Land border restrictions post Amnesty

Currently ME non O, visa expires June 25th so assume if I left the country July 1st for example I could not get a 90 day entry on entry to Thailand as my visa will have expired. Assuming this is correct, if and when borders do open say to Laos, when I go to apply for a fresh non O visa, what will likely be the extra requirements (if any) coming back into Thailand and/or on applying for a new visa? Medical insurance? Quarantine? Other? Opinions please.

Edited by johnny1966

The requirements will be announced in due course. It is really impossible to predict what they might be. Most likely, tourist visas will not be issued at all for some time, though there may be exceptions for a few countries that have eliminated the virus, most likely with the appropriate visas only being issued in home country, and only for those travelling as part of tour groups). It is possible that the Thai government may see a need to provide a solution to close family members of Thais, but I fear they will expect people to extend in country rather than providing easy Non O visas.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The requirements will be announced in due course. It is really impossible to predict what they might be. Most likely, tourist visas will not be issued at all for some time, though there may be exceptions for a few countries that have eliminated the virus, most likely with the appropriate visas only being issued in home country, and only for those travelling as part of tour groups). It is possible that the Thai government may see a need to provide a solution to close family members of Thais, but I fear they will expect people to extend in country rather than providing easy Non O visas.

So your prediction is no more non o visas issued by thai consulates in neighbouring countries. Wow.

If you read the press release:

"The government has set July 1 for the lift of all business and activity lock-downs ordered earlier to cope with the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), said the National Security Council chief.

These include inter-provincial and international travel, as well as the end of emergency decree and curfew.

NSC secretary-general Gen Somsak Rungsita said on Thursday that the lift of restrictions would be a complete reopening of the country."

I've highlighted what I view as the most significant bits of the statement.

Of course there would be some specific rules to follow in regards of hygiene, masks, distancing etc..

But it does sound like they are really planning to get back to the prior normal without any radical restrictions.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It would be really dumb since many are already in Thailand and might not find a flight home before the 31st of July. A lot of people will NEED to do visa run in the neighboring countries to avoid overstay. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sundown said:

It would be really dumb since many are already in Thailand and might not find a flight home before the 31st of July. A lot of people will NEED to do visa run in the neighboring countries to avoid overstay. 

I think everything will be clearer in July and certainly by the 31st of that month. There is not way to make any prediction of what be allowed or required.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

So your prediction is no more non o visas issued by thai consulates in neighbouring countries. Wow.

I don't think he meant that.

Nobody knows what will available or required.

You can now stay until July 31st. If married to or the parrent of a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can now stay until July 31st. If married to or the parrent of a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit them.

Do you mean on July ..30? I can apply for another 60 day extension? I think I am reading something wrong but just confirming. Or you're referring to the original poster where he could apply for another 60 days before June 25th?

4 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

Do you mean on July ..30? I can apply for another 60 day extension? I think I am reading something wrong but just confirming.

July 31st is when the amnesty end at this time. He could apply for an extension on that day or earlier.

If you have already gotten a 60 day extension since you last entered the country you could not apply for another one. Only one per entry is allowed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

My own current 90 day entry expires on June 6th. The amnesty means I can stay until 31st July without penalty. If I wanted a 60 day extension should it be done before 6th of June or can it be done in the last week of July ?

Of course there may be different options by then so would prefer to defer any action as long as possible.

( posted as you were answering same question from Andy. Thanks for clarification. )

Edited by Denim

They are still thinking about how to allow foreigners trapped outside Thailand. But the priority right now is Thais, foreigners with work permits, and permannent residents in that order. After they take care of these group of people, they will allow foreigners with thai families trapped outside. But the requirements for the first three group of people may serve as a clue to others also. Foreigners with Thai family already inside Thailand don't need any special treatment as they can always extend their stay to on-year at a time without ever leaving Thailand. 

Edited by Mulambana

22 hours ago, Mulambana said:

But the requirements for the first three group of people may serve as a clue to others also.

The requirements were implemented while under the current state of emergency.

Only applicable until July 1st when it's been planned to expire.

The mandatory 14-day quarantine at the state facility will abandoned or no one will come.

20 minutes ago, unheard said:

The requirements were implemented while under the current state of emergency.

Only applicable until July 1st when it's been planned to expire.

The mandatory 14-day quarantine at the state facility will abandoned or no one will come.

If you think The mandatory 14-day quarantine will disappear July 1st I suspect you will be disappointed

The number of people in state quarantine is 20,953 of whom 140 have been found to be infected, she said.

According to the BP 30 MAY Dr. Panprapa said that in the last 2 weeks 43 of the 52 new cases involving Thais were international arrivals leaving 9 as domestic cases.

the embassies will be overrun by all the people that cannot get a regular extension overhere for dubious reasons of rogue officers demanding papers that are not even on the official immigration website that mostly have DEAD links ... try to find the link of the requirements of an extension based of being a parent of a Thai child ========> DEAD LINK, redirect and there you go...no info

2 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

the embassies will be overrun by all the people that cannot get a regular extension overhere for dubious reasons of rogue officers demanding papers that are not even on the official immigration website that mostly have DEAD links ... try to find the link of the requirements of an extension based of being a parent of a Thai child ========> DEAD LINK, redirect and there you go...no info

What site are you using? Try this link. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18

40 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

this is what should have info:

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/child.pdf

Where did you find that link. It does exist on any website I am aware of.

The link I gave your is correct and the only one for extensions for being a parent of a Thai. All of the extensions are under clause 2.18 of the police orders. Note that the I link I gave ends with 18.

It baffles me that people remotely think opening up the country means tourism as usual. It’s wishful thinking, especially for Europeans and US. Get ready for tons of hoops and insurance and Covid requirements and showing you have money. Everyone else, welcome, in late 2021 maybe.

• Like 2