Diabetes Medication

Chris.B

A friend of mine is taking the following medication...

1. Metformin (hydrochloride) 500mg (MA Holder-Relonchem Ltd)

2. Atorvastatin 20mg (MA Holder-TEVA UK Ltd)

I have told him when he comes to Thailand for 3 months he will only be allowed to bring in 30 days supply.

Can someone please let me know what are the local equivalents of his medicine and a rough guide price.

Thanks in advance. :jap:

57 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

Readily available here but there are also good natural home remedies for type 2  diabetes.  I haven't taken any drugs for years now & my bgl is good

Mind telling what are the natural home remedies?

Hm, I have never heard about a 30-day limit. Do you have a source for that information? Anyway, I have never had a problem bringing six months supply of various medicines; I have been doing that for ten years now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Hm, I have never heard about a 30-day limit. Do you have a source for that information? Anyway, I have never had a problem bringing six months supply of various medicines; I have been doing that for ten years now.

> If the prescription medicine not listed as controlled drugs. The medications are likely be classified as medication preparations according to the Drug Act B.E. 2510. A patient under treatment of medications in that category is allowed to transport for personal use medications in a quantity Not Exceeding 30 Days of prescribed usage. However, such medications fall under the responsibility of the Bureau of Drug Control, Thai FDA. You can consult that office directly by sending an email to the Director of the Bureau of Drug Control: [email protected]  Please also send a cc copy of that email to [email protected]

https://thaiembdc.org/bring-medication-into-thailand/

I routinely bring in 6 months with me in my carry on, never been checked, but I also bring my Last Dr's report with my prescriptions listed.  Of course I was unable to go back to the US for my annual 2 week visit and to pick up my prescription meds which are mailed every 90 days to me which are sitting at my residence.  Instead I found a good pharmacy here in Bangkok SC Pharmacy on Rama 4 Road near the Sala Daeng BTS / Sathorn Rd.  They have Metformin, Metformin XR for 93.33 Baht per 10 tablet strip (1000mg). They also have the Astorvistatin, but I use Simvistatin instead wich they also carry along with most of the insulin related products.  

Good Luck.  I am sure Sheryl will also be along sometime to chime in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, farang51 said:

only 10 years?lol beat you .

anyway metformin is so cheap 500 for 850 baht in farcino . 500 mg

Edited by bert bloggs

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Metformin 500 mg 10’s
฿15.00

Atorvastatin Sandoz 20 mg [30 tabs]
฿750.00

http://drugstorebangkok.com/product/atorvastatin-sandoz-20-mg-30-tabs/

There are now several locally made brands of Atorvastatin that will cost much less. Brand names+

Atorsan

Lipostat

Atorvin

Chlovas

He does not need a prescription for either drug and both are easy to find here.

Should take care to get a travel insurance policy that covers "acute exacerbations" of chronic conditions though in case anything happens while here causing him to need hospital care.

Yes, the rule is 30 day supply for bringing meds in with you.. Of course in most cases they do not check. When they do, they don:t usually count out the nu,mer of tablets and you:d probably be fine with a couple of  months worth as long as it looks consistent with personal use, and nto controlled substances, though no guarantee.

• Thanks 1