BANGKOK
PhuketDok

A change regarding Health Insurance requirement and NON IMM OA Extension of Stay

Thanks for the info I received my oa visa before the insurance was required hopefully when I renew same goes for me but I'll be doing mine in jomtien 

3 hours ago, PhuketDok said:

I just renewed my Non-Imm OA Extension of Stay at the Phuket IO and I did not need to have Health Insurance. I was told this a week or so ago by one of the officers while doing a "stamp transfer" to a new passport. I am not sure why they are not requiring it anymore but I believe I heard them say it was because my Non Imm OA Visa was issued/activated prior to Oct, 2019...

Not all immigration offices use the same stamp for the transfer of information  to a new passport but the first stamp your immigration office put into the new passport should look some thing like this:

STAMP TRANSFER.jpg

On the third or fourth line of this stamp, you will see a handwritten entry of the visa type and category. In the above example the entry is NON-O. What is it in the stamp in your passport?

• Like 1

My new stamp  is clearly OA. There is no doubt that IO new I was an OA Visa holder.

Thank you for this clarification.

• Like 1

We’ll have to wait and see here in Chiang Mai!

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

There are also other reports on the Forum of Non Imm O-A Visa holders NOT being required to have the thai IO-approved health-insurance when applying for their 1-year extension of stay for reason of retirement.

It seems that Phuket IO is NOT requiring it anymore since March, and that they will 'evaluate' this expirement in October.  So till then, there is no need when applying in Phuket to subscribe to a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.

Afaik, Phuket is the ONLY IO nation-wide that is temporarily - and hopefully permanently - not enforcing the health-insurance requirement anymore.

You do not need to have Health Insurance for O-A in Phang Nga immigration neither . AFAIK , if they not changed it lately ...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tracyb said:

We’ll have to wait and see here in Chiang Mai!

I have a report from an agent that the same is true in Chiang Mai. However, this needs confirmation at immigration by more than one personal experience. Anyone due for a renewal? Try it! 

Additional confirmation from Chiang Mai expats is eagerly waiting.  My Non-OA retirement extension is due in August and if what has been reported of no insurance requirements would greatly alleviate my problems especially since my wife is still stuck in the USA.

• Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance

I thought to extend an O/A visa that you had to leave the country and when returning would receive an new 1 year extension

am I missing something here?

I have a 3 year old OA...not married to a Thai.

It expires Aug. 5th. 

This is great news ..if..I can extend!!

Fingers crossed..

1 hour ago, cjd said:

Please excuse my ignorance

I thought to extend an O/A visa that you had to leave the country and when returning would receive an new 1 year extension

am I missing something here?

Only for the 12 months that the Visa is valid.