Famous people from Your Neighbourhood/School

I never lived near anyone famous but because of work.... Its hard to remember all..

Got drunk with george michael and wendy james, she was in some group transvision vamp.

Shagged a girl a week after she won a gold medal at world swimming champs. I had won a gold medal in another sport at another event so it had to be done.

Shagged a silver medal commonwealth games gymnast.

Played golf with with major winners, greg norman, wayne grady, michael campbell. Invited to play augusta national but couldnt make it. :((((

Had dinner with bob hawke, oz pm.

Had lunch with current malaysian pm myhiddin, through work.

Had a short chat with michael jackson.

Have coached many national champions and a couple of players who have won on US lpga but cannot say who as i dont want my identity known.

oh, for the liverpool fans i have had many beers with some guy called steve mcmahon.

Edited by Sujo
  • Haha 1

Englebert Humperdinck was friends with my eldest brother they both lived in Leicester, he is also remembered as Gerry Dorsey, although Gerry was not his real name, I remember him as very down to earth.

Stanley Unwin was also a friend of the family, he used to give me a headache.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

My Mother's first cousin married Sir Lawrence Olivier and Mother was in the same class as the actor, Donald Pleasance. 

thats impressive.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My great grandfather, Angus McLeod was a famous bagpipe composer.

My great uncle owned a music hall in Halifax, West Yorkshire, that featured his creation, the Black & White Minstrel Show.

Edited by katatonic
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, katatonic said:

My great uncle owned a music hall in Halifax, West Yorkshire, that featured his creation, the Black & White Minstrel Show.

Wow, it wouldn't go down well today. I was just talking about that show with my mother yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

thats impressive.

it didn't do our part of the family any good at all, not that it should have done of course.  We were solid northern working class.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Wow, it wouldn't go down well today. I was just talking about that show with my mother yesterday.

Haha, yes, not something we talk about much! Did well out of it though, my late Gran told me he had the first Rolls-Royce outside London.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Englebert Humperdinck was friends with my eldest brother they both lived in Leicester, he is also remembered as Gerry Dorsey, although Gerry was not his real name, I remember him as very down to earth.

My brother knows many famous people through his work, some very well some not. Ronan Keating is one and another is Colin Montgomery. Actually, he says Colin has no friends, which isn't surprising. I could have gone to his wedding but was in Thailand. If I had, I would have met and played golf with Ballesteros etc.

Edited by Neeranam

32 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Icke's theories actually make a lot of sense now. So much that YouTube and other media have banned his videos ????

Ickes main theory is that the world is controlled by a secret cabal or illuminati who are in the service of reptile beings from another dimension. Of course the Jews play a role in this wicked deception and control with the Rothschilds often mentioned. These reptiles also take the form in this dimension as shape shifting beings such as the Royal family and the Pope who also drink blood of sacrificial offerings.

Aliens get a look in who created the moon as an artificial hollow satellite and they use the rings of saturn to bounce messages from. Then there is the G5/virus nonsense, this was his downfall, people going out burning down phone masts, the wrong ones, meant he was causing a bit of a problem with the idiots who follow him. This makes a lot of sense? he's either mentally ill or a clever scam artist. He did say on Wogan he was the son of God of course where he also said the UK would soon be suffering from terrible earthquakes and floods, that was 1991 I think.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Think Arnold was his real name, lived in Stoughten Street Highfields but born in India

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bodga said:

That twit  drove  into an ex  girlfriends  car when he  used to work at  Pebble  Mill, he was a  right rude $%$#@@#$$  when he did  it, and  it  was  his  fault.

Na would have been the reptiles fault who were communicating with him from planet x in the 6 dimension at the time

Edited by Orton Rd

Just now, Neeranam said:

I just found out something I never knew -  my good Thai friend is part farang - her great grandfather was Henry Alabaster who built the first road in Thailand, Charoenkrung.

and I bet he was around to see the first drunken idiot killed on it. the first of many thousands to follow. 

• Haha 1

Bringing back memories - I was in a marina in Palma, Majorca in '98 or '99, the Royal Yacht Club (Real Club Nautico de Palma), when a motor-yacht appeared and berthed at the fuel dock in front of me. Suddenly about 30 paparazzi jumped out of god knows where - I hadn't seen any of them, and started snapping away. Antonio Banderas and Goldie Hawn were on the flybridge. I was leaning on a car, a black Alfa Romeo, when I felt it move, so I turned round and the King of Spain got in, plus a few bodyguards, then drove off. Not a single photographer noticed. It was during the King's Cup race week and the King's racing yacht was further up the dock -  the above-mentioned film stars were there to watch the racing.

Edited by katatonic
Addition
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

Hmm, I can name a few now that I think about it.

I was born in '61, inCleveland, OH, where my dad grew up and he was a big civil rights supporter back in the '60s. As such, he was big supporter of Carl Stokes, the first elected black mayor of a major American city. After being sworn into office he moved into a house about 6 houses down the street from us. (When I was about 7, I was given a couple of "walkie-talkies" and was staying overnight at my friend's house playing around with them. He happened to live next door to Mayor Stokes and because the mayor had just move in, his police detail were out front, none too pleased that my little walkie-talkies were stomping over their radios. I think they eventually had to move to a different frequency to avoid us.) ????

Jump ahead a couple of years and Dad moved the family to Toronto, when he started a computer company with some friends and associates. We ended up moving into a house down the street from the parents of Ken Dryden, who attended the same local elementary/grade school as I and my siblings. He was/is a national hero in Canada, playing goalie for 5 Stanley Cup (NHL championship) winning, Montreal Canadiens teams, as well as the Canadian All-Star team that beat the Russian National team in the 1972 Summit Series. Later, I went to high school at Richview Collegiate Institute, where I was three years behind Stephen Harper, 22nd Prime Minister of Canada. (My older sister, who was most the most academically achieving of myself and my two other siblings and who later attended Stanford, knew him and later said that she figured he'd eventually become a successful lawyer or something similar.)

When I was 17, Dad moved us out to the South S.F. Bay Area (Palo Alto, Los Altos Hills, CA area) when sis went to Stanford. I did my last yr. of high school at Henry M. Gunn (hence my user name here) in Palo Alto, where Stanley Jordan (famous jazz guitarist famous for developing a unique fingering technique) graduated 2 yrs. before I did. Mom ended up working at Stanford for about 25-30 years and the last 12 yrs or so, she was secretary to George Schultz (former Sec. of State under Pres. Reagan) at the Hoover Institute.

My dad liked to network a lot and belonged to a number of clubs, including The Churchill Club and the Kenna Club (named for Father Kenna, an influential priest at Santa Clara Univ. a local private, Jesuit school with a very good Engineering, and graduate Business and Law schools). I attended a few of these and at a meeting of the Kenna club, I met and got to shake hands with Leon Panetta (an alum of Santa Clara). Leon Panetta was a US Congressman from California, before becoming White House Chief of Staff for Pres. Clinton, and was later named Dir. of the CIA by Pres. Obama.

Wow, thanks for this topic, it got me thinking about some of the famous people that I met, in addition to the ones that were from my neighborhood while growing up.

Wow, I left out another big one. After my second year at Richview Collegiate Institute (I was 16 at the time) I took a Summer School course in Business with Margo Timmins, later to become the lead singer in the group, Cowboy Junkies. Here's a vid of them covering "Sweet Jane" that might jog your memory. I think it peaked at number 5 on the US charts in '89.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:
8 hours ago, katatonic said:

Aberdeen Grammar or Harrow?

The first one. Harrow is only 450 years old.

In that case, I used to live round the corner from here Neeranam went to school. Does that count?

If not, I went to school with Danny Alexander, former UK Chief Secretary to the Treasury. He wasn't well liked then either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Gunn said:

I took a Summer School course in Business with Margo Timmins, later to become the lead singer in the group, Cowboy Junkies. Here's a vid of them covering "Sweet Jane" that might jog your memory. I think it peaked at number 5 on the US charts in '89.

Wow, one of my favourites! I first heard in the film Natural Born Killers. Not as good as Lou Reed but great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

In that case, I used to live round the corner from here Neeranam went to school. Does that count?

If not, I went to school with Danny Alexander, former UK Chief Secretary to the Treasury. He wasn't well liked then either. 

Of course it counts! Far aboots? 

3 hours ago, Sujo said:

Shagged a silver medal commonwealth games gymnast.

I saw Prince Edward's baldy head at the Edinburgh Games in 1986, at a swimming pool. Never shagged anyone ???? He was only 22 then! I also saw a guy in the showers at a Melbourne swimming pool. My brother in law said that's  someone, I forget his name Thorpe I think, but he had very large feet!

Actually, he is about the same age as me as I played cricket against him when he went to Gordonstoun. Quite surreal actually as the Prince of Saudi Arabia was also playing and there were bodyguards on the boundary. In hindsight, probably wise as there were some hooligans playing for my team, singing Flower of Scotland. He wasn't very good and probably just got a game because of who his mum was.

I missed the chance to play rugby against him. I was the in the 1st 15 and Edward was playing in the second 15. The coach refused to let me go down a level. I'd have loved to tackle him, singing "and sent him homeward tae think again"! 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, katatonic said:

I met Alec Guinness once at a friend's house in Edinburgh, on the Meadows. We had afternoon tea and chatted

I drank a lot of Guinness in pubs on the Meadows, I lived very near there when at Uni, 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I saw Prince Edward's baldy head at the Edinburgh Games in 1986, at a swimming pool. Never shagged anyone ???? He was only 22 then! 

Actually, he is about the same age as me as I played cricket against him when he went to Gordonstoun. Quite surreal actually as the Prince of Saudi Arabia was also playing and there were bodyguards on the boundary. In hindsight, probably wise as there were some hooligans playing for my team, sing Flower of Scotland. I missed the chance to play rugby against him. I was the in the 1st 15 and Edward was playing in the second 15. The coach refused to let me go down a level. I'd have loved to tackle him, singing "and sent him homeward tae think again"! 

"I saw Prince Edward's baldy head at the Edinburgh Games in 1986, at a swimming pool. Never shagged anyone ???? He was only 22 then! "

You might have wanted some punctuation there, to split that into different clauses, assuming his baldy head and his age were not related to the "never shagged anyone", and also to make clear if that was you, or him, and specific to famous people, or people in general.

I'm surprised he was bald by '86.  Though I doubt it was the stress of representing the school at cricket.

"I'd have loved to tackle him, singing 'and sent him homeward tae think again'!"
The best memoires owe more to recollection than fact, but bear scrutiny to the latter.  So long as only you and he heard it, and he doesn't remember that you didn't play for the seconds, you're on fairly safe ground with that one.  No-one else will remember, and you can always Dominic Cummins them, if need be.  If things get dicey, settle rather than letting it go to the High Court.

I lived next door but one to a younger Younger, as in Tartan Special.
I doubt anyone bar Neeranam will acknowledge that as fame.

Having read some of the posts above, maybe I should consider myself lucky to have led a sheltered life...

SC 

Edited by StreetCowboy

11 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I lived next door but one to a younger Younger, as in Tartan Special.
I doubt anyone bar Neeranam will acknowledge that as fame.

Having read some of the posts above, maybe I should consider myself lucky to have led a sheltered life...

SC 

Sheltered life lol, don't believe a word! 

I'm more accustomed to the Tennant's 'Super', 9% I vaguely remember.  Rab C's favourite swally! 

Edited by Neeranam

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Sheltered life lol, don't believe a word! 

I'm more accustomed to the Tennant's 'Super', 9% I vaguely remember. 

If you'd stuck to Tartan Special 3.6% you'd have remembered less vaguely
(not actually true - quantity will always win over quality, and strength will never match quantity)
(although Harrison 600 - an Indian beer - was like degaussing fluid, and from my memories the next day, I think it is what they use to clean whiteboards) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

If you'd stuck to Tartan Special 3.6% you'd have remembered less vaguely
(not actually true - quantity will always win over quality, and strength will never match quantity)
(although Harrison 600 - an Indian beer - was like degaussing fluid, and from my memories the next day, I think it is what they use to clean whiteboards) 

I never saw the point of drinking weak beer when you could drink a couple of Spekkie brews or Supers to get the day off to a good start! I must have had less money that you! 

Never drank the snake venom Scottish beer which was 68%!!!! 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/food-drink/scottish-brewery-sets-new-record-3814145

Better stop talking of beer, I might do myself a mischief! 

• Like 1