People are already reporting SMS spams after using the platform..."

There have been reports of SMS spams being received by some people but it hasn't been reported that they were specifically after accessing the original Thaichana platform or that there was any connection with the official platform.

"...this does not even allow that option". 

You have the app?  It's not available on Google Apps, where did you get it?

Edited by Bob A Kneale

11 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"People are already reporting SMS spams after using the platform..."

There have been reports of SMS spams being received by some people but it hasn't been reported that they were specifically after accessing the original Thaichana platform or that there was any connection with the official platform.

"...this does not even allow that option". 

You have the app?  It's not available on Google Apps, where did you get it?

I do not have the app but it is called Thaichana (no space).  And I have read reports of spam directly relating to using Chana platform.

1 minute ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Krungthai Bank?

That's what it says. Developed by (IT people) at Krungthai bank.

If you consider that Krungthai is a kind of government bank it makes sense.

Government bank: founded by the government, still majority stake holder.

50 minutes ago, G950 said:

At the moment there is still the option to sign a piece of paper with name and phone number when entering every place of business rather than scanning the Q code on your phone.

"I have been writing all sort of BS names over BKK to this point as there is no checking." Why BS names?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

And if no smartphone? Especially international visitors? Can you still sign in with a pen? Story doesn't say one way or the other.

You will almost certainly need ID.

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

App will have access to your exact location and GPS

App will have access to your photos and video

App will have your true cell number

People are already reporting SMS spams after using the platform - where you at least have the option to list a landline I believe - this does not even allow that option.  

Right , just installed and deleted it. The app can track al your movements. I am ok just checking in and out if i enter a shop, but this goes to far.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It showed up here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ktb.thaichana.prod&hl=en

Even on my U.S. based devices... 

I'll give it a miss ... not with all of these permissions

• precise location (GPS and network-based)
  • approximate location (network-based)
Camera
  • take pictures and videos
Photos/Media/Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • full network access