Foreign investors 'considering moving production base to Thailand'

webfact

11 hours ago, impulse said:

I think they're confusing "production base" with "distribution facility" so they can claim all their Chinese goods were made in Thailand and dodge the punitive tariffs. 

In 10+ years of bopping around China, I wish I had a dime for every crate I witnessed leaving a Chinese factory marked "Product of Korea".  I'm sure the crate passed through a Korean port on it's way to wherever...

They also use new Zealand,as a proxy

11 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

Vietnam will fair a lot better with investors me thinks. There are already big companies pulling out of here and relocating to Vietnam 

As said previously, Vietnam suffers from high inflation and unstable currency, not the sorts of things that attract investors.

33 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Chinese companies may wish to invest in Thailand in order to circumvent any trade wars or embargoes between China and the west.

Chinese company's will be investing in the UK once we,'re out the eu.

45 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Chinese company's will be investing in the UK once we,'re out the eu.

It might invest in the EU which is a huge market.

It will not be investing in the economic basket case the UK will be.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

company cannot own the land, only lease... after 30 years...  rebuild everything elsewhere ?

smaller companies cannot be owned 100 percent ...

the 4 Thais per foreign work permit

etc...

This article is about companies relocating from China, not a sexpat trying to buy a bar.

Noe of those issues will affect them or even register on the radar.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

India would be considered a hardship post, for most foreigners required to live there. Therefore, it would require significant hardship increases in salary for all foreigners working there. That would have to be a factor. Also, the cost of living is not cheap, unless you are eating on the street, which I do not advise. Real estate is extremely expensive. I lived and worked there for one and a half years, many years ago, and my work required me to travel. I took 46 trips in a 55 week period, including 10 trips to Bombay (Mumbai) and I love that city. It is truly the NYC of India. I really got the see the country. I was also there several times previously, and a few times since. India is a remarkable nation, I love most of it's people, and the culture and history are incredible. But, it is a tough place to live. And a tough place to travel. Not at all like Thailand. My guess is that the infrastructure is not as good as Thailand, and at the time I worked there, the government requirements were punishing, immigration was difficult to work with, and it was a very challenging place to do business. I am sure alot of that has improved, as it has been over 20 years since I worked there. 

The costs of eating in Los is/has become out if sync also, a pretty standard western breakfast of average quality and dogs sat watching is up around  £6 UK, in the Uk a breakfast with the portion size the same £4 or £5.

Los is cheap to live if you want street food but as soon as you look at Macdonalds or similar it is out of proportion to local wages.

• Like 1

I am wondering what is going on in the head of Prayuth and his cronies in this situation. On the one hand, companies are leaving China, in some cases, partially in protest. Now, Prayuth and his cronies seem to be in bed with CCP....Japan is one nation that is backing out of China, and we all know about the relationship between those two countries, even before all this virus malarky. This country stand to gain while kind of giving the finger to the CCP.....Will they do it? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Almer said:

The costs of eating in Los is/has become out if sync also, a pretty standard western breakfast of average quality and dogs sat watching is up around  £6 UK, in the Uk a breakfast with the portion size the same £4 or £5.

Los is cheap to live if you want street food but as soon as you look at Macdonalds or similar it is out of proportion to local wages.

The locals not being able to buy Mac junk food is a good thing....well maybe....I guess it depends on whether or not you had seen the Thai junk food sold at the local market! 

27 minutes ago, Almer said:

There was a queue out the door of Pizza Company yesterday lunchtime, KFC too for that matter. Nearly all seats occupied due to the volume and social distancing.

Someone needs to go in there and tell them they can't afford it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have you ever really looked at the people in any MacDonalds, Pizza Co. or KFC in Thailand, they are mostly all Thai's and the places are most often full? 

The reality is that those places are overpriced ONLY by comparison and ONLY to farangs, locals don't care, they can afford it.

Edited by Trillian

1 hour ago, Almer said:

I disagree. Not street food, but simple restaurants here, are still very reasonable. I get really good meals all the time for $2-5. In the US. That same meal is $30, with tax and tip. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, impulse said:

I think they're confusing "production base" with "distribution facility" so they can claim all their Chinese goods were made in Thailand and dodge the punitive tariffs. 

In 10+ years of bopping around China, I wish I had a dime for every crate I witnessed leaving a Chinese factory marked "Product of Korea".  I'm sure the crate passed through a Korean port on it's way to wherever...

not necessarily passing through Korea port,  did you ever heard about the pre customs clearance or transit while at sea,

17 hours ago, johng said:
18 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

just quoting other countries irrelevant figures? 

So Thailand's figures are  relevant  but other (neighbouring) countries  figures are irrelevant  when discussing that Thailand did better than neighbouring countries  ?  

but no I don't really believe any of their figures.

Yes, neighbouring countries statistics are irrelevant as the subject was your suggestion that Thailand's figures were deliberately inaccurate, that's all, and you haven't been able to back up your assertion.  

I wasn't commenting on how Thailand's figures compared with figures from other countries, neither were you until your attempted diversion from your "false figures" suggestion!

19 hours ago, Okis said:

Cambodian and Bangladesh streets, buildings e.tc

Like the one in Bangladesh with the clothing factory. Exits barricaded to keep them working. Nearly all were crushed when it collapsed.

Walmart initially denied all involvement, until their "Faded Glory" brand tags were found in the rubble. They then made some payouts to families, still denying wrongdoing. The old "we don't know what these subcontractors are doing" excuse.

Then they've got the shipbreaking yards, where workers regularly get their limbs hacked off along with the steel, and the world's largest, govt sanctioned brothel. Lovely place. Sounds like hell on Earth. Yet for some, a lucrative place to do business.

7 hours ago, Mavideol said:
On 5/29/2020 at 7:04 AM, impulse said:

not necessarily passing through Korea port,  did you ever heard about the pre customs clearance or transit while at sea,

Yeah, I've shipped hundreds of loads from China, full containers and less than container loads.  And you lose just a little credibility with Customs when you declare something is from one country, yet your shipment didn't originate in that country.

Nowadays, to ship something to the USA, you have to declare it before it even gets on the boat.

7 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Like the one in Bangladesh with the clothing factory. Exits barricaded to keep them working. Nearly all were crushed when it collapsed.

Walmart initially denied all involvement, until their "Faded Glory" brand tags were found in the rubble. They then made some payouts to families, still denying wrongdoing. The old "we don't know what these subcontractors are doing" excuse.

Then they've got the shipbreaking yards, where workers regularly get their limbs hacked off along with the steel, and the world's largest, govt sanctioned brothel. Lovely place. Sounds like hell on Earth. Yet for some, a lucrative place to do business.

Yes. Because their goal with factories abroad is labor that is cheaper than in the west, nothing else.