Famous people from Your Neighbourhood/School

Went to same community college as OJ SImpson.

PS 19 in Brooklyn, went there a few years, so did Mel Brooks.  Heard him mention it in passing during an interview.  The original building had been a hospital during the Civil War, they moved us into a new building and tore it down in 1962.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

You need to stop these false allegations , Mandy Smith was in a relationship with Wyman and they got married a few years later

I am quoting what she admitted not making any false allegations, she said she had sex with him at 14, are you calling her a liar?

Other version say she was 13 so I think in her 14th year, he was about 48, but hey he was famous.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1266664/Mandy-Smith-I-DID-sleep-Bill-Wyman-I-14--man-life-God.html

Edited by Orton Rd

Maybe I'm the only Yank responding, so far. 

Michael McDonald, who was lead singer for the Doobie Brothers, went to my elementary and high schools. Five years ahead of me, I think. 

• Like 2

There are tons of famous people who have lived in my hometown, but the only one I knew personally is Zeliko Ivanek, a largely unknown actor who I went to high school with. 

Anyway, a partial list of famous people from my hometown who I never met:

Steve Jobs

Hewlett and Packard (Bill and Dave)

The guys who founded Google (HQ across the Highway from my old home)

The guys who founded Yahoo

Some of the Grateful Dead

The Kingston Trio

Joan Baez

Condoleeza Rice (never met her, but we have several mutual acquaintances)

Herbert Hoover (former US president)

Erle Stanley Gardner (wrote Perry Mason)

Where do I start? Went to school with Chris Cowdrey and Graham Piggot,(Cricketers) amongst others who I forget from Tonbridge School many moons ago.  Lived near and met/had a drink with most of these at one time or another, Vic Reeves, Bob Mortimer, Paul O'Grady, Sir Donald Sinden and Jeremy Sinden, Paul Merton, Tom Baker, Julian Clary, Chris Difford, Sir Paul McCartney and Tom Chaplin. 

• Like 1

I went to Pittoddrie once to watch the rugby with The Blether and a few mates; we’d walk a bit, then sombdy would come over “Hawey , Blether, how he dae’n?”  Anyway, the match was defenetly the low point of my week in Scotland; we were well-stuffed by Tonga. I might never go to Aberdeen. We turned morosely back into town, and a big black limo pulled alongside “Hawey thair Blether; how he dae’n’? Wis that the biggest load ae’ pish Ah’ve seen in thirty years as patron o’ the SRU or whit?”

”Yes, your highness, it was a big disappointment to me and the lads; is you Peter still playing League?” and we all nodded, and tugged our forelocks deferentially.

We eventually found somewhere to drown our sorrows, and I challenged him.

”Blether, it seemed like you knew the whole crowd at Pittoddrie, I saw some of the Scottish players waving, and I’m sure the Tongan winger gave you a wink; the Princess Royal even , do you know EveryBody?”

He paused for a minute, started counting down on his fingers, “Aye, pretty much so”

”Aye, right,” says Wee Andy, “Mebbe show business, Royalty we’ve seen, but ye dinnae ken The Pope”

”’Course I do; me, Maradonna and Argentinian Frankie go bevvin’ together whene’er I’m in Buenos  Aires”

I’d had enough of him, and called his bluff on it; next thing I knew, we were on a flight to Rome; he marches straight up to a Swiss Guard at the Vatican Palace “A’right, there, Michel?”

”Haway thair, Blether, in ye go, but yer pal will have to wait in the square”

So I’m stood in the throng at St Peters Square, and then the Pope comes out laughing, with his arm round the Blether, and a wee Italian turns to me and says

”Who’s that in the white, wi’ The Blether?”

• Haha 2

went to school, and played rugby with, rory underwood and rob andrew, also richard tomlinson, the MI5 spy

but my mate, who knew nothing about music or really who he was, was good friends, through their children, with julian cope, i was jealous about that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I went to Pittoddrie once to watch the rugby with The Blether and a few mates; we’d walk a bit, then sombdy would come over “Hawey , Blether, how he dae’n?”  Anyway, the match was defenetly the low point of my week in Scotland; we were well-stuffed by Tonga. I might never go to Aberdeen. We turned morosely back into town, and a big black limo pulled alongside “Hawey thair Blether; how he dae’n’? Wis that the biggest load ae’ pish Ah’ve seen in thirty years as patron o’ the SRU or whit?”

”Yes, your highness, it was a big disappointment to me and the lads; is you Peter still playing League?” and we all nodded, and tugged our forelocks deferentially.

”Blether, it seemed like you knew the whole crowd at Pittoddrie, I saw some of the Scottish players waving, and I’m sure the Tongan winger gave you a wink; the Princess Royal even , do you know EveryBody?”

He paused for a minute, started counting down on his fingers, “Aye, pretty much so”

”Aye, right,” says Wee Andy, “Mebbe show business, Royalty we’ve seen, but ye dinnae ken The Pope”

”’Course I do; me, Maradonna and Argentinian Frankie go bevvin’ together whene’er I’m in Buenos  Aires”

I’d had enough of him, and called his bluff on it; next thing I knew, we were on a flight to Rome; he marches straight up to a Swiss Guard at the Vatican Palace “A’right, there, Michel?”

So I’m stood in the throng at St Peters Square, and then the Pope comes out laughing, with his arm round the Blether, and a wee Italian turns to me and says

But did the blether say he had met Neeranam at the Roma Hotel, I wonder how he's doing, nice guy. 

Rugby at Pittodrie? Whatever next! Lost time I was there was watching the Don's beat Hamburg in the European Supercup final. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anterian said:

Far too many to list and you would not believe me anyway, let's just say life in London's Soho in the 60's was a unique experience. 

Did You ever met the Krays? 

I've been reading about them recently. 

54 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Nearly fell off my dinosaur reading that!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anterian said:

Far too many to list and you would not believe me anyway, let's just say life in London's Soho in the 60's was a unique experience. 

I was a London mini cab driver in the 70's, I am thinking about that now, and smiling..

????....................????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

I was a London mini cab driver in the 70's, I am thinking about that now, and smiling..

My cousin is a London cabbie, also plays double bass for large orchestras, doing soundtracks for big movies, recently 'no time to die', 'avengers', '1917', 'star wars' etc

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My cousin is a London cabbie, also plays double bass for large orchestras, doing soundtracks for big movies, recently 'no time to die', 'avengers', '1917', 'star wars' etc

I was a different kind of cabbie.........????

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, transam said:

How long did it take you to learn The Knowledge?

What was the pay like?

Met HH the Dalai Lama in India. 

Had a fleeting glimpse of Nirvana when shaking his hand and getting a necklace. 

A remarkable being and aura. I couldn't stop laughing and smiling for 3 days after. 

Still working on humility????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, faraday said:

How long did it take you to learn The Knowledge?

What was the pay like?

I was not a black cabbie, I was a mini cab driver, very different. Posh term was...

Private Car Hire.....????

Earnings were <deleted>, thinking about it, but I was as free as a bird, cruising around in my Granada earning a few quid, meeting some rascals, really good period for me....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never lived near or went to school with, but have met a few "famous" people.  Served the 6 million dollar man, Lee Majors and his pin up wife Farrah Fawcett in 1976 at the Monks Garden in Scottsdale AZ.  Also served tennis star Chris Evert there. Then in 1985, Rory Gallagher shook my hand and signed an album of mine, but only because my girlfriend handed it to him after a show in Tucson AZ.  He acknowledged my presence briefly but was focused on girlfriend (surprised she didn't leave me and go backstage with him). Met Jorma Kaukonen of the Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna.  Met Jon Voight, he was with his lovely wife Marchelin, and their children James and Angelina when she was only 7 or 8, back in 1985, at a restaurant in Tucson, AZ called the Garland.  He was in town filming Desert Bloom.  Super friendly guy at that time.  Met  with author Edward Abbey a few times, as he was the guru for the Earth First movement back in the 80's I was a member of.  

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I drank a lot of Guinness in pubs on the Meadows, I lived very near there when at Uni, 

So did my sister, Eng. Lit. '82-6. The Pear Tree was my favourite when I went up to stay  (drank 80/- though!) and I worked in a cafe on Princes St during one Festival. My favourite city in the world I reckon. Took my Thai wife there last summer and she was blown away - just wondering how long it will be before we will be able to go back again. Probably not this year sadly.

59 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Met HH the Dalai Lama in India. 

Had a fleeting glimpse of Nirvana when shaking his hand and getting a necklace. 

A remarkable being and aura. I couldn't stop laughing and smiling for 3 days after. 

Still working on humility????

Haha, lucky man! Saw his maroon Merc driving around McLeod Ganj & Dharamsala back in the 90's but not he himself.

3 hours ago, worrab said:

Where do I start? Went to school with Chris Cowdrey and Graham Piggot,(Cricketers) amongst others who I forget from Tonbridge School many moons ago.  Lived near and met/had a drink with most of these at one time or another, Vic Reeves, Bob Mortimer, Paul O'Grady, Sir Donald Sinden and Jeremy Sinden, Paul Merton, Tom Baker, Julian Clary, Chris Difford, Sir Paul McCartney and Tom Chaplin. 

Forgot about Vic & Bob - I lived just outside their home town of Darlington. Wish I'd known them - hilarious!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

went to school, and played rugby with, rory underwood and rob andrew, also richard tomlinson, the MI5 spy

but my mate, who knew nothing about music or really who he was, was good friends, through their children, with julian cope, i was jealous about that.

We went to the same school then.. North House '75 -81

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Haha, lucky man! Saw his maroon Merc driving around McLeod Ganj & Dharamsala back in the 90's but not he himself.

92 I was there. I did a 13 day meditation retreat. That's the reason we were granted 'darshan' with him. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

92 I was there. I did a 13 day meditation retreat. That's the reason we were granted 'darshan' with him. 

Another time I shared a taxi from there to Kashmir with a journalist who had interviewed the Dalai Lama the previous day, in '88. He was equally awed too, as was I just listening to him.

• Like 1