BANGKOK
Neeranam

Famous people from Your Neighbourhood/School

I got drunk once with the lead singer of the Pogues, my kind of drinker! My friend was the barman at the hotel they were staying in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sujo said:

Had a short chat with michael jackson.

Did he say "this is it. And when i say this is it, it really means this is it."?

I guess the OP was asking about friends from neighbor hood or friends and not who you

met in your life time. I met the Beatles,Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Elton John, Cliff Richard

Rod Steward and many others. Well the only person I have not met is Steven100 :cheesy::crazy:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Of course it counts! Far aboots? 

Eden Place, just round from the Dolphin Chipper. 

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Eden Place, just round from the Dolphin Chipper. 

I know it well. One gran stayed in Watson Street and the other on Westburn Road. I was well fed at school! 

• Like 1

I went to high school with Michelle Robinson, who became Michelle Obama after marriage. I was also at university with Masako Owada, who is now the Empress of Japan, but I didn't know her.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bodga said:

I  Liked  Maggie

I worked in the steel industry for 11 years prior to 1980. Spent 7 years of devoted studying  at night school for my degree equivalent qualification.  I was looking forward to progression up the management ladder over the next 40 years and the rewards and stability that came with it.

Maggie destroyed that dream  a year later.

Thank you Maggie, saved me from the next 40 years in a filthy, dangerous and to be quite honest , boring environment.

• Like 2

Marc Wilson, NFL QB with the Oakland Raiders/LA Raiders and also Green Bay Packers and the New England Patriots.  He won two Super Bowls.  Lived in the same town.  I went to school with his younger brother Shea.  Shea was a very good athlete but didn't like being compared to his older brother so didn't really pursue sports that much.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I got drunk once with the lead singer of the Pogues, my kind of drinker! My friend was the barman at the hotel they were staying in. 

I'm surprised you remembered! My good friend in Dublin knows him quite well, I don't think he remembers any of the evenings they went out together!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I'm surprised you remembered! My good friend in Dublin knows him quite well, I don't think he remembers any of the evenings they went out together!

i could drink a few myself back then. I forgot most, after he handed me something to smoke. I do remember a guy called Spider bought most the drinks. A nice guy actually and his girlfriend was a top London model! I hear he has new teeth these days 🙂

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, as my school is 750 years old, there are probably a few other famous alumni.

Aha...Harrow.

I taught at Harrow International School in Bangkok and we named one of our houses after Byron. Others were Nehru and Churchill for similar reasons. 13 children of Rama V went there too and I have a great painting of them in my condo. I made a trip to the Hill in 2008 and had a memorable day there including booze for lunch! We had many exchange students in Bangkok from Harrow in London including a right nitwit called Cadbury who said daddy was in chocolate. 

David Bowie grew up near me and Marc Bolan of T Rex fame was expelled from my school. In my first job in journalism I sat next to Stephen Dillane who I saw in The Crown recently in a memorable scene with John Lithgow. 

Rooster

• Like 1