BANGKOK
JohnBarleycorn

After 40+ Years in Asia, without a break, I am now Toying with: Returning to America, and Becoming a Hermit in Trumpland!

What do you do if Trump cuts the internet?

When I left the west I knew what I was leaving behind and what I was choosing to go to.

I didn't leave on a whim or without full knowledge of the advantages and disadvantages of moving from a modern structured society to an exotic and at times chaotic life. I knew Thailand was in the tropics and I would never again know real cold nor ever be snowed upon.

I knew the politics were volatile and governments ever changing and self serving - just like in my home country!

I knew my new home would have noise and dust and squillions of very different people everywhere living life mainly as they please, without constant regulation and oversight. I knew the food would be different and very cheap, except for some products mainly produced and consumed in the west. I knew life would be cheap in both senses of the word.

If I were to head to home country now, with tail between legs, it would mean I made a mistake with my decision to emigrate in the first place. However, I don't feel I made that mistake, despite many changes and difficulties here now. I'm not silly enough to believe prices of everything in the old country have remained static, nor do I believe there are new freedoms and less interference in the daily life of citizens there. 

To the OP, maybe after forty years here you have reached the end of your Asian experience and wish to spend the rest of days reliving old memories. I wish you luck and hope you don't find yourself in a completely alien environment.  

12 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Would you please extrapolate a bit?

Even if you are a permanent resident or citizen of a foreign country, you are still required to report your worldwide income. Just like every US resident, if you're living abroad and fail to file your US or state taxes, you can receive a penalty for not filing taxes, even if you do not owe taxes.

http://www.back9.com.au/us-citizen-living-abroad-not-filing-taxes/

Posted (edited)

With, as you say, 40 years of experience in Asia under your belt, your reasons to leave, like weak internet connection and noisy neighbors, seem almost laughable.
I live very remotely, 300 Mbps, no noise.

Edited by orchis

3 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Even if you are a permanent resident or citizen of a foreign country, you are still required to report your worldwide income. Just like every US resident, if you're living abroad and fail to file your US or state taxes, you can receive a penalty for not filing taxes, even if you do not owe taxes.

http://www.back9.com.au/us-citizen-living-abroad-not-filing-taxes/

US residents live in the US. Foreign residents, including UScitizens, live abroad.  Pedantry without lexical precision is like ... it’s beyond compare, with my limited vocabulary.

11 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I doubt that I will hate the USA.

I am rather liberal in my thinking.

I even can accept sugar plum fairies.

I don't need to be one to enjoy them....right?

Holly came from Miami, F.L.A.
Hitch-hiked her way across the U.S.A.
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she
She says, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
Said, "Hey honey, take a walk on the wild side"
Candy came from out on the island
In the backroom, she was everybody's darlin'
But she never lost her head
Even when she was givin' head
She says, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
Said, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
And the colored girls go
Do-do-do, do-do, do-do-do
Do, do-do, do-do, do-do-do
Do, do-do, do-do, do-do-do, do
Little Joe never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
A hustle here and a hustle there
New York City is the place where they said
"Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
I said, "Hey Joe, take a walk on the wild side"
Sugar Plum Fairy came and hit the streets
Lookin' for soul food and a place to eat
Went to the Apollo
You should have seen him go, go, go
They said, "Hey Sugar, take a walk on the wild side"
I said, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
Alright, huh
Jackie is just speedin' away
Thought she was James Dean for a day
Then I guess she had to crash
Valium would have helped that bash
She said, "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
I said, "Hey honey, take a walk on the wild side"
And the colored girls say

Things have changed since before I was young

18 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Apart from being able to drink water direct from the tap (faucet), 

And walking on an evenly paved road, I can't think of any other positives of living back in the UK.

Ordered roads, governments that can be removed, excellent schools and hospitals, quality supermarkets, the pub (when open) with real ales, the arts, pumping festivals and proper museums, rolling hills. If those are not positives, then never mind. The last thing I do is drink tap water, which is of course chlorinated. :whistling:

• Like 2

John B. Corn, methinks one is suffering from a bit of cabin fever. Understandable, as, even in paradise, it is never nice having to be someplace. Posit doing the extended visit thing when conditions permit. You guys are lucky with tons of options as the US has some choice spots to hang one's hat as, often not realised by Yankies even. I'd have to get around the Rocky's states and may even give my left nut to have a nice log cabin up in Wyoming.

Anyway, regards the cabin fever, do have a read of Tolle's Power of Now, or re-read. :wink:

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

John B. Corn, methinks one is suffering from a bit of cabin fever. Understandable, as, even in paradise, it is never nice having to be someplace. Posit doing the extended visit thing when conditions permit. You guys are lucky with tons of options as the US has some choice spots to hang one's hat as, often not realised by Yankies even. I'd have to get around the Rocky's states and may even give my left nut to have a nice log cabin up in Wyoming.

Anyway, regards the cabin fever, do have a read of Tolle's Power of Now, or re-read. :wink:

My best friend has a log cabin in Wyoming and I must admit if I had a US passport I would spend a portion of the year there. I may even look into getting some kind of visa so I can spend some time there every year. Miles and miles of hiking, nice neighbours who aren't exactly neighbours because they live a hike away. The view from her house is meadow then mountains. I don't know if I would survive the winter though!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 8:46 AM, NCC1701A said:

If I go back to the USA maybe I will wear a tee shirt that says "STRAIGHT OUT OF HUA HIN". 

Make sure you have a photo of some unattractive Thai chick on the back of that shirt. 🙂

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, Old Croc said:

My conclusion from this was that Thailand has brilliant internet almost everywhere.

I am not sure about "almost everywhere". We don't know what is OP's requirement for connections. For example I need at least a 1GB download and 300MB upload. Is it avaailable in every corner of Thailand? I doubt very much.

Edited by Mulambana

When I cannot play golf or boom boom anymore and am willing to pay $2400 for a one bedroom comparable what I pay $300 a month for here,  I will go back to the US.

Until then, I like my life here very much and plan on staying thanks.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, JohnBarleycorn said:

Yes, surely you are correct.

BUT, during the past few days, I have found myself using Google Voice to actually call coffee shops in Maine, USA.

What I have found from calling these coffee shops is:  I get a recording stating that the shops are not open at this time, presumably due to the virus.

However, this does not stop me from wondering about my moving to Maine....

I have been there before, even though I have never lived there.

YET....YET....These days, I just wonder what it might be like to live up in Maine, such a very beautiful state, and live in a land with thousands of lakes, billions of pine trees, and enough snow to satisfy anyone's desires.

Google Voice is great.  I applied for Google Voice a few years ago so that I can call any phone in the USA at no charge, or almost no charge.

Maybe when the coffee shops reopen in Maine, then I will call them to sort of shoot the sh..t, and maybe strike up a friendship.

I have 27 acres in Maine up in the north of the state. Internet can be tricky in very remote areas. However even relatively populated areas of Maine are still sparse. Incredible state one of my favorite in the USA. Mountains, breathtaking coastlines, forests, lakes anything you could ask for. 

Land is absolutely dirt cheap there and you can even still get lake front for not too much if you want that. Most of the current problems on the news aren't a factor in life in Maine. It's a little too cold for me in the winter. I am from Minnesota but don't want that kind of cold again. I will spend my summers up there some day. If work from home keeps up sooner rather than later.

Maine would be like returning to paradise compared to CM in my opinion. There are actually birds in the forests. 

To succeed we sometimes must fail.  Only you know the path you must take.  If returning to the US or leaving Thailand for any other place is how you feel, then you MUST do it.  If it does'nt work, then try something else.  Good luck.