After 40+ Years in Asia, without a break, I am now Toying with: Returning to America, and Becoming a Hermit in Trumpland!

When I left the west I knew what I was leaving behind and what I was choosing to go to.

I didn't leave on a whim or without full knowledge of the advantages and disadvantages of moving from a modern structured society to an exotic and at times chaotic life. I knew Thailand was in the tropics and I would never again know real cold nor ever be snowed upon.

I knew the politics were volatile and governments ever changing and self serving - just like in my home country!

I knew my new home would have noise and dust and squillions of very different people everywhere living life mainly as they please, without constant regulation and oversight. I knew the food would be different and very cheap, except for some products mainly produced and consumed in the west. I knew life would be cheap in both senses of the word.

If I were to head to home country now, with tail between legs, it would mean I made a mistake with my decision to emigrate in the first place. However, I don't feel I made that mistake, despite many changes and difficulties here now. I'm not silly enough to believe prices of everything in the old country have remained static, nor do I believe there are new freedoms and less interference in the daily life of citizens there. 

To the OP, maybe after forty years here you have reached the end of your Asian experience and wish to spend the rest of days reliving old memories. I wish you luck and hope you don't find yourself in a completely alien environment.  

12 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Would you please extrapolate a bit?

Even if you are a permanent resident or citizen of a foreign country, you are still required to report your worldwide income. Just like every US resident, if you're living abroad and fail to file your US or state taxes, you can receive a penalty for not filing taxes, even if you do not owe taxes.

http://www.back9.com.au/us-citizen-living-abroad-not-filing-taxes/

With, as you say, 40 years of experience in Asia under your belt, your reasons to leave, like weak internet connection and noisy neighbors, seem almost laughable.
I live very remotely, 300 Mbps, no noise.

Edited by orchis

3 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Even if you are a permanent resident or citizen of a foreign country, you are still required to report your worldwide income. Just like every US resident, if you're living abroad and fail to file your US or state taxes, you can receive a penalty for not filing taxes, even if you do not owe taxes.

http://www.back9.com.au/us-citizen-living-abroad-not-filing-taxes/

US residents live in the US. Foreign residents, including UScitizens, live abroad.  Pedantry without lexical precision is like ... it’s beyond compare, with my limited vocabulary.

11 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I doubt that I will hate the USA.

I am rather liberal in my thinking.

I even can accept sugar plum fairies.

I don't need to be one to enjoy them....right?

Holly came from Miami, F.L.A.
Hitch-hiked her way across the U.S.A.
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she
She says, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
Said, "Hey honey, take a walk on the wild side"
Candy came from out on the island
In the backroom, she was everybody's darlin'
But she never lost her head
Even when she was givin' head
She says, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
Said, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
And the colored girls go
Do-do-do, do-do, do-do-do
Do, do-do, do-do, do-do-do
Do, do-do, do-do, do-do-do, do
Little Joe never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
A hustle here and a hustle there
New York City is the place where they said
"Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
I said, "Hey Joe, take a walk on the wild side"
Sugar Plum Fairy came and hit the streets
Lookin' for soul food and a place to eat
Went to the Apollo
You should have seen him go, go, go
They said, "Hey Sugar, take a walk on the wild side"
I said, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
Alright, huh
Jackie is just speedin' away
Thought she was James Dean for a day
Then I guess she had to crash
Valium would have helped that bash
She said, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
I said, "Hey honey, take a walk on the wild side"
And the colored girls say

Things have changed since before I was young

18 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Apart from being able to drink water direct from the tap (faucet), 

And walking on an evenly paved road, I can't think of any other positives of living back in the UK.

Ordered roads, governments that can be removed, excellent schools and hospitals, quality supermarkets, the pub (when open) with real ales, the arts, pumping festivals and proper museums, rolling hills. If those are not positives, then never mind. The last thing I do is drink tap water, which is of course chlorinated. :whistling:

• Like 2

John B. Corn, methinks one is suffering from a bit of cabin fever. Understandable, as, even in paradise, it is never nice having to be someplace. Posit doing the extended visit thing when conditions permit. You guys are lucky with tons of options as the US has some choice spots to hang one's hat as, often not realised by Yankies even. I'd have to get around the Rocky's states and may even give my left nut to have a nice log cabin up in Wyoming.

Anyway, regards the cabin fever, do have a read of Tolle's Power of Now, or re-read. :wink:

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

John B. Corn, methinks one is suffering from a bit of cabin fever. Understandable, as, even in paradise, it is never nice having to be someplace. Posit doing the extended visit thing when conditions permit. You guys are lucky with tons of options as the US has some choice spots to hang one's hat as, often not realised by Yankies even. I'd have to get around the Rocky's states and may even give my left nut to have a nice log cabin up in Wyoming.

Anyway, regards the cabin fever, do have a read of Tolle's Power of Now, or re-read. :wink:

My best friend has a log cabin in Wyoming and I must admit if I had a US passport I would spend a portion of the year there. I may even look into getting some kind of visa so I can spend some time there every year. Miles and miles of hiking, nice neighbours who aren't exactly neighbours because they live a hike away. The view from her house is meadow then mountains. I don't know if I would survive the winter though!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:46 AM, NCC1701A said:

If I go back to the USA maybe I will wear a tee shirt that says "STRAIGHT OUT OF HUA HIN". 

Make sure you have a photo of some unattractive Thai chick on the back of that shirt. ????

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 2

On 5/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, Old Croc said:

My conclusion from this was that Thailand has brilliant internet almost everywhere.

I am not sure about "almost everywhere". We don't know what is OP's requirement for connections. For example I need at least a 1GB download and 300MB upload. Is it avaailable in every corner of Thailand? I doubt very much.

Edited by Mulambana

When I cannot play golf or boom boom anymore and am willing to pay $2400 for a one bedroom comparable what I pay $300 a month for here,  I will go back to the US.

Until then, I like my life here very much and plan on staying thanks.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, JohnBarleycorn said:

Yes, surely you are correct.

BUT, during the past few days, I have found myself using Google Voice to actually call coffee shops in Maine, USA.

What I have found from calling these coffee shops is:  I get a recording stating that the shops are not open at this time, presumably due to the virus.

However, this does not stop me from wondering about my moving to Maine....

I have been there before, even though I have never lived there.

YET....YET....These days, I just wonder what it might be like to live up in Maine, such a very beautiful state, and live in a land with thousands of lakes, billions of pine trees, and enough snow to satisfy anyone's desires.

Google Voice is great.  I applied for Google Voice a few years ago so that I can call any phone in the USA at no charge, or almost no charge.

Maybe when the coffee shops reopen in Maine, then I will call them to sort of shoot the sh..t, and maybe strike up a friendship.

I have 27 acres in Maine up in the north of the state. Internet can be tricky in very remote areas. However even relatively populated areas of Maine are still sparse. Incredible state one of my favorite in the USA. Mountains, breathtaking coastlines, forests, lakes anything you could ask for. 

Land is absolutely dirt cheap there and you can even still get lake front for not too much if you want that. Most of the current problems on the news aren't a factor in life in Maine. It's a little too cold for me in the winter. I am from Minnesota but don't want that kind of cold again. I will spend my summers up there some day. If work from home keeps up sooner rather than later.

Maine would be like returning to paradise compared to CM in my opinion. There are actually birds in the forests. 

To succeed we sometimes must fail.  Only you know the path you must take.  If returning to the US or leaving Thailand for any other place is how you feel, then you MUST do it.  If it does'nt work, then try something else.  Good luck.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:46 PM, NCC1701A said:

last night I burst out laughing as a Thai kid walked by with a tee shirt that said "STRAIGHT OUT OF COMPTON". For those of you that don't know Compton is a very small city near Los Angeles and the name of a film about Hip Hop and gangs. If I go back to the USA maybe I will wear a tee shirt that says "STRAIGHT OUT OF HUA HIN". 

They sell shirts at the small town grocery store here that say straight out of New Cumberland. I even have one. The name actually comes from their album and the movie was named after that. The film is specifically about the group NWA. I can't explain the acronym here. 

Now they use the same shirts and changed it to straight out of quarantine or straight outta toilet paper etc.

IMG_0262.jpeg

On 5/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, NCC1701A said:

i am an American. I don't know you but there is a real good chance you are going to hate the USA.

Maybe if you have 127,000 a month $4000 USD and can find a small town in rural America like Nevada or Montana. But you still have to interact with Americans everywhere you go. You might need a car and drivers license. Labor is expensive, health care is expensive and visiting the doctor is a cold horrible experience. you will need to stand in line at the pharmacy. you will still need to go grocery shopping. the same thing every time. OVER AND OVER. and if you can't shop or drive yourself your costs will sky rocket. no massage, no street food, and no one will talk to you and it will be the last time anyone smiles at you.

believe me i get the hermit thing but there is much to consider returning to the USA. 

The pharmacies here deliver, you can order your food online and just pick it up. I would say you need more like $3,000 a month to make it work. If you aren't handy or self sufficient this is where the costs get high. It helps if you can cook, put laundry in a washing machine, and drive. 

If you own your own place and it is paid for is the real key. Also avoid high tax trap states. Somebody mentioned New York, I know some prices up there are surprisingly low however how much is the property tax? In neighboring Pennsylvania I know people that have to put the house they have on AIRBNB to pay the $10,000 a year in taxes. No kidding. 

On 5/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, NCC1701A said:

i am an American. I don't know you but there is a real good chance you are going to hate the USA.

Maybe if you have 127,000 a month $4000 USD and can find a small town in rural America like Nevada or Montana. But you still have to interact with Americans everywhere you go. You might need a car and drivers license. Labor is expensive, health care is expensive and visiting the doctor is a cold horrible experience. you will need to stand in line at the pharmacy. you will still need to go grocery shopping. the same thing every time. OVER AND OVER. and if you can't shop or drive yourself your costs will sky rocket. no massage, no street food, and no one will talk to you and it will be the last time anyone smiles at you.

believe me i get the hermit thing but there is much to consider returning to the USA. 

No street food?

That is heck of a reason to stay in Thailand.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:06 PM, ChakaKhan said:

Ahh Google Voice..LOVe that app as I used it in CM when my thai sim wouldnt work to rebook my flight.

So yep I escaped and ducked thru the window to make it back to USA and land back on St Patricks Day

In hindsight I wish I stayed....Is a hot mess here. As I type the news has rioting going on, again, over another black man killed by a cop, again..rinse lather repeat...ugh  RIP to Mr Floyd, who was not resisting and cuffed

I come home to work and save money to return to Cm and have been doing so since 2008 as I gave up on the states after the big bank bailout.....and have had a foot between the east coast and CM ever since.

I tried the teaching(babysitting)thing in CM and gave up and did some cooking(rimping) and volunteering

Is just easier for me to return to east coast to work, make more $$ , visa free and as I do, enjoy the snow

I even worked in Maine on a historic schooner for a season and loved it up there, was snowing in april and enjoyed a ride up to arcadia park and its rugged beauty, i recall saying this is where God must vacation!

I luckily fell into an airbnb last year as I bought an old wagon and put a bed in the back as I too wanted to be away from pll and just work and save money to return to CM...I tinted the windows limo black and could park and wake up looking at ocean or mountains and just turn the key if It got noisy....I did some work with a phone delivery app so made my own hours and could work where ever I was and parked my car. I would eat anywhere as food was accessible and used a 24 hr gym to shower, even had a weed pump bottle for emergency showers if I was a a bit more out in the country..everything I own now fits in that wagon too...

however last years heat pushed me out into the airbnb out in the country on 4 acres..big sky starry nights.

I have a unlocked phone , from CM that I use a T mobile unlimited wifi for $50/month, so I would watch tv on my phone attached to my window and use the hotspot for my laptop and its been reliable all over too.

However the reverse culture shock of coming home sucks, everyone is in such a rush and its so expensive after living in CM, is always easier to go to Cm then it is to come home, find work and a place to live but luckily I have my wagon as a back up weather permitting as east coast humidity sucks! add in the cops too.

Im currently looking at a 4 season trailer to live in as its insulated for year round living for heat and cold and the owners where I am have 4 acres, as I maintain the land and house as they travel in their RV as well

People here always ask why I tell them im going back to Cm after some bad exps, dengue, broken leg, fights, visas, etc....but I feel much safer in LOS than USA, and get bored being here, as said just here to work and I ask them give me a good reason to stay and I  will, I have to go to Cm for basic human needs, to be able to have my own basic apt-studio room $100 in CM or a rented room in a house sharing a bathroom, for $600.....affordable food in Cm and many healthy options as Im now eating <deleted> as there are meat shortages and food is $$$ here, if we were allowed out due to pandemic as Ive been inside for over 2 months since returning to think Id be looking for work and that mess is a whole other ballgame as my plan may change drastically come nov 3rd, so this will be a defining year for the state of this country....ugh

is nice to come home for a year for xmas -snow-drinkable water--nice bed and shower--seeing friends and family but they are all settled and working so I barely see them actually...so best I just focus on work..

I lived behind the airport and I know your area well..I always told ppl I could never live near nimman-noise

There is nothing in the USA that I cant get in Cm but I live a very simple basic life and just ride around Cm on my bike daily and can get boring but try to stay busy..its a simple cheap and affordable place for housing-food-healthcare..all of which I struggle with in USA.....Im paying more for less quality here....why?

And My love for asian cuties and esp the cute china dolls on nimman, yet I am single as I dont pay to play but meet a few chinese and the tourists thru travel apps etc but find I prefer my thai area behind airport.

Just a bit of a ramble as my typing sucks and thoughts are all over the place but id def "sleep on it" as you can PM me to get updates but I am itching to get back to CM asap and Ive only been home since march 17

As your post was like a look into the future as we seem to live parallel lives--so close yet so far! good luck

John Wannamaker in Camden Maine?

@JohnBarleycornI'm not going to get into the pros and cons of moving back, but Internet.

Try to find a location small enough that the Comcast's and Verizon's aren't interested in, thats where you tend to get competition.

Here in South Dakota we fall into that category, and hence we have two competing Gigabit services for $79/Month, Midco & VAST, and thankfully not a Comcrap or Verizon to be seen!

We personally use Midco 1Gig, but I think they are both much of a muchness

Thinking about it Spearfish SD might be a place to look. Small town, very beautiful, both Midco & VAST have service.

You are close enough to Rapid City that when you crave Thai food we have a great restaurant here in town run by two of my wife's friends. 

The weather is good, yep snow in the winter, but NO it's not North Dakota, and the summers are hot.

You could probably very easily be a hermit there

Edited by GinBoy2

18 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

@JohnBarleycornI'm not going to get into the pros and cons of moving back, but Internet.

Try to find a location small enough that the Comcast's and Verizon's aren't interested in, thats where you tend to get competition.

Here in South Dakota we fall into that category, and hence we have two competing Gigabit services for $79/Month, Midco & VAST, and thankfully not a Comcrap or Verizon to be seen!

Thinking about it Spearfish SD might be a place to look. Small town, very beautiful, both Midco & VAST have service.

You are close enough to Rapid City that when you crave Thai food we have a great restaurant here in town run by two of my wife's friends. 

The weather is good, yep snow in the winter, but NO it's not North Dakota, and the summers are hot.

If you want snow go into the canyon. I love it out there how there is no snow on the open prairie and 6 feet deep a mile or two into the hills.

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

If you want snow go into the canyon. I love it out there how there is no snow on the open prairie and 6 feet deep a mile or two into the hills.

We live right on the Western edge of Rapid City, right at the start of the hills. We're tucked away in the trees, but right before you get into the Canyon.

You obviously know the area, we're in Chapel Valley, right next to Canyon Lake. Beautiful part of the world

13 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thank you VERY MUCH for this information. This might be useful.

I was last in Rapid City in 1970, sometime during the month of August.

No doubt this city has changed since then.

As I recall, I was on my way to Wyoming in order to walk around the Devils Tower where I almost stepped on a rattlesnake just after sundown.

Some of the most beautiful country is located in nearby states.

16 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I have 27 acres in Maine up in the north of the state. Internet can be tricky in very remote areas. However even relatively populated areas of Maine are still sparse. Incredible state one of my favorite in the USA. Mountains, breathtaking coastlines, forests, lakes anything you could ask for. 

Land is absolutely dirt cheap there and you can even still get lake front for not too much if you want that. Most of the current problems on the news aren't a factor in life in Maine. It's a little too cold for me in the winter. I am from Minnesota but don't want that kind of cold again. I will spend my summers up there some day. If work from home keeps up sooner rather than later.

Maine would be like returning to paradise compared to CM in my opinion. There are actually birds in the forests. 

Driving from Chateau Frontenac to Maine in January, this is the place to see snow.

There are also plenty of spruce trees on the way.

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

As I recall, I was on my way to Wyoming in order to walk around the Devils Tower where I almost stepped on a rattlesnake just after sundown.

Might be a little bigger, but not by much though, it's still only 70k people. Second biggest city in the State after Sioux Falls. Remember the whole State only has 800K people

But I'm pretty sure downtown Rapid is almost exactly the same as you remember from 1970, with a few more President statues

1 hour ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Sorry, but I forgot to mention a word of advice for those who find themselves in Wyoming after sundown, and trapped by rattlers:

If you find yourself in complete darkness on a footpath with the hiss of rattlers ahead, and no return back the way you came, in order to save yourselves, do as I did.

Search in your pockets for all the coins you have.

Then prepare yourself and throw all your spare change at the where you think the rattlers might be.

And then, run straight towards the rattling sounds as fast as you can, using long strides

If you don't get bit, then you can thank me on this thread, sometime in the future.

I will still be here waiting for your replies.

The snakes in Wyoming prefer lying around on footpaths after dark in order to keep warm during the cool nights

They become upset when disturbed.

It would be wise to carry some sort of lantern with you when you go see the sights in Wyoming after sunset.

• Like 1

Remember one thing. You've lived in very cold areas, then came here. Most people move to a warmer climate when they get older and here's a good reason for that. Cold gets old. I lived in New Jersey for 30 years and hated the winters unless I was ice fishing, skiing or hunting. Having to drive on ice and snow isn't fun, and most of the time you have to stay indoors because it's too cold to do anything. I would move back to lower New York even though I hate the winter, because the Spring, Summer and especially Fall make up for it. Four seasons are great. Here it's hot and hot. I lived in Texas for 32 years and it's actually hotter there on average than here, but it does get cold at times. Just not for too long. New England is beautiful, and again, hating the cold, I wouldn't mind being there because here it's as boring as it gets. I've been here a total of maybe 3 years, and it's already gotten old, mainly because Isaan doesn't have much. If I was nearer the beach it might be better, but this is where my wife's from and where we built a house, so it's here at least for now. Think hard what you had before. Bitter cold like the Dakota's isn't an easy thing. Cold from October to May with not much to do. Some like it, but I would only go there to hunt or fish. Montana is beautiful but again, cold a lot. Virginia has four seasons, a lot of country and it doesn't get extreme either way. Another possibility.