More Than Disappointed

peterpop

"Disappointed" shouldn't be, the man did a runner and his in the wind now, the monkshood has definitely has changed since the days of true abstainity and righteousness are long gone and each one is to himself including monks and abbots... 

1 hour ago, peterpop said:

During this time I have been impressed with the service and dedication of our visiting monk, and my wife always said he was the good face of Thailand.

You remind me of the movie "The Sting".

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

.................. and a good few rich ones

ah, but they got smart. In medieval times, they introduced the rule, forbidding priests from marrying, so as to make sure the money stayed in the church.

• Like 1

Some posts/responses removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

"Disappointed" shouldn't be, the man did a runner and his in the wind now, the monkshood has definitely has changed since the days of true abstainity and righteousness are long gone and each one is to himself including monks and abbots... 

Don't let a few miscreants make you think that they're all bad. Thais could say the same about you, because of the bad behaviour of rude lager louts in Soi Nana. I'm sure you'd hate that to happen.

• Like 1

I find them generally to be a waste of space, leaches on society, taking from the poor to glorify themselves and their temples.  I find them and it all very distasteful. To the endless upset of Mrs P, I will not set foot in a temple, or give a monk the time of day and I have flatly forbidden her to give them any food in the mornings.  I cant stop her giving merit at the temple, nor would I try, but I have told her how stupid and distasteful I find it all. . 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Women do mad stuff all the time.

Is giving money to monks any worse than buying 100 pairs of shoes and matching handbags?

well no, but at least they end up with something  useful for their money, not just a splash of water on the nut, a flower and a cheap amulet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

well no, but at least they end up with something  useful for their money, not just a splash of water on the nut, a flower and a cheap amulet. 

My (former) bar girl misses has gone full on Buddhist, tee total, born again prude.

I couldn't make even half her madness up.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My (former) bar girl misses has gone full on Buddhist, tee total, born again prude.

I couldn't make even half her madness up.

My sympathies. Unfortunately, Mrs P is of the same persuasion.  She often tells me that I will never be born again, which as you know, is the worst of insults from a Buddhist.  

• Like 1

My axe is that the millions donated to individual temples, much of it from people who will have to miss a meal for a day, is as in my local town, spent on building a bigger and higher and more glittering second steeple rather than building a small free clinic for those in need within the largely empty grounds.     The current buildings are totally sufficient for those who wish to pray etc.

• Like 1