Scooter tires

mran66

I need to replace tires for my Click soon.

Was wondering whether there is much of a difference for ride quality and safety between the local tires (Deestone, Vee etc) vs premium brands like Michelin or Pirelli?

Looking in lazada prices of Michelins seem to be 2-3 times local brands price. Only have experience of the factory installed ones, thus asking comments from people with experience of branded tires in scooters. Just normal city/suburban use, rarely if ever over 70 km/h. 

Edited by mran66

I've been riding my Click on the original fits for 5 years. I'm now on the second set and have no complaints about them except for their porosity and that's down to the tube, not the tyre.

As long as you're happy checking and topping up the pressures every week, I wouldn't bother looking at any other make. With the kind use you're putting them to, I doubt if you'll be aware of any difference in the ride.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Was wondering whether there is much of a difference for ride quality and safety between the local tires (Deestone, Vee etc) vs premium brands like Michelin or Pirelli?

None in my book, years ago maybe, it's a scoot tyre brands can be different on certain motorcycles but scoots it's all in the head for some.

As long as your new tyres from the brands you mentioned are not remolds. Then it should be fine. However, as always. You pay for what you get...higher quality, higher price. Lower quality, lower price. 

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've been riding my Click on the original fits for 5 years. I'm now on the second set and have no complaints about them except for their porosity and that's down to the tube, not the tyre.

As long as you're happy checking and topping up the pressures every week, I wouldn't bother looking at any other make. With the kind use you're putting them to, I doubt if you'll be aware of any difference in the ride.

Isn't it normal to lose air from tyres, my Click is tubeless it still loses air.

I also like the factory fitted IRCs, i just bought another pair, shops did try to sell me copies though

Screenshot_20200424-130449.png

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Isn't it normal to lose air from tyres, my Click is tubeless it still loses air.

I also like the factory fitted IRCs, i just bought another pair, shops did try to sell me copies though

Screenshot_20200424-130449.png

I paid about the same price as above by going to my Honda dealer. That also included free fitting and a general inspection.

Regarding air loss, I'm able to make a comparison now because I now have an Aerox as well, which has tubeless tyres. The air loss is much less from those tyres than from the Click. I only have to top them up once a month as apposed to once a week!

Are you sure you have tubeless? I didn't think that the Click was sold with them until the 150cc hit the market.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I paid about the same price as above by going to my Honda dealer. That also included free fitting and a general inspection.

Regarding air loss, I'm able to make a comparison now because I now have an Aerox as well, which has tubeless tyres. The air loss is much less from those tyres than from the Click. I only have to top them up once a month as apposed to once a week!

Are you sure you have tubeless? I didn't think that the Click was sold with them until the 150cc hit the market.

I paid 1,750 fitted, Mityon wanted 1,890 i think. Yes the alloy wheels are tubeless on the 2017 125i

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

My 2017 click for sure is tubeless (know from puncture fix). I guess 125i clicks with Alu wheels are tubeless, laced with inner tube I assume

• Confused 1

Never liked the grip of the IRC that came with my pcx but I used it for 2 years before changing to Michellins. With the IRC, I feel like I'm always on my toes when braking and cornering, esp on wet roads; got a few close calls with that tire.

The grip and road feel difference when I changed to the Michellins is staggering that I wished I changed them earlier. 

With that said, OEM tires are made of tough materials and built to last. Theyr'e okay for commuting esp if your'e just riding a short distance and at lower speeds. 

It's definitely not the brand but mostly about the kind of materials the tire is made of. But it really depends on your intended use. 

I'm currently using a brand named Aspira Sportivo on my rear tire as the Michellin installed on my rear was almost up to its wear marks after about 30k kms of riding. It isn't the same as the Michellin but its grip is decent on dry pavement. It gives a diff feel to my bike as well, esp on higher speed. I'll still prefer the Michellin next time, but it's too wasteful to throw away a new tire.  

There are people who swears there isn't any difference between cheap and good tires, but I disagree basing it on my own experience trying out diff tires. It will be an unending debate as people wil always justify their choices, so I suggest you try it for yourself for once and form your own opinion based on your experience. 

my 2 satangs

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1

Depend where you live, but in Bangkok i just change the front tire on my Zoomer, at Honda dealer in Sukhumvit 71, a dunlop tire+ installation+ some small non requested but appreciate lubrication, total 858 THB.

The first original front dunlop tire lasted more than 50000 KM, just drove in Bangkok an average 30km per day.

Edited by Quickmill
  • Like 1

As for air pressure loss on tubeless tires, it's usually the valves that are leaking. Make it a habit to change to new valves everytime you change into new tires, theyre cheap and available everywhere. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alx123 said:

As for air pressure loss on tubeless tires, it's usually the valves that are leaking. Make it a habit to change to new valves everytime you change into new tires, theyre cheap and available everywhere. 

but it's normal to leak air, if it was Nitrogen there wouldn't be a problem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quickmill said:

The first original front dunlop tire lasted more than 50000 KM, just drove in Bangkok an average 30km per day.

That sounds like a lot. My experience with clicks is that tires last about 20k, give or take a bit. But those are local brands. 

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

You mean the valve inside the threaded tube, or the whole valve assy attached to rim? 

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

The grip and road feel difference when I changed to the Michellins is staggering that I wished I changed them earlier. 

Would you happen to remember what type/model of Michelin was that? 

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

Avoid Dunlop. They are inferior. Michelin are superior. Worth the extra money, as they provide alot of extra safety, last long and corner and brake very well. I use Pirelli, but not appropriate for a small scooter like a Click. When I used to drive a PCX, I always used Michelin. Great tires. Worth every baht. 

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

if it was Nitrogen there wouldn't be a problem

well its mostly Nitrogen anyway.

"dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases"

57 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

but it's normal to leak air, if it was Nitrogen there wouldn't be a problem

not normal if your'e losing significant amount of air weekly.

20 minutes ago, mran66 said:

You mean the valve inside the threaded tube, or the whole valve assy attached to rim? 

changing the whole valve is easier i think, see photo

18 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Would you happen to remember what type/model of Michelin was that? 

it's the Michellin Pilotstreet 

cee14bb10b0c65b5f863bba16cffaf0a.jpg

1 hour ago, johng said:

well its mostly Nitrogen anyway.

"dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases"

Using 100% nitrogen would keep the pressure up for longer. In the UK my local kwik fit and Renault garages would give nitrogen for free

45 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Wonder if the little bit plumpier PCX tires actually fit click fenders without any issues either rim with or fenders? 

80/90F, 90/90R to 90/90F to 100/90R - That's just 1 step above, shouldn't be a problem. 

6 hours ago, alx123 said:

That should be standard practice whenever a tubeless tyre is replaced. Just as the tube should be replaced along with a new standard M/C tyre.

• 10 months later...

Posting just as a follow up to OP - got Michelin city grip pro's installed, now 3500km on those. 

Contrary to my expectations, tires actually make a difference for road feel even on a scooter, these Michelins have good grip and especially feel more nimble and accurate when riding, especially turning or moving direction. Feel more control of the bike. Original IRCs were okay, these are just better, and price abiut same (1500 per pair from lazada +200 install). 

Couple of months ago had identical scooter to mine as rental on ko chang, and it had some fujiyama or fujikura or something like tires that installed, new tires. Bike was all good and straight, however it rode like a train on curvy hills of chang, downright dangerous as really needed to tilt hard before the bike changed direction... Sure cheap, but difference to my bike on Michelins like day and night

• Like 2

On 5/29/2020 at 9:55 AM, alx123 said:

There are people who swears there isn't any difference between cheap and good tires, but I disagree basing it on my own experience trying out diff tires. It will be an unending debate as people wil always justify their choices, so I suggest you try it for yourself for once and form your own opinion based on your experience. 

I found cheap tires punctured frequently.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Posting just as a follow up to OP - got Michelin city grip pro's installed, now 3500km on those. 

Contrary to my expectations, tires actually make a difference for road feel even on a scooter, these Michelins have good grip and especially feel more nimble and accurate when riding, especially turning or moving direction. Feel more control of the bike. Original IRCs were okay, these are just better, and price abiut same (1500 per pair from lazada +200 install). 

Couple of months ago had identical scooter to mine as rental on ko chang, and it had some fujiyama or fujikura or something like tires that installed, new tires. Bike was all good and straight, however it rode like a train on curvy hills of chang, downright dangerous as really needed to tilt hard before the bike changed direction... Sure cheap, but difference to my bike on Michelins like day and night

Interesting, I've never noticed any problem with my Honda Click stock tyres

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting, I've never noticed any problem with my Honda Click stock tyres

I never had problems either, just worn out after 19000km.  Just saying that to my surprise, the new tires have better ride feel than stock had, even if it is just a scooter. Not that the stock were BAD, they were okay. 

A bit like having a good Italian latte for first time for someone who has happily enjoyed good American drip coffee all his life without knowing that there actually are options outside of that... 

Edited by mran66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, mran66 said:

A bit like having a good Italian latte for first time for someone who has happily enjoyed good American drip coffee all his life without knowing that there actually are options outside of that... 

+1 

Try Italian cappuccino in Rome, you wonder what you had been drinking all your life they sell as cappuccino....! lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 9:55 AM, alx123 said:

Never liked the grip of the IRC that came with my pcx but I used it for 2 years before changing to Michellins. With the IRC, I feel like I'm always on my toes when braking and cornering, esp on wet roads; got a few close calls with that tire.

With that said, OEM tires are made of tough materials and built to last. Theyr'e okay for commuting esp if your'e just riding a short distance and at lower speeds. 

It's definitely not the brand but mostly about the kind of materials the tire is made of. But it really depends on your intended use. 

I'm currently using a brand named Aspira Sportivo on my rear tire as the Michellin installed on my rear was almost up to its wear marks after about 30k kms of riding. It isn't the same as the Michellin but its grip is decent on dry pavement. It gives a diff feel to my bike as well, esp on higher speed. I'll still prefer the Michellin next time, but it's too wasteful to throw away a new tire.  

my 2 satangs

It has a lot to do with the rubber compounds used.  Michelin uses a good rubber right through the tire and I don't notice grip degradation with wear.