Getting rid of Tookgay

Yes I'm talking about the big Tokay's, not jingjoks or geckos.  Several have invaded my room, and I cannot get rid of them. They hide behind furniture and everwhere.  I want to bait some of those big glue mousetraps, and try to catch them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

5 hours ago, nikmar said:

i would love a tookay in my home. been getting a few cockroaches and the cat cant be bothered getting off her fat <deleted> to get them so a decent sized tookay would be just the ticket. Also, it would have the added bonus of p***ing the wife off. ????

Moved into a jungle house that had a resident cat.  I stayed there for ten years, fed it occasionally whole fresh fish. It survived on snakes, rats and tokays and was happy as larry. Said goodbye to it when I moved out 6 years ago. 

Going on holiday was never an issue, it would come running as soon as I got back home. 

Stop feeding your cat and it will either get its act together or move out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I don't mind the tokays, but it p's me off when they shout in the early hours and wake me up. Bloody thing has got inside my suspended ceiling, and makes an almighty racket.

Agree.  Here's the thing, you can have 100 of them around the house, they'll make a boatload of racket and you'll never sleep, and everyplace is STILL full of bugs.  So, I'll take the bugs and no noise from the lizards.  They can never get rid of any noticeable quantity of bugs.  Just a fact.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, smerty said:

Anybody know what type of bait would be best to use to catch Tookgays in those glue mousetraps?

Ants, cockroaches, small jingjoks.

But, seriously, they are a protected species in Thailand.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

For supposed territorial creatures, we had 3 last night, down on the porch floor chasing the big flying bugs!! The missus and her niece came screaming in shutting the outside light and double entrance doors and screen. They are scared sh.tl.ss of 'em!! ????????????????????????????????

Little Thai children are taught bedtime stories if they’re not quiet and go to sleep the tokays are going to come and eat their hearts out of their chest. 

• Haha 2

Stainless steel or glass bowl with a couple of roaches in it, near your tookay's known hangout.

Watch for action and it'll get in the bowl for feeding, cover the bowl.

Or use a brush to make it drop to the floor, cover with bowl or box and slide so.ething flat underneath carefully ( don't harm the beastie ).

Take it a good distance from your home and release it.

Last time we had one it ate all the geckos!

I like them but my wife and every Thai I know does not.

Don't try to handle them as they can give a nasty bite.

• Like 2

They could only invade your room if it was not sealed from the outside, like a Quonset hut. 

Be aware that those glue traps are for killing; once trapped there is no rehabilitation. They're off to the big wall in the sky....

15 hours ago, smerty said:

Yes I'm talking about the big Tokay's, not jingjoks or geckos.  Several have invaded my room, and I cannot get rid of them. They hide behind furniture and everwhere.  I want to bait some of those big glue mousetraps, and try to catch them.

THIS is definitely a conundrum as you have a problem with this critter that you are considering a glue pad to eliminate. One, what will you bait it with? Two, what will you do with the very live and active tokay when it is stuck and very much alive? Just curious, just asking.

16 hours ago, smerty said:

those glue mousetraps?

I think I can feel with you, but these glue traps are - in almost every case -

really disgusting.

Best for me seems to throw a towel etc. towards them, then the 'Gecko gecko' 

tumbles to earth(no problem), will be distracted and you or your partner should try to catch

this nice animal inside the fabric.

If you have a fast eye and a fast hand, just grab it...

Better wear gloves and long sleeves.

Then bring it back into nature, far away from your house.

Or wait till some TV-members will send you a PM to pick up your Tookgay soon.

Good luck. No joke.

Yom