Isaan Rocket Launch Injures 39

george

Isaan rocket launch injures 39

UBON RATCHATANI: -- Ubon Ratchathani and Si Sa Ket will get tough on villagers launching traditional northeastern-style rockets following an accident on Monday that injured 39 people.

On Monday afternoon, Ban Than villagers in Ubon Ratchathani's Khuang Nai district held a traditional Bang Fai rocket festival to welcome merit-makers from Bangkok, but a rocket exploded shortly after being launched, injuring the 39.

Khuang Nai district chief Narong Chaowalilitkul yesterday said he had already instructed all officials to improve safety standards for this festival - held annually between April 17 and May 16 - including not allowing people to get too close to rocket-launching areas.

He also ordered all tambons not to aim rockets in the direction of Ubon Ratchathani Airport, because they could pose a hazard to aircraft.

He said the event organisers were now discussing compensation payments for the injured.

The incident also prompted neighbouring Si Sa Ket province to act. Governor Santad Chatuchai announced that Bang Fai rockets would be allowed only for "traditional events" in the sixth month of the year.

He added that the Aviation Control Office must be informed of any Bang Fai rocket launchings, especially ones occurring in Kanthararom, Yang Chum Noi and Muang districts, as those would be directly in flight paths.

-- The Nation 2007-04-17

He also ordered all tambons not to aim rockets in the direction of Ubon Ratchathani Airport, because they could pose a hazard to aircraft.

can it be possible that in this day and age village idiots are still launching home made rockets near a domestic airport , is this part of thai culture or is it some kind of comedy show.

That is sad to see people injured (particularly as I was thinking of driving there to see it). Its a huge event and hopefully they can introduce some new safety standards like the rocket clubs in the USA and Australia.

hopefully they can introduce some new safety standards like the rocket clubs in the USA and Australia

yeah , right.

Well I hope this is a catalyst for this to happen. In essence, they are playing with solid fuel rockets that are a controlled explosion at the best of times. The cost of electronics to fire the rockets at a safe distance are very cheap.

lets hope you're right.

I used to play with rocket clubs and the really simple way (with some pratice) is some steel wool, a 12 volt Car battery and about 50 meters of twin insulated cable. When the 12 volts it applied to the steel wool it sparks enough to ignite a fuse etc.

This is me at "Bon Fai" in my Village south of Nakhon Phanom

Forgive the Translation if not correct

I am Firing the Rocket in the Avi

This is done the day before Songkran starts in the village

I never gave a thought about Aeroplanes.. We are directly under the flight path of the Nakhon Phanom to Krung Thep PB Air Flight

The pilot must have been dodging them all the way back to to Krung Thep :o

Our Party Started around 3.00 Pm and lasted some 3 hours..With some 60 or so Rockets being launched Via a 15 metre length of Speaker Cable and a Motor Cycle

These Baby,s really fly.. The record time at our village for the re-landing the Rocket was 3 Minutes and 45 seconds

Mine came no were near

But i cheated i paid for mine to be made in Sakhon Nakhon

Great Day Great Party Great Songkran

Thank God for Isaan

post-38395-1176825916_thumb.jpg

IMGP1074.avi

I watched the Yasothon Rocket festival last year. The event highlight was the largest and last rocket to be launched. A lot of drama as they lit the fuse and nothing happened for about 25 minutes. A couple of the 'rocket engineers' would periodically try to approach it, but were restrained by their cohorts.

Finally, with no warning, smoke started bellowing out of the bottom of the rocket, it slowly lifted up about 10 meters, then took off parallel to the ground due south along the main highway (it was supposed to rise vertically at least 1000 meters high, and fall in the empty fields due east.

According to the newspaper the next day, it ended up traveling around 4 kilometers before crashing into a tree and garage in a village. No one injured, but the PuuYai who sponsored this big rocket returned to Bkk immediately without attending the post-festival reception.

can it be possible that in this day and age village idiots are still launching home made rockets near a domestic airport , is this part of thai culture or is it some kind of comedy show.

Seem to remember that in the early days of Cambodia opening its doors there was a firing range next to the airport, where you could fire RPGs or heavy machine guns if you were so inclined.

I never gave a thought about Aeroplanes.. We are directly under the flight path of the Nakhon Phanom to Krung Thep PB Air Flight

Our Party Started around 3.00 Pm and lasted some 3 hours..With some 60 or so Rockets being launched Via a 15 metre length of Speaker Cable and a Motor Cycle

These Baby,s really fly.. The record time at our village for the re-landing the Rocket was 3 Minutes and 45 seconds

Mine came no were near

Thank God for Isaan

Mine came no were near

Thank God for Isaan

Mine came no were near

Thank God for Isaan

Back in Australia for medicals and missed all the fun--if the rocket had come near the PB Air flight --they may have taken it as a warning they are charging to much for their flights to Nakhon Phanom.

Ruthles1--Nong Yat.

Seem to remember that in the early days of Cambodia opening its doors there was a firing range next to the airport, where you could fire RPGs or heavy machine guns if you were so inclined.

Still can..... almost name your weapon