BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

French restaurant tests clear plastic domes that hang over each individual diner

Get ready to dine à la dome.

A restaurant in Paris is toying with the idea of placing each patron’s head under a clear bucket-shaped dome, in order to prevent the transmission of coronavirus upon reopening.

The prototype domes, proposed by French designer Christophe Gernigon, would hang from the ceiling above each diner, and extend down to their mid-torsos. Another of Gernigon’s prototypes would extend down over two diners, to simply separate their party from those within the dining room.

I imagined, during my nocturnal creative wanderings of these months of confinement, a new way of welcoming customers of bars and restaurants in search of outings,” writes Gernigon of his design, called the “Plex’Eat,” on his website.

Even if I hope not to get there, it is better to consider aesthetic, design and elegant alternatives that guarantee the rules of social distancing.”

Gernigon, meanwhile, isn’t the only innovator keen on keeping customers interested in dining out amid the pandemic.

Restauranteurs with hopes to reopen are already trying such tactics as draping the dining room in shower curtains, filling empty seats with mannequins (sometimes wearing the latest fashions), seating customers in their own little greenhouses, or requiring diners to sit within inner-tube-like tables.

Mathieu Manzoni, the director at Paris restaurant H.A.N.D., where the design of Gernigon’s “Plex’eat” domes are being showcased, said he believes the domes are among some of the more aesthetically pleasing, and even “more poetic” options.

FULL ARTICLE

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Fox News :coffee1:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Dining inside a giant condom could be a fetish for someone

but not for me, thank you. I prefer to save the nature, no more plastic please!

I actually had the same thought, but about airlines... instead of charging double

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

I actually had the same thought, but about airlines... instead of charging double

Anyway everyone on board need to breathe the same air from the general aircon system

in the cabin, then social distancing or plastic domes don't make sense in a plane

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

this idea is so awesome. i for one will take full advantage of such devices. how did we ever survive without this ingenious and forward thinking ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

silly... i think that the virus will pass despite what the doomsday people say, eventually we will all return to a "new normal"  but it wont mean plastic dome dining.

No doubt there would be a surcharge for this extra facility.