Protests, looting erupt in Minneapolis over racially charged killing by police

webfact

Seeing that Target get trashed brought back some memories. They haven't altered their decor and layout in at least 20 years. That's when my ex and I had made it our hangout.

We'd frequently go shopping there after we got off work. We had both recently graduated university, got decent office jobs, had begun living together. We didn't really worry about money as we tossed their shiny, colorful things in our cart. We seriously thought we had attained the happy, middle class lifestyle they were selling.

Things changed in the coming years. Our industries were somewhat tech related, and felt the pinch from the remnants of the dot-com crash earlier, and the upcoming 2008 Financial Crisis. Our hours were cut, and eventually we were both laid off. We lost our apartment, vehicles, and moved back in with parents. Our wedding was postponed, then called off, and then we went our separate ways. All we could then find was lower end, retail work. Shopping at Target was definitely out of the question. Like many Americans, we soon found ourselves at the dollar stores, and at some points, even food banks.

That's what drove me back to school again to become more competitive, and upon finding that still wasn't enough, eventually out here to Thailand.

I'm certainly not defending the looting and destruction. But, on top of the police mercilessness, I can certainly see why people are frustrated, and venting it in this manner.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

While playing Aussie football you were never once handcuffed with someone kneeling on your head and neck for eight minutes. Nor did you ever have to fight for breath because of it so lets try and keep things in prospective.

He was not moving around. He was pinned down by three burly coppers and for the last 4 minutes of his lying jammed against the police car he was silent and as it transpired at death's door.

It was as plain as day that he'd already submitted. Perhaps if he'd have cried out 'I submit' the cop would have relented and not killed him. But it was not an all in wrestling match and least of all a game of football.

Again, what did he die of? Did he choke to death or was it heart failure or something else?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

What bodycam footage? 

There is some security camera footage that clearly shows Floyd already cuffed being led away from the camera by two police.

And bodycam - heavily redacted - from a Park Policeman that shows nothing at all.

Making things up again!  Unless you can post a link.

But for those who maybe want some truth, here is an NBC report, with some footage.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/new-security-video-shows-events-leading-up-to-george-floyd-s-arrest-83971141769

PH

resists at 1.26 and 4.12 Dropping to his knees is resisting are we clear on that?

Edited by Heppinger
  • Sad 1

Just now, stevenl said:

Thanks for that, no resistance at all in the video.

Sure, if dropping to the ground is not resistance, then he didn't resist.  Was probably randomly passing out due to sniffing glue from a young age.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Aside from the video when the medical examiner reports his findings this should be an open and shut case either way. either he died from being choked by a knee, had his neck broken by a knee and died of that or died of something else. 

The injuries will be plain as day in this one either way. It is hard to tell how much force the cop kneeling over him was putting on. This style of take down is pretty standard however, any problem with the POPO and you end up pinned down to the ground by pressure points.

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

The jury will decide that.

What evidence do you have to say he was on drugs at the time.

More importantly, did police know that and was he arrested for that.

What evidence? have a look at him, clearly a crack head.  Who cares what he was arrested for.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

So bassically from all your posts you know nothing, just assumptions.

The officer had many complaints against him so he obviously tried to kill him. Right.

It's all just assumptions from anybody at this point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Cryingdick said:

Aside from the video when the medical examiner reports his findings this should be an open and shut case either way. either he died from being choked by a knee, had his neck broken by a knee and died of that or died of something else. 

The injuries will be plain as day in this one either way. It is hard to tell how much force the cop kneeling over him was putting on. This style of take down is pretty standard however, any problem with the POPO and you end up pinned down to the ground by pressure points.

And the length of time he did it with no reason to do it that long. Plus the knee in the neck is not a position in the procedure, for obvious reasons that it kills people for no reason.

• Like 1

Just now, Sujo said:

So bassically from all your posts you know nothing, just assumptions.

The officer had many complaints against him so he obviously tried to kill him. Right.

Whatever the low IQ fool purposely hindered police by dropping to the ground, play stupid games then win stupid prizes.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cryingdick said:

It's all just assumptions from anybody at this point.

No it isnt. The officer used a technique that is not allowed. He was not a threat at any time because other officers never felt the need to assist. And he did it for minutes.

Why for so long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

Whatever the low IQ fool purposely hindered police by dropping to the ground, play stupid games then win stupid prizes.

Yeah so he deserved to die whilst other officers did nothing. Obviously the guy wasnt a threat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The only one making assumptions here is Heppinger, painting the dead guy as black as he can, ignoring the officer's record.

Yes that poster started saying he was a druggie. Then said he resisted. Now saying laying on the ground. Low iq.

Nothing of what he says warrants what was done to him, unless you are a racist.

• Like 1

Just now, Sujo said:

Yeah so he deserved to die whilst other officers did nothing. Obviously the guy wasnt a threat.

Who cares, don't pretend you wouldn't cross the street to avoid this junkie.  I didn't say he deserved to die, i said his stupidity contributed to his death. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

Yes that poster started saying he was a druggie. Then said he resisted. Now saying laying on the ground. Low iq.

Nothing of what he says warrants what was done to him, unless you are a racist.

i need a safe place set up stat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They could have taken a lot of the steam and the animosity out of the public reaction had they arrested the cops and kept them in custody.  Even if they chose to release them later, for whatever reason.

If 3 of my best friends and I were found standing over a dead body on a Monday, I doubt we'd be out walking around on a Thursday, while they're doing their investigation. 

Even just being arrested can bankrupt many Americans, between legal fees, bail bonds, car impoundment and job loss.  And that's if you're found not guilty.  The double standard is just another point of irritation.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1