Put safety before money - academic warns about opening country too quickly to "infected" foreigners

webfact

5 hours ago, Cali farong said:

Yeah keep it locked down until it’s total economic free fall.

Then guess who will be there to help,  the ones who started 

this pandemic.

I have no problem with the lockdown, the longer the better for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Yet the million dollar question is why Thailand did not suffer like others. We had the Chinese in here by the bucket load, yet it seems it did take off. What stopped it? That's my question.

Lack of testing and under reporting stopped it. Why else would we still be under curfew.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Great idea! Let's bring the economy further on its knees and we all move to Philippines or Cambodia. 

Philippines is having probably the world longest lockdown and yet still logging in more cases than the beginning

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cali farong said:

Yeah keep it locked down until it’s total economic free fall.

Then guess who will be there to help,  the ones who started 

this pandemic.

They didn't start the pandemic , it originated from their. China.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

It only takes ONE case to slip in between the cracks and we go back to square one. This is Thailand folks. Im willing to lay my money on the line in saying that we'll see a 2nd wave and this another lockdown before christmas.

"this is Thailand, folks." No loudmouth armed citizen protesting that wearing mask and stay at home orders are fascist, no leaders politisizing the crisis, no leaders sarcastically promoting bleach as a cure, only stability and untity and a profesional aproach to handle the crisis...Yeah, this is Thailand alright.

Yes, there will be a second wave, here, and everywhere, nobody denies that. And after the second wave another wave.

The big question is will it be contained or not.  

We cannot eredicate this, or any virus, nobody claims this. The question is we will control the virus, or will it control us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chivas said:

Its a tough choice. Make no mistake Thailand has done superbly over containing Covid unlike my own hapless government in the UK which have acted with catastrophic results.

I suspect the borders will open later this year but with really onerous restrictions in place first that will put off 95% of regular visitors.

I cant praise Thailand enough personally for the superb job they have done in controlling Covid overall

Stop talking nonsense. 

The only two things the UK have done wrong is:

1) Not banning international flights

2) Not making it a legal requirement to wear masks in public places

Neither of these explain why the mortality rate in Spain, Italy, Belguim, Netherlands and the UK is over 10% when in most of Asia and the Middle East it is under 3%

Sick of reading comments blaming the governments of these countries when on the whole they have been just as strict as anywhere else in the world!

Edited by Patts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Nearly every country in the world has had the virus and it hasn't wiped out their populations. It seems the fear in Thailand in making things worse economically. Just don't let in older obese people with multiple health conditions and people from certain ethnic backgrounds from certain western countries.

Must be the same fear in Australia as they are not letting anyone in or out as I understand  the situation.

All you lot talking about racism must be very insecure.

He talked about "infected foreigners" & he is absolutely right.

Their experience bringing back the Thais from offshore proved he is right & lucky that they insisted (after some prodding) that all returnees go into quarantine as 12 more infected found yesterday.

What would you do ? ,      Open up for tourism with a temperature check at Immigration only (which you have been harping on for months is useless.)

If the doors are opened now you can bet just about all countries except maybe NZ or Australia will reinfect the population of Thailand.

Accurate testing before departure from country of origin,,,,,not gonna happen yet.

!4 days self quarantine on arrival,,,,,,no use coming.

It is probably an unsolvable quandry at this time & his comments are very good advice,

Stop bashing for bashing's sake & put the brain in gear first

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Why do we need a University Doctor to tell us the blo**y obvious... So letting im people with the virus won't be ood for the economy,,,,, welll duhhh! so when is he suggesting to do it exactly? When half of the country is out of work and starving to death?

I am very sceptical of thai universities and their ability to learn since they adorned the wall of the University with a giant mural entitled "super heroes" with Hitler slap in the middle.... Not 1 "Professor /Dr" in the whole university understood why that was not appropriate... ????

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand could regret it and the country could be back to square one rather than in "phase three".

Square one being that's exactly what they did in early February.. chasing the Chinese Yuan !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pmarlin said:

The guy has a point to a degree but some how the headline cane across as racist in my opinion.

I put on some rose coloured glasses, and the image magically reformed to:

Put safety before money - academic warns about opening country too quickly to "infect" foreigners

• Haha 1

Here is the elephant in the room - what exactly did the Thai nationals actually do - in perhaps counties like Bahrain- the Sodom & Gomorrah of the Arab world . 

Perhaps not too much social distancing?

So keep up the quarantining for a while .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

I can't agree more. Do it very slowly. And limit what countries you allow people from. Also require a 14 day quarantine, either in their home country (verifiable) or in Thailand. You've gotta do that.

Verifiable? How can you manage that .. Take their word ? Have a paper signed by the Police/Doctor/ who would refuse unless you were isolating in a police cell ... not doable in reality .. on paper ... no problem . But hey... what does the truth matter any more ? How many tests were done with a population of 69 million ... truthfully? No one has any idea how many “cases” are walking around out there .. asymptomatic cases.. never mind letting foreigners in. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Here is the elephant in the room - what exactly did the Thai nationals actually do - in perhaps counties like Bahrain- the Sodom & Gomorrah of the Arab world . 

Perhaps not too much social distancing?

So keep up the quarantining for a while .

Full body oil massage and some extras 555.

6 hours ago, Brunolem said:

A more adapted word than "racist" would be "xenophobic"...

Anyway, with its extreme reliance on tourism, Thailand is caught between a rock and a hard place...open the gates to the tourists and the virus, or keep the gates closed and millions unemployed.

no more reliant on tourism than most countries

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The world map showing week over week increases in confirmed CV cases by country paints a different picture -- the surge of new infections at present is occurring in South America and Africa, as highlighted by the red-type shadings on the map.

2020-05-30.jpg.f0a0d874b1d60c013e046af24bd7c559.jpg

From Johns Hopkins:

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/COVID-19-Updates---May-27.html?soid=1107826135286&aid=1q5A9yFTkaA

The weekly growth rate is 100% when you have one person infected and one more person infects. This says nothing when there are small infection numbers.

6 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Yet the million dollar question is why Thailand did not suffer like others. We had the Chinese in here by the bucket load, yet it seems it did take off. What stopped it? That's my question.

The 64 K question ... why ?

• Like 1