English Premier League announces June 17 restart

webfact

English Premier League announces June 17 restart

By Simon Evans

2020-05-28T144001Z_2_LYNXMPEG4R1KV_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SOCCER-ENGLAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Southampton v Aston Villa - St Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - February 22, 2020 General view of match balls on the pitch before the match Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs /File Photo

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - The Premier League season will restart on June 17 provided all safety requirements have been put in place, the league said on Thursday after meeting with all 20 clubs.

The season will get back under way on that Wednesday with Aston Villa v Sheffield United and Manchester City v Arsenal, which are both games in hand.

A full fixture list will then be played on the weekend of June 19-21. All games will be played without fans in attendance.

With the restrictions on the broadcasting of Saturday 3pm games lifted, the league said all 92 remaining matches will be broadcast live in the UK by its existing broadcast partners: Sky Sports, BT Sport, BBC Sport and Amazon Prime.

The BBC, normally limited to a highlights show, will broadcast Premier League matches live for the first time since the English top-flight broke away from the Football League in 1992. The licence-fee funded network will have four games.

Subscription-based Sky Sports will have 64 of the remaining games with 25 of those matches broadcast on free channels.

The Premier League was suspended on March 13 due to the novel coronavirus pandemic but teams returned to small group training last week and on Wednesday voted unanimously to return to contact training, including tackling.

“Today we have provisionally agreed to resume the Premier League on Wednesday 17 June. But this date cannot be confirmed until we have met all the safety requirements needed, as the health and welfare of all participants and supporters is our priority," said Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters.

Failure to resume the season could cost the league around 750 million pounds in lost revenue from broadcasters according to British media estimates.

"Sadly, matches will have to take place without fans in stadiums, so we are pleased to have come up with a positive solution for supporters to be able to watch all the remaining 92 matches," said Masters.

“The Premier League and our clubs are proud to have incredibly passionate and loyal supporters. It is important to ensure as many people as possible can watch the matches at home," he added.

Given the additional number of live games on television, the league said kick-offs would "differ from the traditional times."

Liverpool, bidding to lift their first league title in 30 years, lead the standings by 25 points.

(Reporting by Simon Evans; Editing by Hugh Lawson/Pritha Sarkar/Ken Ferris)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-29

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

Failure to resume the season could cost the league around 750 million pounds in lost revenue from broadcasters according to British media estimates.

I hear, err read, the same assessment from other sports leagues.

Failure to earn revenue should not be construed to be a loss of money. If you have X dollars, and you lose such, then that is a loss.

If you did not have the X dollars in the first place, and lost an opportunity to earn X dollars, your position has not changed (other than perhaps a loss of face). In the end you will have a net of 0 (zero) dollars.

P.S. I'm not a business man. I just know how to balance my finances. If I purchase a lottery ticket for $2, and fail to win the grand prize, I am only short $2... not $250 million.

3 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Failure to earn revenue should not be construed to be a loss of money. If you have X dollars, and you lose such, then that is a loss.

If you did not have the X dollars in the first place, and lost an opportunity to earn X dollars, your position has not changed (other than perhaps a loss of face). In the end you will have a net of 0 (zero) dollars.

P.S. I'm not a business man. I just know how to balance my finances. If I purchase a lottery ticket for $2, and fail to win the grand prize, I am only short $2... not $250 million.

Maybe they should have said loss of potential revenue. They will however probably have a net loss due to still having overheads and other expenses.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Terrible analogy. 

Of course it's lost revenue, it's an agreed amount of money that would be paid and would be accounted for in financial statements for the season.

Contracts with fees for services is revenue, not a missed opportunity, completely different circumstances. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Terrible analogy. 

Of course it's lost revenue, it's an agreed amount of money that would be paid and would be accounted for in financial statements for the season.

Contracts with fees for services is revenue, not a missed opportunity, completely different circumstances. 

Bloody hell.....a month off and you come back to pick a fight!????. I agree with you by the way but don't normally respond to those with no interest in the footy forums.

Welcome back bud! Been lonely on the LFC thread!????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wilai said:

Bloody hell.....a month off and you come back to pick a fight!????. I agree with you by the way but don't normally respond to those with no interest in the footy forums.

Welcome back bud! Been lonely on the LFC thread!????

Alright Willers la, tip of the hat to you cock. 

Let's ride this baby home!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Alright Willers la, tip of the hat to you cock. 

Let's ride this baby home!

Yeah... Klopp's big cheesy grin in training photos says it all. It looks like you will win the title.

I'd prefer this than you being denied it and everyone have to listen to years and years of whinging. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wilai said:

The whinging will still be around mate......just won't be coming from our end of the East Lancs Road????

You were still heavy favourites to win it, but there is a case of what might have been.... you were in absolute free fall before the lockdown. 

• Haha 2

What a pity. I was hoping that football would be outlawed forever.  Still it's been a nice break, not having to watch the babies and over paid, under talented spoilt brats that play the professional game, prance around the field, mostly giving the ball away to the opposition and then complaining to 'Mummy' that the nasty man hit them in the leg. then falling down as if they had been blown up by a land mine.  No, I am not a fan.   

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Still it's been a nice break, not having to watch the babies and over paid, under talented spoilt brats that play the professional game,

Are you usually forced to watch the football?

Just now, Susco said:

Are you usually forced to watch the football?

no thank God, but my so called 'friends' all love the game and bore the hell out of me discussing the pointless exercise with me.  Then to add insult to injury, they will not take at all seriously my endless and informative monologues on the wonderful game of American Football.   Maybe I just need new friends?