Getting rid of Tookgay

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Be aware that those glue traps are for killing; once trapped there is no rehabilitation. They're off to the big wall in the sky....

My step-son will not kill rats. When I had some in my roof we caught them on glue traps. He took them into a field and poured cooking oil on them. Apparently, they can free themselves fairly quickly.

Not sure if it works with Tokays.

• Like 1

I am glad to read that there are so many tokay lovers on the Forum.

Although thai people tell their children when they do not behave that 'the tokay will come and get them', it is considered good luck when they choose to stay at your home.

We have at least 3 that stay in our open-air patio and I always have to smile when I hear their repeated love-cry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, phetphet said:

I don't mind the tokays, but it p's me off when they shout in the early hours and wake me up. Bloody thing has got inside my suspended ceiling, and makes an almighty racket.

Get one of those jump start units for cars, fully charge and put the battery on strobe light flashing. put it up in ceiling space for one or two days/nights it will go away.

You can get humane traps from lazada big enough for them. The traps are clear plastic so u can see inside and once it’s in they won’t get out. Then it’s a case of taking it few km away and letting it go. Cost about 150 bht a trap.

The glue traps are horrible things and should only be used at last resort.

I had to use one as the tookey was hiding in the space between my air con and the ceiling , but this was too small to put the humane trap and the coving at the side of the air hadn’t been sealed so it could run in there to hide . The tookey would come <deleted> on my bed at night before I went to sleep and then run back on top of the air con. Eventually I got a sticky trap sheet from lazada that was a metre long and placed it on the bed . Two days later tookey was stuck on it .So wearing oven gloves I took it outside and slowly pulled it off the glued sheet . Then cleaned the glue of its feet etc as best as I could and sat it on a wall. Half hour later it had left .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I regularly use the glue traps for mice and rats, and occasionally find a tokey or golden skink. I free them carefully using cooking/vegetable oil to get the sticky stuff off.

Yes I used olive oil for the tookey I caught on one. ????????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Although thai people tell their children when they do not behave that 'the tokay will come and get them', it is considered good luck when they choose to stay at your home.

We have at least 3 that stay in our open-air patio and I always have to smile when I hear their repeated love-cry.

Do your domestic ones talk with one another, between front and back of the house ?
I always think that is funny, and wonder which one will have the last kreey after the seven compulsory greetings have been exchanged.

7 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Yes I used olive oil for the tookey I caught on one. ????????

well, people say they are delicious, matter of taste I guess, never tried.
maybe olive oil and oregano to give a mediterranean touch?

• Haha 2

On 5/30/2020 at 8:51 AM, ronaldo0 said:

You can get humane traps from lazada big enough for them. The traps are clear plastic so u can see inside and once it’s in they won’t get out. Then it’s a case of taking it few km away and letting it go. Cost about 150 bht a trap.

Looks interesting and cheap:

JinJok77baht.JPG.a641d7df868a3b437c796f487499b9b3.JPG

My usual way of getting rid of jinjoks inside the house is to shine a very bright torch at them e.g. a torch with a Cree LED bulb.

Just like the virologist said in the film "World War Z":

"Sometimes the thing you thought was the most brutual aspect of the virus, turns out to be the chink in its armour."

With jinjoks, its extremely sensitive eyes are its weakness. Shine a bright torch straight at its head and the jinjok may start to run, but if you're quick and accurate it'll freeze and you can do what you want with it.

Tokays are a different matter and I leave them alone.

25 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Looks interesting and cheap:

JinJok77baht.JPG.a641d7df868a3b437c796f487499b9b3.JPG

My usual way of getting rid of jinjoks inside the house is to shine a very bright torch at them e.g. a torch with a Cree LED bulb.

Just like the virologist said in the film "World War Z":

"Sometimes the thing you thought was the most brutual aspect of the virus, turns out to be the chink in its armour."

With jinjoks, its extremely sensitive eyes are its weakness. Shine a bright torch straight at its head and the jinjok may start to run, but if you're quick and accurate it'll freeze and you can do what you want with it.

Tokays are a different matter and I leave them alone.

I bought one of those traps ( from Mr DIY I think ) as we had cockroaches coming out of the drain. It comes with some bait that looks like crushed biscuit.

After about 2 months it had caught the tiniest of cockroaches.

Too small for tookays.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 6:31 PM, nikmar said:

i would love a tookay in my home. been getting a few cockroaches and the cat cant be bothered getting off her fat <deleted> to get them so a decent sized tookay would be just the ticket. Also, it would have the added bonus of p***ing the wife off. ????

Are tokays and cats compatible?

On 5/29/2020 at 8:31 AM, nikmar said:

i would love a tookay in my home. been getting a few cockroaches and the cat cant be bothered getting off her fat <deleted> to get them so a decent sized tookay would be just the ticket. Also, it would have the added bonus of p***ing the wife off. ????

Probably the wife and cat would have the same reaction  ????????

I've got one of the little critters living

behind a painting on the wall, comes

down every evening and strolls across

the table about 2' away, I say good evening

it does'nt say much but winks knowingly.

He's no bother, he's my little buddy.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 7:51 AM, Peter Denis said:

We have 2 or 3 around the house and the neighbour has a couple as well. Nice things to have about the house.

• Like 2