Diabetes?

rott

Sheryl, hoping you can advise. A short while ago after experiencing periods of extreme thirst and heavy water consumption followed by frequent urination I suspected diabetes. A blood sugar test gave a reading of 90 mg/dL. Seemingly safe. The symptoms lessened but have since come back and I wonder if my fasting period of 12 hours may have given a false reading. 

I also have extreme fatigue and lack of energy. 

The frequent urination did not ease off so I had a psa test which showed 0.155 (12 years after radiotherapy). Safe? 

Sheryl I have a number of other queries I would like clarification on and not wanting to abuse your services, so is there anyone on the lines of a GP in Pattaya you would recommend. Cannot remember the name but I am told of one on Third Rd and also Dr Olivier in Jomtien. 

Edited by rott

GPs in Thailand do nto have anything like the skill set or function that GPs in many Western countries have, and I don:t know of any in Pattaya to recommend.   Often the best approach is just to get a complete check up package at a hospital, the doctor who will review the results will be a GP.

From what you report, you do not have diabetes.

The frequent urination is likely due to high water intake.  Have you been sweating much? It has been extremely hot and humid.  If so and then replacing with just plain water, may have worsened electrolyte imbalances and this can cause fatigue and lethargy.

I suggest that when you have been sweating a lot and feel very thirsty you add electrolyte solution to your water, 7-11s carry it, check the packaging but usually the 7-11 ones are 1 pack to 250 ml, more dilute is OK but don:t under dilute. Some of the brands in pharmacies may be for larger water volumes, so ask first.

Fresh coconut watre is also an option, it is a balanced electrolyte solution.

And a complete physical check up may be wise especially if it has been a while. For that I would suggest Phyathai Sri Racha hospital.

What is your diet like? Are you on any medications? Much alcohol intake?

• Like 1

Thanks Sheryl, meds are one 20 mg statin, I also take one omega 3, omeprazole as and when required. 

Alcohol in recent years has rarely been above 25 units per week. And for May is unlikely to be above 16 units for the month. 

My diet has always been on the healthy side with plenty of fruit and veg, high fibre cereal and veery little sugar and salt. 

A friend of mine swears by the testosterone jabs from Dr O but I think the prostate cancer (even though it was 12 years ago) would make me ineligible. 

Edited by rott

14 hours ago, rott said:

Thanks Sheryl, meds are one 20 mg statin, I also take one omega 3, omeprazole as and when required. 

Alcohol in recent years has rarely been above 25 units per week. And for May is unlikely to be above 16 units for the month. 

My diet has always been on the healthy side with plenty of fruit and veg, high fibre cereal and veery little sugar and salt. 

A friend of mine swears by the testosterone jabs from Dr O but I think the prostate cancer (even though it was 12 years ago) would make me ineligible. 

Yes, it might or at minium require clise observation. But perhaps get some blood work to see if you are T deficient. If you are then consult urologist.

Your diet sounds fine. Do take my advice re electrolyte powder. When you have lost fluid through sweat, replacing only with plain water may worsen depletion of electrolytes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sheryl, the electrolyte packs worked a treat. 

If I can trouble you once more, is there a hospital in Pattaya itself or central Bangkok you would recommend for the full check up? 

Possibly one that charges less than the others.