More Than Disappointed

peterpop

48 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

My axe is that the millions donated to individual temples, much of it from people who will have to miss a meal for a day, is as in my local town, spent on building a bigger and higher and more glittering second steeple rather than building a small free clinic for those in need within the largely empty grounds.     The current buildings are totally sufficient for those who wish to pray etc.

The village gains more status/face by the size and quality of their temple. The poor are more than happy to donate even if it’s 10 or 20 baht because it’s a competition with the surrounding villages that carries on over decades. 
  It seems the monks are there to bless people and stuff for good luck. To handle death and insure the next life is bountiful. They are the conduit to the departed which explains giving food, toiletries etc to them. The departed share in the gifts of sustenance that the monks consume. It seems the community doesn’t look to them to do the governments job but as a last line of assistance. 
  I had a devout catholic grandmother and I’ve concluded that the beliefs and rituals between Catholics and Buddhists are not too dissimilar. They both require a great leap of faith and unquestioned following. 
  I’m happy for my wife’s reverence towards her beliefs as they’re not too cumbersome. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

The village gains more status/face by the size and quality of their temple. The poor are more than happy to donate even if it’s 10 or 20 baht because it’s a competition with the surrounding villages that carries on over decades. 
  It seems the monks are there to bless people and stuff for good luck. To handle death and insure the next life is bountiful. They are the conduit to the departed which explains giving food, toiletries etc to them. The departed share in the gifts of sustenance that the monks consume. It seems the community doesn’t look to them to do the governments job but as a last line of assistance. 
  I had a devout catholic grandmother and I’ve concluded that the beliefs and rituals between Catholics and Buddhists are not too dissimilar. They both require a great leap of faith and unquestioned following. 
  I’m happy for my wife’s reverence towards her beliefs as they’re not too cumbersome. 

Then more fool them.  Religion is just organised mass delusion. I no more 'respect' my wife's adherence to her religion, than I respect someone who is caught up in a cult. I accept it, but I don't respect it and if I could wean her off it then I would, for her own good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Yes, I understand the need of some peoples for something to believe in however if I am sick of body then let me come to your clinic, help me get better and I will give my thanks willingly.

Many temples have lavish buildings that are unnecessary for the act of prayer, think of all the help that could be given physically to people in ill health if the millions of baht could provide a doctor and nurse.

I have lived in many countries over the past 50 years, seen numerous forms of alternative therapies such as touch healing South America, acupuncture, homeopathy etc. they all improve the body.
Yes if one is really down for other reasons their belief in a religion may help them feel better but, wouldn't it be nice and useful if both could be provided in the same place and be happy for the temple as it is / was ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My sympathies. Unfortunately, Mrs P is of the same persuasion.  She often tells me that I will never be born again, which as you know, is the worst of insults from a Buddhist.  

It's one the main goals of Buddhism, to escape the cycle of birth and re-birth.

Unless you're concerned about helping all sentient creatures in which case some are meant to take it up on them to be born and reborn to help others.

Obviously you don't understand Buddhism nor its very noble philosophy.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:11 PM, stouricks said:

The Roman Catholic Church is one of the richest institutions on Earth, all monies coming from poor believers.

NASA does pretty well also raking in 20 billion a year from tax payers.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

I am surprised at the numbers of respondents to my fairly innocent posting.  Some of whom have wasted valuable time by expressing their opinions.  I too am critical of all organised faith beliefs, but to be dismissive, and not to know something about the great faiths is ignorant and dangerous.

In the hurley-burley of life people need something to believe in and some source of forgiveness for their sins and mistakes.  Thai Buddhism is actually a syncretic religion which incorporates elements of Hinduism and Animism.  There is nothing in the Buddha’s teaching about reincarnation and the belief that bad actions will cause you to be reincarnated as some kind of animal.  

It apparently is not widely known but the monks who officiate at the King’s plowing ceremony and other royal events are Hindu monks, not Buddhist.  Just for fun, check out the statues of the deities at the Erawan shrine and Central World.  They are not of Buddha.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:11 AM, Lacessit said:

Not only in Thailand, though. I also remember working in Port Hedland in the late 1960's. Fairly hot climate. An enterprising electrician removed about 20 air conditioners from houses on Finucane Island under the pretext of servicing them. Trucked them down to Perth and sold them, took off for Germany. The police never did catch up with him.

He was one cool customer. 

On 5/29/2020 at 2:23 PM, BritManToo said:

My (former) bar girl misses has gone full on Buddhist, tee total, born again prude.

I couldn't make even half her madness up.

Did it start after she split up with you? ????

But you have touched on a valid point, that from my observation  places of worship worldwide are mostly populated by women and this goes for Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim and Christian.  Also the protectors of these faiths at grass roots level in society are often women.  Perhaps they have a greater need for faith than we old cynics.  Or perhaps they have a more simple approach.  My wife loves everything about Thai [so called] Buddhism and it is rather sweet.