Pattaya: Pedestrian electrocuted in Walking Street after wires from exploded transformer are left until morning

webfact

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

If the HT wires were left dangling every time they hit the ground they will kick back up and discharge an HT current into the ground and  can travel for several meters along the ground and kill anyone standing within that area. 

Saw this first hand when one of my 3phase HT lines was severed by lighting, the broken cable thrashed around on the ground and the ground induced transients killed a dog that walked into the area but still about ten meters away from where the cable was thrashing around. 

Agree with what you say, but perhaps the wire in question was dangling a bit lower than pedestrian's height, so he became the grounding rod. When he (foolishly) stood up without crawling away & getting zapped a second time might confirm some of my view

Edited by Emdog
left point out

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

When he (foolishly) stood up without crawling away

The "Mythbusters" did investigate and found that  jumping away with feet tight together was the 

"best" option...the electric company had advised them that  keeping both feet on the floor at all times and sliding them along to make  the escape would  also work (which it did but not quite as well)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, johng said:

The "Mythbusters" did investigate and found that  jumping away with feet tight together was the 

"best" option...the electric company had advised them that  keeping both feet on the floor at all times and sliding them along to make  the escape would  also work (which it did but not quite as well)

The electric company are advising, moonwalk, for the great escape?

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

words fail me ....  

" left until morning for electrical authorities to sort out. Wires were hanging and exposed. "

someone should be hammered for this if true .... what the heck were the utilities / and authorities thinking ?

why didn't the fire brigade call the PEA / or if they did, why didn't the PEA attend and disconnect power ?

something is missing in this story .... who was in charge at the time ? 

What  is missing is any willingness from a Thai to do any more than he is paid to do.

And that includes thinking, and and being careful in the duties he performs

normal, they removed  an  electric  meter off one of their posts  by me and just left the ends  hanging still  live connected to the overhead cable and wrapped a bit  of tape round them, been like that for 4  years  now

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

words fail me ....  

" left until morning for electrical authorities to sort out. Wires were hanging and exposed. "

someone should be hammered for this if true .... what the heck were the utilities / and authorities thinking ?

why didn't the fire brigade call the PEA / or if they did, why didn't the PEA attend and disconnect power ?

something is missing in this story .... who was in charge at the time ? 

Prayut I  believe,  oh  no,  now  what?

9 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

And the govt are worried about Chinese Flu!

How about all the other dangers in Thailand, caused by corruption starting at the very top

Despite that there is in fact corruption I fail to see how corruption is involved here. Words like 'lazy, stupid, ignorant, disorganized' pop to mind as better alternatives...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rainman333 said:

Am I the only one that thinks this country doesn't fully understand the concepts of electricity?

Nicola Tesla seemed to understand it.  Others do not.  Like people who steal copper wire.  A very few Amps (milliamps) can kill one.  Tens of thousands of volts can reach out and get that done.  I worked in the electrical utility industry for many years in the USA.  Heard a few choice stories from disaster to near-misses. 

image.png.784e9134edf806d5ceb8d67f41d2d9fd.png  image.jpeg.af04f54d2f20891a7542d817211039e4.jpeg

Edited by Damrongsak

16 hours ago, Emdog said:

When he (foolishly) stood up without crawling away & getting zapped a second time might confirm some of my view

Or tried to grab onto that dangling wire to help pull himself up?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

It may still be in the experimental stage for the Thai's.  ????

when I was young one thing my Father said/taught me THAT electric CAN NOT BE SEEN , so if i see any wires hanging down I avoid them like the plaugue.....one does NOT know if they are LIVE !!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, essox essox said:

THAT electric CAN NOT BE SEEN

As I told my Thai nephew after he stopped crying a few minutes after putting his tongue into the mosquito bat/zapper. 

12 hours ago, essox essox said:

when I was young one thing my Father said/taught me THAT electric CAN NOT BE SEEN , so if i see any wires hanging down I avoid them like the plaugue.....one does NOT know if they are LIVE !!!

Good lesson, but anything could be "live" in Thailand, not just wires. 

When I was visiting here, not living here, I once got "tingles" touching the shower taps in a hotel.  Paid for that uncompleted night and checked out straight away.

• Like 1

The Electric company did some work in our village  a while back, a few days later we saw they had left  a "LIVE"   cable hanging  from the post   we called them to ask them to  make good this cable, they demanded 500b for them to fix it 

Photo of strange wires in the sidewalk near my apartment. 

And,...

Thais don't do electricity well. Wanted a grounded plug in the apartment for my computer. Like many apartments and houses in Thailand, no ground. Got the wife to hire an electrician to place one. Plugged my computer in and it felt tingly. Looked and the electrician installed a three-hole outlet...but, not grounded with a ground wire. Called him and he said I didn't need it since there was that third hole. Called another electrician. Discovered that thieves had stolen the lightning rod and ground wire system off our apartment building. Asked the electrician to run a ground to the actual ground. He said I didn't need it since there was the third hole. Exasperated. Long story short, had to pay the electrician twice what it was worth to have him run an actual ground wire. 

88301455_10158148203371880_4157003252711292928_n.jpg

Edited by JCP108