Famous people from Your Neighbourhood/School

29 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Another time I shared a taxi from there to Kashmir with a journalist who had interviewed the Dalai Lama the previous day, in '88. He was equally awed too, as was I just listening to him.

So many amazing things happened to me in India. I was travelling there for 6 months before coming here. Never made it to Kashmir, I think we got held up in Manali, I remember saying "bomb Shankar' a lot ???? 

35 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So many amazing things happened to me in India. I was travelling there for 6 months before coming here. Never made it to Kashmir, I think we got held up in Manali, I remember saying "bomb Shankar' a lot ???? 

I could say  the same thing about India, incredible adventures! I rode round India on an Enfield in about '95 and ended up in Manali where I wanted to sell it but got there two weeks too early and there was thick snow and no tourists. I said bom Shankar a lot too..???? There was also a guy from New York with a bottle of liquid acid..????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, katatonic said:

I could say  the same thing about India, incredible adventures! I rode round India on an Enfield in about '95 and ended up in Manali where I wanted to sell it but got there two weeks too early and there was thick snow and no tourists. I said bom Shankar a lot too..???? There was also a guy from New York with a bottle of liquid acid..????

I stayed in amazing hotel with a glass roof, unbelievable sights, especially after testing the local produce! I want to go back there some time. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I stayed in amazing hotel with a glass roof, unbelievable sights, especially after testing the local produce! I want to go back there some time. 

Same here, although I imagine it won't be anything like the same. Kashmir was incredible - or Srinagar was as I didn't manage to get any further. The conflict started a few days after I got there and we could hear machine gun fire all of the last night there, then evacuated. There was a couple who'd just arrived via the Ladakh Highway and had been ambushed, then rescued by Indian tanks. Before that they'd come straight from Tiananmen Square where they'd had machine guns firing at them. They were only on a month's holiday!

On 5/29/2020 at 1:48 PM, FolkGuitar said:

We have a few from my High School in N.Y.

with thanks to the Alumni Association for the list........

Burt Bacharach ('46), Songwriter

Ina Balin ('53), (Ina Rosenberg), Actress

Jules Bass ('52) see link for all his credits to many to list - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0060072/

Art Buchwald, Writer (did not graduate)

Robert Chartoff ('51), Movie Producer ("Rocky" films, They Shoot Horses, Don't They .. )

Ron Chernow ('66), Author

John Cummings ('67) The Ramones

Ray Danton ('49?), Real name is Ray Kaplan, Actor

Tom Eryderli ('67) The Ramones

Alan Feinstein ('59), Actor

Geraldine Ferraro ('53?), Vice Presidential nominee

David J. Forman ('66), Singer, songwriter, actor. Appeared in documentary "Man on wire".

Steve Franken ('49) Actor, "Chatsworth Osborn Jr" in Dobie Gillis.

Peter Freundlich ('63), Three time Emmy Award winning producer. Currently working with Anderson Cooper from CNN

Art Garfunkel ('58), Entertainer (Simon and Garfunkel)

Paul Harris, Producer/arranger for Joni Mitchell & others

Daniel Hevesi ('88), Senator

Houston, Clinton ('64) Jazz Musician, (Double Bassist) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DinYRzvWO3g

Jeff Hyman ('69), a.k.a. Joey Ramone, Lead singer of the rock group, The Ramones

Marty Ingels ('54), Real name is Martin Ingerman, Comedian, Producer

Susan Isaacs ('61) Author of 13 novels. www.susanisaacs.com

Vic "The Brick" Jacobs ('70?) Sportscaster

Bob Keeshan ('45?), TV's Captain Kangaroo and the first Clarabelle the Clown on Howdy Doody

Ruby Jackson (Carol Mervis) Artist

Julian Krainin ('58), Academy Award and Emmy winning motion picture and television producer/director

Gary Kurfirst ('64), Founder/Owner of Radioactive Records

Michael Landon ('54) Real name is Eugene Orowitz, went to FHHS, but did not graduate here. Actor

R. Allen Leider (Richard Leider '62), Screenwriter, actor, author, film critic

Michael Lembeck (PS 206), Director, actor

Jack Lew, (Jacob Lew '72), President Obama's Chief of Staff

Francisco "Frank" Lorenzo ('57), former owner of Continental Airlines, Eastern Airlines, People Express, and Texas Air

Susan Mayer Bauman ('61), Mayor of Madison, WI.

Carol Mendelson, TV Producer

Ronn Owens (Ronny Lowenstein) ('62) Talk Radio Personality on KGO AM810 San Francisco www.ronn.com

Peter Praeger (66) Nationally renowned Heart Surgeon & Owner of Dr. Praeger's Sensible Foods

Emily Perl Kingsley ('56), Emmy winning writer, Author

Ron Scott Stevens ('64), Real name is Ronald (Ronnie) Rabinowitz, NY State Athletic Commission Chairman.

Ron Rifkin ('55), Real name is Saul Rifkin stage, film and television actor. Known for Alias.

Dennis Rinsler ('64), TV Producer (FULL HOUSE, Even Stevens etc.)

Telly Savalas, Actor. He was a teacher at FHHS in the early 50s

Donald Scalzo ('69), rock band musician (Marshall Crenshaw Band)

Benny Schiller (attended in 1961) musician/band leader/ agent/and artist currently working in NYC.

Fred Silverman ('54?), Movie and TV Producer

Connie Simmons (40s?), Athlete, NY. Knicks

Paul Simon ('58), Entertainer (Simon and Garfunkel)

Gary Smith ('52), TV Producer - Produced Hullabaloo a variety program in the late 60's also was Jack Paar's stage manager.

Jerry Springer ('61), Talk show host

Dick Stockton, ('60), Real name is Richard Stokvis, Sportscaster

Steve Susskind ('60), TV and Movie Actor

Dennis Tito ('58), Paid Russia $20 million to ride the spaceship to the Space Station

Danny Troob ('66), Hollywood and Broadway music arranger and orchestrator

Tatiana Troyanos, ('56), World renowned mezzo soprano

Jesus ! ????

• Haha 1

Kevin Costner has a house, well more like a mansion, and huge ranch a few miles from me.

I work at the local airport and we always get a VIP notice when he's on an inbound flight, nice guy always greets us by name

• Like 1

The first famous person i saw in my local toy shop when i was a kid was Eric Sykes, i lived near so many famous people of that time  as they all wanted to live in that area Adam Faith, Charlie Drake, Radio DJ,s Tom Jones, Even the Beatles lived there for a while, then later in-between jobs i took up window cleaning, one of my favorite memories, while in this job was sitting with Windsor Davies (RIP) in his garden drinking tea, Gave, Stephanie De Sykes a lift to the station one time after a prob with her car, i had a smile on my face i can tell you. Later in life one Neighbour was Robbie Macintosh such a nice guy who lent me his mini moke for a weekend after i fixed it for him, plenty of party's going on in our shared houses at that time. after, he became lead guitarist for the pretenders and most who lived in that house also played with them. Met them years later back stage at Sydney Entertainment center. Also knew all members or a band called Gong. Is that enough ? I think i'll

918256568_images(14).jpg.825565771fe9666a85cfd83ccc02c120.jpg Now

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

people who need to tell other people they know celebrities are very insecure about themselves

You are totally correct and morally superior ????

Thanks for your wisdom.

You never answered the question -  any famous people at your school?

On 5/29/2020 at 1:48 PM, FolkGuitar said:

We have a few from my High School in N.Y.

with thanks to the Alumni Association for the list........

Burt Bacharach ('46), Songwriter

Ina Balin ('53), (Ina Rosenberg), Actress

Jules Bass ('52) see link for all his credits to many to list - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0060072/

Art Buchwald, Writer (did not graduate)

Robert Chartoff ('51), Movie Producer ("Rocky" films, They Shoot Horses, Don't They .. )

Ron Chernow ('66), Author

John Cummings ('67) The Ramones

Ray Danton ('49?), Real name is Ray Kaplan, Actor

Tom Eryderli ('67) The Ramones

Alan Feinstein ('59), Actor

Geraldine Ferraro ('53?), Vice Presidential nominee

David J. Forman ('66), Singer, songwriter, actor. Appeared in documentary "Man on wire".

Steve Franken ('49) Actor, "Chatsworth Osborn Jr" in Dobie Gillis.

Peter Freundlich ('63), Three time Emmy Award winning producer. Currently working with Anderson Cooper from CNN

Art Garfunkel ('58), Entertainer (Simon and Garfunkel)

Paul Harris, Producer/arranger for Joni Mitchell & others

Daniel Hevesi ('88), Senator

Houston, Clinton ('64) Jazz Musician, (Double Bassist) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DinYRzvWO3g

Jeff Hyman ('69), a.k.a. Joey Ramone, Lead singer of the rock group, The Ramones

Marty Ingels ('54), Real name is Martin Ingerman, Comedian, Producer

Susan Isaacs ('61) Author of 13 novels. www.susanisaacs.com

Vic "The Brick" Jacobs ('70?) Sportscaster

Bob Keeshan ('45?), TV's Captain Kangaroo and the first Clarabelle the Clown on Howdy Doody

Ruby Jackson (Carol Mervis) Artist

Julian Krainin ('58), Academy Award and Emmy winning motion picture and television producer/director

Gary Kurfirst ('64), Founder/Owner of Radioactive Records

Michael Landon ('54) Real name is Eugene Orowitz, went to FHHS, but did not graduate here. Actor

R. Allen Leider (Richard Leider '62), Screenwriter, actor, author, film critic

Michael Lembeck (PS 206), Director, actor

Jack Lew, (Jacob Lew '72), President Obama's Chief of Staff

Francisco "Frank" Lorenzo ('57), former owner of Continental Airlines, Eastern Airlines, People Express, and Texas Air

Susan Mayer Bauman ('61), Mayor of Madison, WI.

Carol Mendelson, TV Producer

Ronn Owens (Ronny Lowenstein) ('62) Talk Radio Personality on KGO AM810 San Francisco www.ronn.com

Peter Praeger (66) Nationally renowned Heart Surgeon & Owner of Dr. Praeger's Sensible Foods

Emily Perl Kingsley ('56), Emmy winning writer, Author

Ron Scott Stevens ('64), Real name is Ronald (Ronnie) Rabinowitz, NY State Athletic Commission Chairman.

Ron Rifkin ('55), Real name is Saul Rifkin stage, film and television actor. Known for Alias.

Dennis Rinsler ('64), TV Producer (FULL HOUSE, Even Stevens etc.)

Telly Savalas, Actor. He was a teacher at FHHS in the early 50s

Donald Scalzo ('69), rock band musician (Marshall Crenshaw Band)

Benny Schiller (attended in 1961) musician/band leader/ agent/and artist currently working in NYC.

Fred Silverman ('54?), Movie and TV Producer

Connie Simmons (40s?), Athlete, NY. Knicks

Paul Simon ('58), Entertainer (Simon and Garfunkel)

Gary Smith ('52), TV Producer - Produced Hullabaloo a variety program in the late 60's also was Jack Paar's stage manager.

Jerry Springer ('61), Talk show host

Dick Stockton, ('60), Real name is Richard Stokvis, Sportscaster

Steve Susskind ('60), TV and Movie Actor

Dennis Tito ('58), Paid Russia $20 million to ride the spaceship to the Space Station

Danny Troob ('66), Hollywood and Broadway music arranger and orchestrator

Tatiana Troyanos, ('56), World renowned mezzo soprano

Wow, must be cool to go to school with the Ramones.

20 hours ago, katatonic said:

Forgot about Vic & Bob - I lived just outside their home town of Darlington. Wish I'd known them - hilarious!

Vic Reeves lived at Aldington, Kent and my girlfriend then wife used to clean house for him. That was always an eye opener. Bob Mortimer lived in Warehorne and drank in The Woolpack. Used to come down for a jar with his Dad. That was also where Paul O'Grady would come for a drink with his paramour.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Fortunately, I graduated years before they got there.  But I was satisfied knowing Paul and Artie.

32 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Which ones were they?

Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel. They graduated a couple of years before I did.

Paul's brother, Eddie, was my lab partner in Earth Science class.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Wow! You must have been in the same year as Jerry Springer. Legend.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Oh, I thought you meant they were in the Ramones.  Despite being a fan, I never knew their real names.