Foreign investors 'considering moving production base to Thailand'

webfact

It could be a happy situation, Thailand have good infra structure and can handle big logistics.

But other international compagnies are leaving Thailand, off different reasons, but I think they would not leave if they where happy to stay here.

It seems that the country needs an international understanding in trading and manufactoring if they want international compagnies to come and stay here. International compagnies will not change very much to the "thai way", so if they can not run a compagni here in the same way as they use to do, they generally will stay away, i am afraid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Kriangkrai Thianukul, vice president of the Federation of Thai Industries

That'll be the day when  half the world doesn't want to move their  businesses  here, again like asking the army to investigate themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

Really ???

Yes you can only own 49%  of the business  unless BOI approved (megabucks)

You can get BOI approval from an investment of one million Baht or more, dependent on your business and the industrial sector you are investing in. BOI also gives more opportunities for full foreign ownership and tax exemption for up to 15 years which is very attractive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johng said:

Really ???

Yes you can only own 49%  of the business  unless BOI approved (megabucks)

BOI approval is rudimentary to American investment here. No your motorbike rental shop is not as easy to convince them of supporting, but majority foreign ownership in LOS is not impossible or unfathomable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I really doubt that Thailand is a good production base considering

1. the low level of English proficiency,

2. endless paper documentation for visas

3. 90-day report

4. over-protection of many jobs for Thai people only

5. restrictions in owning land for foreigners who want to invest in factories

I think Philippines and Malaysia would be better choices in these factors.

These are fairly big enterprises we are talking about here so I doubt they will have any issues, but to clarify:

1. That is still a problem but if you have Top Management that encourage line managers and supervisors to learn Thai less so. Careful recruitment and competency management the key here.

2. All done by human resource department and agents. These will be skilled Thai nationals that know immigration processes and they get it done very efficiently. All I do for my WP is sign a few papers and turn up once a year to the one stop shop place in Lumphini Tower. All takes 20 minutes then back to Chonburi.

3. Again, HR staff will usually perform this function for all foreign nationals at the company, or at least assist in the process.

4. You cannot import a work-force so you will have to skills-transfer to Thais. This is understood by all major and successful companies here. Foreigners occupy only managerial and supervisory positions needed to facilitate the company to function as intended and where Thais do not have the required skills.

5. Land ownership not a problem for any companies investing in factories.

• Like 1