Protests, looting erupt in Minneapolis over racially charged killing by police

webfact

15 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

And as if either being silent or engaging in violence are the only two options.

Certainly seems to be the only way things get done. Trump loves the violence even telling police to rough people up, bash people at his rallies.

16 hours ago, jimmyswale said:

Thailand for all it's faults and inequalities shows a much more humane side to the world in extremis than does 'The Land of the Free' let's hope that that prevails in the difficult months ahead.

American Dream . 

42 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

And as if either being silent or engaging in violence are the only two options.

Exactly. They could still protest and justifiably so. It's the wholesale destruction of cities, looting and burning cars that's somewhat betraying the events for what they are. Not dignified protests, but evil, inconsiderate and brutal violence aimed for selfish gain.

Edited by Logosone
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Exactly. They could still protest and justifiably so. It's the wholesale destruction of cities, looting and burning cars that's somewhat betraying the events for what they are. Not dignified protests, but evil, inconsiderate and brutal violence aimed for selfish gain.

And all of it orchestrated, managed and led by far right white supremicist groups.

PH

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Depends who you consider the savages?

1) Police with guns killing black folk for no reason, or

2) Black people trying to escape the police oppression.

(I'd probably run and hide from both sides)

I don't think stealing a 50" Sony TV, or torching a small restaurant equates to 'trying to escape police oppression'. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

I certainy do feel sorry for the innocent business owners, who work hard to provide for the families, who now see looters ruthlessly exploiting the destruction and mayhem shored up by the Antifa and anarchist activists. 

It's always the innocent that suffer.

I was not particularly sympathetic to this view, but in Seattle and Portland anyway, there is a lot of evidence now that it is outside agitators inflaming the situation and causing great destruction for their own ends, which have nothing to do with the death of George Floyd. They would appear to be a fairly small minority of protestors but apparently it doesn't take very many to inflame an already, highly emotionally charged situation.

Seen on Twitter:

Two possible outcomes: 1) Covid cases & deaths spike, causing more lockdowns and destruction of the economy 2) No drastic spike so the public feels completely & justifiably gaslighted by leaders and media. Either one inches us closer to a revolution to tear down the status quo.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimmyswale said:

This is Trump's America 2020 descending into an authoritarian police state. Shameful. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52880970

Rubber Bullets and Pepper.  I agree, shameful.  Suggest 7.62mm, full metal jacket.  Much more effective at stopping looters. ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/29/2020 at 5:37 AM, yogi100 said:

Floyd could be heard saying quite clearly that he could not breathe yet the cop continued to purposefully exert pressure for several minutes when he should have eased up.

The death was intentional so it's a clear case of murder.

It would be manslaughter if it had been accidental which it obviously was not.

Closer inspection of another video not yet shown revealed that the knee remained pressed on his neck for 2:40 minutes AFTER he was unresponsive. One of the other officers checked his pulse to reveal he had none.

IMO He should be charged with murder 1, giving prosecutors a better chance of sticking him with murder 2. The other cops should at least be charged with murder 3.

2 hours ago, jimmyswale said:

This is Trump's America 2020 descending into an authoritarian police state. Shameful. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52880970

Yeah, here's the compassionate, if addled choice:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-suggests-police-could-shoot-assailants-in-the-leg-instead-of-the-heart-201750470.html

Edited by lannarebirth

12 hours ago, Logosone said:

You didn't mention anything about protestors attacking innocent police officers just doing their duty. Once they start attacking police officers (throwing projectiles, etc), they have lost their right to protest. They have taken it upon themselves to extract revenge by attacking innocent people at random. That's twisted and very wrong. 

The looting is another story. That's other people with no interest in the actual reason for the protest using it as an excuse to steal property. They make the protesters look bad. The protestors should be attacking them instead of the police officers.

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

You didn't mention anything about protestors attacking innocent police officers just doing their duty. Once they start attacking police officers (throwing projectiles, etc), they have lost their right to protest. They have taken it upon themselves to extract revenge by attacking innocent people at random. That's twisted and very wrong. 

The looting is another story. That's other people with no interest in the actual reason for the protest using it as an excuse to steal property. They make the protesters look bad. The protestors should be attacking them instead of the police officers.

I think you have to define what is a "protester". Almost all protesters I have seen in every city have been non violent. There have been many groups that have taken advantage of the protests to act in destructive and even violent ways. I'm not sure what "Antifa" even is, but there's no question that there's a group within the crowd trying to stir violence and property destruction that is wholly disconnected from the primary protest group. Also some gangs are evening scores in the absence of police scrutiny. I've seen scant evidence of "White Supremacists" beyond online bullsh*t, but I suspect they'll show up if the heat rises further.

Edited by lannarebirth

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Ok. My definition of a protester is a person protesting non-violently by placard or voice. He is not destroying private or public property and not attacking police officers or any other people. 

That is a good description of the Washington protests, dispersed with teargas so Trump could go to church for a photo op.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That is a good description of the Washington protests, dispersed with teargas so Trump could go to church for a photo op.

I believe there have been some protests that fit that description.

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Ok. My definition of a protester is a person protesting non-violently by placard or voice. He is not destroying private or public property and not attacking police officers or any other people. 

I understand where you are coming from but I honestly think your definition is too narrow. 

I have an example from personal experience. 

I was at the famous white night riot at San Francisco city hall in 1979. 

This was before smart phones of course but people from all over the city were magically drawn there including me. 

There was rage. There was anger. There was impatience over decades of injustice. 

A few people in the crowd broke down the doors of city hall and burned some police cars. 

While that was a small minority doing that I think the majority saw those extreme actions as expressions of protest as well and least understood the rage that led to that. 

I agree with you about looting. That isn't protest. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 5/30/2020 at 9:42 AM, nahkit said:
On 5/29/2020 at 2:34 PM, Heppinger said:

Virtue signalling- giving the "asian" cop a free pass because he is well... not white.

Nope, I'm not giving him a free pass, I'm saying that as he was facing the onlookers he probably wasn't fully aware of what was happening behind him. Time will tell when charges are brought and it goes to court.

"Virtue signalling" - the go-to phrase for those that can't discuss things rationally.

"According to court documents, Thao watched as Chauvin placed his knee on Floyd's neck, then turned to keep the crowd from getting too close.

Weinmann said Thao appears focused on controlling the growing crowd, as he is trained to do, and said prosecutors face a challenge of convicting him for failing to monitor Chauvin's level of force."

Labelled a "virtue signaller" by those too stupid to understand what the video showed.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

FYI, for those who remember the curious umbrealla man vandalizing the auto parts store...

'Umbrella Man' aimed to 'incite violence' during George Floyd protests, police say

The suspect is a member of the Hell's Angels biker gang and a member of the Aryan Cowboy Brotherhood, a white supremacist gang, the affidavit said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/umbrella-man-aimed-incite-violence-during-george-floyd-protests-police-n1235148?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

According to the Anti-Defamation League, the Aryan Cowboy Brotherhood is a known prison gang that operates primarily in Minnesota and Kentucky.

A possible suspect could be "weeve" or Andrew Allan Escher Auernheimer, lets see what his wikipedia page says.

In 2016, Auernheimer was responsible for sending thousands of white-supremacist flyers to unsecured web-connected printers at multiple universities and other locations in the U.S. Since his release from prison, he has lived in a variety of locations in Eastern Europe and the Middle East.[citation needed] In 2017, it was reported that he was acting as webmaster for the neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer.[12][13] The Southern Poverty Law Centerdescribes him as "a neo-Nazi white supremacist"[6] known for "extremely violent rhetoric advocating genocide of non-whites"

and right down the bottom of his wikipedia page..........

Despite his neo-Nazi affiliations, Auernheimer's mother has stated that he has Jewish relatives on both sides of his family