THAI claims it owes Bt24 billion in unused tickets

webfact

6 hours ago, soihok said:

I had a trip to Hokkaido in March with ANA

I had to cancel the tickets.

In April I received full refund from ANA - about B100,000

Well just proves you cannot compare Thai Airways with a honorable Japanese carrier. Outstanding ticket refunds from Thai Airways are unlikely to be paid. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Has ANA filed for bankruptcy, if not then they can give refunds.  This OP is regarding THAI Airways, but thank you for your story as I am sure others who are in the same boat as you now have hope.

Thai has hung on to cancelled ticket holders money for too long, they should have refunded the money before going into this situation.. 

Be lucky if Thai can hold on to 20 aircraft, and they will be the old ones that it owns. Unsecured creditors such as ticket holders will be lucky to get one satang. Move along, nothing to see here. Just another dying airline. 

To put this amount into proportion; 600'000 air tickets for a Bangkok-Europe-turn around. I would go and buy at least 2'000 more A380 now, they are cheap and available in any colour, configuration and nationality. 

Somebody must be completely nuts in that airline 

9 hours ago, Holoman said:

I hope that THAI is in the air very soon. I have been flying Thai, former AIR SIAM, almost 100 times and i was never disappointed. This Airline has a very good equipment and an excellent Service on the ground and in the air. Flying Business Class with THAI is more delightful than First Class in some other Carriers. Even the Tourist Class with THAI is worth to mention.

The only problem I experienced wit THAI was an 8 hour delay due to technical problems. All passengers were droven to Hotels near the airport where we enjoyed a midnight dinner and breakfast befor departure.

So please come back, THAI AIRWAYS, I really miss you .

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

So how come there are so many opposite reports on TV and in all media. I could write a book about poor, rude, insulting service from Thai staff over many years. Plus their corporate disdain for paying passengers.

I think it all started to go downhill after they stopped using aeroplanes with propellers...

9 hours ago, Holoman said:

I hope that THAI is in the air very soon. I have been flying Thai, former AIR SIAM, almost 100 times and i was never disappointed. This Airline has a very good equipment and an excellent Service on the ground and in the air. Flying Business Class with THAI is more delightful than First Class in some other Carriers. Even the Tourist Class with THAI is worth to mention.

The only problem I experienced wit THAI was an 8 hour delay due to technical problems. All passengers were droven to Hotels near the airport where we enjoyed a midnight dinner and breakfast befor departure.

Holoman = Hollow ring

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thai has hung on to cancelled ticket holders money for too long, they should have refunded the money before going into this situation.. 

They didn't have any money before they got into this situation hence this situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would think that would put those passengers in a category the same as an unsecured creditor which if that is the case, puts them way down in terms of priority.  Perhaps some might have recourse through their credit cards if they purchased the flights using one of them.  It may be that to keep its former customer base somewhat placated they will try to honor those but if I was another unsecured creditor I would object to the court that not all creditors were being treated equally. 

On 5/29/2020 at 8:02 AM, worgeordie said:

I suppose my daughter is never going to see the 12K Baht they

owe her,they have had her hanging on the phone a few times

already without any timeframe for the refund.

regards Worgeordie

The time frame given to my friend was 90 days minimum I see on their site up to 180 days 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Emdog said:

I kept my big yap shut when many posters seemed content with getting voucher for future flight or whatever.

I apologize for that. Seemed a tad naive and/or foolish to trust airline(s) might still be in business at some unknown date.

Don't forget that some airlines are refusing to refund for cancelled flights.

Mine was booked Sydney to Chiang Mai and return to Sydney using CC issued by a Thai bank. I called the Bkk HO of the bank and asked about the bank reversing the charge, the bank lady double check what I was meaning and said 'not possible, never heard of this before'.

I asked to be transferred to the senior manager responsible for credit cards, and spoke to a Thai man, perfect English, he double checked what I was meaning, and I mentioned that this is the law in many countries. He giggled a little and politely said, 'not in Thailand and not likely to happen, ever.'  

• Sad 1

Nice earning by going for bankruptcy protection …..only the big ones can do that..... try it with your bank or credit card company …… 

Not much chance to get away with it 

Let us hope Thai banks involved stay strong enough ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Don't forget that some airlines are refusing to refund for cancelled flights.

Mine was booked Sydney to Chiang Mai and return to Sydney using CC issued by a Thai bank. I called the Bkk HO of the bank and asked about the bank reversing the charge, the bank lady double check what I was meaning and said 'not possible, never heard of this before'.

I asked to be transferred to the senior manager responsible for credit cards, and spoke to a Thai man, perfect English, he double checked what I was meaning, and I mentioned that this is the law in many countries. He giggled a little and politely said, 'not in Thailand and not likely to happen, ever.'  

"Charge back" is OK if you have a credit or debit card from an Aussie bank.  Some sellers on Aliexpress send me dodgy krrap and then refuse to pay postage to take back or give money back.  Once they show signs of playing games I go straight to charge back mode.....never failed to get a refund!

41 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

"Charge back" is OK if you have a credit or debit card from an Aussie bank.  Some sellers on Aliexpress send me dodgy krrap and then refuse to pay postage to take back or give money back.  Once they show signs of playing games I go straight to charge back mode.....never failed to get a refund!

Sure. As you mentioned cc issued by an Aussie bank. 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:13 AM, Holoman said:

I wonder what other airlines you have flown business class with to make comments like you have above.

I stopped flying business class internationally with them about twelve years ago as the service deteriorated and their cost competitiveness fell

As far as very good equipment look at the age of some of their aircraft.

Regarding your  last comment I suspect the many thousands who will probably lose the money they have paid for flights will disagree.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:23 PM, canopus1969 said:

Yes as the likes of the CC companies are international

I think there one of the issues will be how much does Thai have in “hold back” funds.. normally with airlines they get 100% of the ticket value right away.. but... if a bank starts to see risk, they may put a holdback into place which means Thai wouldn’t get 100% up front anymore — but a lesser amount, with the balance paid to them after travel occurs.. so if Thai had been a subject to a hold back, there could be funds there to partially fill this void - bankruptcy court ruling provided.

Answer to the scorecard, the mediabeliever.

I have also seen that some staff get angry and unfriendly about passengers, for the following reasons: some dirty guys think they can do everything on board, cause they pay. Touching a female staffs bottom or make suggstive remarks is not only a result of bad education but also a primitive monkeylike behaviour. Also drunken, rioting, screeming and ruthless passengers are a horreo for any staff. Such animals should be reported to police and be fined a 1000$ at at landing.

Edited by Holoman

On 5/29/2020 at 8:45 AM, webfact said:

It is estimated that the airline sold tickets worth Bt24 billion between March and May

I'm not surprised this airline is going under: surely someone in accounting should know the worth of tickets for a certain period?