AIS Fiber Upgrade from 200 to 1000 mb

pj123

I am in Pathumthani. We have had ongoing problems with our 200 mb AIS Fiber for the past month (slow or no connection). I am considering upgrading to their Supemesh 1000 mb. But they told me all they would so is swap the routers. The same cables would be used into the house and to the router. I'm not convinced.  Considering moving to True 1000 mb who will install new cables. 

Assuming your AIS-provided optical router is working fine, log into the router's firmware and look around the menus for something called along the lines of Optical Power.   An AIS optical router (i.e., fiber optics line terminates right in the router) can operate properly/full speed with a incoming optical power of approx -25dbm to -8dbm....since we are dealing with power levels below 0 dbm a -18dbm level is stronger than a -25dbm level.  

Usually aprpox a -27dbm to -8dbm is the "downstream" optical power range for a typical home optical router....if the optical power is outside this range you can have problems.  That is, a downstream power level below the -27dbm like a -28, -29, etc) is too low and the power level higher than a -8dbm like a -7dbm, -6dbm, etc., can cause problems.   

And for "upstream" laser power (which your router generates) the range is usually +0.5 to +5dbm....notice no minus symbol now like we have with downstream power as were are now dealing with power levels above 0 dbm.   

If your optical power level is good, which AIS can also read/see remotely when you call in a problem to them, I expect the fiber line running from your residence to the junction box on the trunk line is perfectly fine.  If the power level is low chances are still good your line is "physically" fine but it's a problem at a junction box on the trunk line.   Within those junction boxes are passive optical splitters which can go bad.  By passive, I mean they do not use electrical power...the splitters act like a prism to split an incoming light beam into multiple beams.  

A fiber optics line running to your home can far exceed 1Gb speed...if it's in good repair there is zero reason to change it just because your are upgrading to a 1Gb plan.   AIS is not going to change the line unless they can confirm it has a problem---which is easy for them to check with a couple simple power measurements.

Happened to me about six months ago when my speeds got slow and erratic...but other times pretty fast and stable.  And sometime the AIS rouer Loss of Signal light would change from green to red....this means no or low fiber optics power arriving the router.  It was like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.   

Since I can't get into my AIS-provided router firmware anymore to check optical power since the router is now set to bridge mode and now feeds my personal Asus router (years back I didn't have it set to bridge more), when I called AIS Support with the problem the first thing they did while I was talking to them is remotely check the optical power arriving the router as they can remotely access my router.  The support rep said the incoming optical power to the router is low....they will need to send a tech out.  It was a short and sweet call...I didn't have explain much at all....the rep could see the power level arriving the router was low which would cause my problem. 

When the tech arrived next day he disconnected the fiber optics cable going into the router and plugged it into his optical power meter....he was getting a power reading of around a -32dbm....too low.  He then then followed the line up the soi to where it plugged into the junction splitter box high up on the soi light pole about 125 meters from my home.  This particular junction box splits the fiber optics trunk line incoming fiber into 8 lines to feed out to homes.  Junction boxes can also split the signal 16, 32, 64, or 128 times, but the best I can figure Thai ISPs typically use 8 or 16 port splitter junction boxes--at least in moobaans. 

He unplugged my line from its port in the junction box and plugged in his power meter...he got a power reading of -32dbm reading...too low....same as on the other end of my line.   That means either the junction box was receiving low power "or" only my port was bad.  There was still one unused splitter port....he checked the power level at that port....it was good......plugged my line in to that port and my problem was immediately fixed...back to full speed.  He then tagged my old port as bad.   

A few days later several AIS techs came out to do maintenance on that junction box and the one upstream to it.  I lost internet for around 4 hours (and other hooked to those junction boxes) as they worked on these two junction boxes....bringing them down to ground level to work on them....replacing/repairing the passive splitter modules inside these black junction boxes. 

If your optical power levels are good then your problem could very well be with the AIS servers....your acct setup.   And just upgrading to a higher speed package is not going to help.   Probably best to get them to find and fix you current problem....if unable to do so just change ISPs if you can.

Take a look at below 2017 post for more info on AIS optical power levels.

Thank you thats very helpful. I have agreed to give AIS one more try to fix our problems by trying their 1gb mesh service. I found the login page for the router using 192.168.1.1 but I have no password. 

Edited by pj123

14 minutes ago, pj123 said:

Thank you thats very helpful. I have agreed to give AIS one more try to fix our problems by trying their 1gb mesh service. I found the login page for the router using 192.168.1.1 but I have no password. 

192.268.1.1 is simply the gateway to your router.  Most routers default to using 192.168.1.1.....some 192.168.2.1...etc.   It's basically the front door to your router.....your local LAN front door.   You will need to logon (unlock) that door with User ID and password.   Sometimes it's as simple as admin and admin.  Other times it might be admin and part of the routers serial number.....sometimes it something like maybe a label on the router....or info in the router's manual....like maybe it's admin and aisadmin.  Once/if you do get in you can change the User ID and/or password to something else---just be sure to remember what you change it to.  If you enter the incorrect logon credentials you usually get locked out for X-amount of time....like maybe 5 minutes before you can try again.

image.png.83457988a5af2d813190c2460329c659.png

By the way, I'll probably be upgrading to the Power4 1000/200 package early next week simply because I would save a few baht & get higher speed from my current Power4 500/200 package which I speedtoogle to 700/50.   Talked to AIS about it today....I'm still thinking about it....but I'll probably pull the trigger early next week.

Like all ISPs, AIS is always upgrading/changing its packages....sometimes you get an automatic upgrade....other times you don't and have to call and change which ends up locking you into another 12 month contract.  It's all part of ISP's "hook you for another year" game.

• Haha 1

ZTE

ZXHN H198A

D-SN: ZTEEH7PKB604558

Between the outside cable and the wifi router there is a small black box HUMAX OPTICAL ONT model HP112

Edited by pj123

11 minutes ago, pj123 said:

ZTE

ZXHN H198A

D-SN: ZTEEH7PKB604558

It that even a fiber optics router?  When I look up that part number it shows a router with a WAN port that for an ethernet type cable; not a fiber optics cable which is usually a small, round yellow cable. 

Maybe AIS also provided your Optical Network Unit (ONU) type device that the fiber optics cable connects into and from that ONU an ethernet cable runs to the WAN port on your H198A.   

If so, where the optical power level needs to be checked is within the ONU firmware menu if you can even access that.   

My current AIS-Provided router is a combo ONU & router....all in one device; not two separate units which maybe you have.

12 hours ago, pj123 said:

You are right. I have a Humax ONU box.

In that case you will need to see if you can find the logon credentials to the ONU.  You would probably need to connect directly to the ONU ethernet output port (i.e., the port that feeds a cable to your router). 

Then just like how you entered the gateway IP address and log on credentials to get into your router, you would do the same thing..  However, the IP address and log on credentials is surely going to be different.

Just for example if your had a Huawei HG8010 ONU (which you don't), below is how you would enter the ONU firmware and what the menu would look like showing optical power level.   And those "reference" levels is the levels the ONU can work with.   Optical power levels outside of those reference levels (limits) will result in loss of internet, erratic operation, slow speed, just weird stuff.

http://www.3bb.co.th/uploads/20171019170827EchoLife HG8010H.pdf

image.png.869a22f3418ccf63ef05f05df410b69b.png

image.png.ba62137768f620a907a985030aa54a9d.png

@Pib

Do you have any idea why I can't see IPv6 configuration options in my AIS Fibre Model: SR120-A modem/router.

I want to change the IPv6 DNS settings, like I did for IPv4 (see screenshot).

screenshot.jpg

Like the topic starter I currently have 200/200 Mbps and I'm thinking to upgrade to the new 1000/200 package with the new SuperMesh WiFi router (http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_power4special.html) which hopefully has this IPv6 config option.

Edited by pomavi5436
more info

Don't know...can't find an online manual for your SR120A.  You just need to dig around "all" the menu settings in the router to see if it's hiding somewhere unexpected. 

Do you have IPv6 capability right now?  Check by going to any of below IPv6 test sites:

https://test-ipv6.com/

https://ipv6-test.com/

http://ipv6test.google.com/

If you don't have IPv6 connectivity right now that can be caused by several things such as:

- AIS has not activated it on your account...if not activated then you must contact them to activate it.  I had to do that years back when first signing up with AIS Fibre.

- IPv6 is activated on your acct but IPv6 is deactivated in your router....would need to enable it in the router.

- IPv6 is activated on your acct and in your router but you have it turned off on your computer...would need to activate it within your computer settings.

The AIS engineer came to upgrade our system. Our Optical Power is -21 dbm so I guess not so bad. I was mistaken when I wrote we had 200mb. Turns out they upgraded us sometime ago to 500mb though you wouldn't know from the quality of service. We now have their 1000 mb with their two Supermesh wireless routers. It is definitely faster but we still have times when there is no internet. It drops for 5-10 minutes and then its back up again.  This can happen at 2am or 2pm. If this continues we will give 3BB a try.  

8 hours ago, pj123 said:

The AIS engineer came to upgrade our system. Our Optical Power is -21 dbm so I guess not so bad. I was mistaken when I wrote we had 200mb. Turns out they upgraded us sometime ago to 500mb though you wouldn't know from the quality of service. We now have their 1000 mb with their two Supermesh wireless routers. It is definitely faster but we still have times when there is no internet. It drops for 5-10 minutes and then its back up again.  This can happen at 2am or 2pm. If this continues we will give 3BB a try.  

When your computer is connected to the router via Ethernet what speed can you get using Speedtest.net with your new 1000/200 plan.

And did AIS charge you any extra, one time fee for the upgrade "since they gave you two mesh routers?" Any one time fee (not saying there was...just asking) could have been asked for during installation but more likely on the next monthly bill.  Just wondering.

Edited by Pib

AIS initially said they would upgrade us at the next bill due 24 June but we said we would not wait and would cancel the contract. So they upgraded us this week. No charge for the new install and kit. Monthly payment will be the same.

I tested using LAN on speedtest.net

I ran three tests on each server. Average results:

Two different local servers chosen by speedtest: we are getting Ping 1ms 550/260

UK server: London Vodafone:  Ping 186 ms 50/105

UK server: London Spitfire: Ping 194 50/100

If we keep getting the dropped connection we will cancel before 24 June and change to 3BB

My biggest problem with AIS Fibre is that you cannot speak directly to their Fibre team. You have to always go through the AIS Mobile helpdesk and they will take a message only. You then have to wait for the Fibre staff to call you. 

Edited by pj123

Yea, I almost upgraded from 500/200 to 1000/200 last week but had issues in AIS calling me back to discuss fully....they called me back once...we had discussion....then they were suppose to call me back in another hour to further discuss but never called back.   

Reaching an AIS Fibre rep can be a pain because as you mentioned you must now call their 1175 central number which is focused on their mobile/cell operations.  A couple years back they had a dedicated AIS Fibre central calll number of 1185.   With 1175 number you might get lucky and get a human but normally must leave a call back number.  I've had the best luck by going online and reporting a problem and/or asking them to call me....they have always called well within 24 hours....usually same day.

With your 1000/200 plan only giving you 550Mb download I would be contacting AIS that 550 is not anywhere close to 1000Mb speed. Now keep in mind a 1000Mb (a.k.a., 1Gb) plan does "not" provide 1Gb speed....best case is around 940Mb, but most all ISPs advertise such plans as 1Gb plans.   

Heck, I wouldn't have let the install team leave if you was not getting around 940Mb.  Maybe the "install" team was getting around 940Mb on their laptop...did you see if they did or not?   I you did see them getting around 940Mb then you have an issue with your computer equipment setup.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea, I almost upgraded from 500/200 to 1000/200 last week but had issues in AIS calling me back to discuss fully....they called me back once...we had discussion....then they were suppose to call me back in another hour to further discuss but never called back.   

Reaching an AIS Fibre rep can be a pain because as you mentioned you must now call their 1175 central number which is focused on their mobile/cell operations.  A couple years back they had a dedicated AIS Fibre central calll number of 1185.   With 1175 number you might get lucky and get a human but normally must leave a call back number.  I've had the best luck by going online and reporting a problem and/or asking them to call me....they have always called well within 24 hours....usually same day.

With your 1000/200 plan only giving you 550Mb download I would be contacting AIS that 550 is not anywhere close to 1000Mb speed. Now keep in mind a 1000Mb (a.k.a., 1Gb) plan does "not" provide 1Gb speed....best case is around 940Mb, but most all ISPs advertise such plans as 1Gb plans.   

Heck, I wouldn't have let the install team leave if you was not getting around 940Mb.  Maybe the "install" team was getting around 940Mb on their laptop...did you see if they did or not?   I you did see them getting around 940Mb then you have an issue with your computer equipment setup.

I am OK with the local speed but international is very slow but I don't think they can fix that. With the new routers I can now check the Optical Power which is currently -18. 

10 hours ago, pj123 said:

I am OK with the local speed but international is very slow but I don't think they can fix that. With the new routers I can now check the Optical Power which is currently -18. 

If they can't fix it I would have them downgrade you 500/200 which costs a little less.  Why pay for something you are not receiving (i.,e approx 1Gb local download speed). 

And yeap, -18dbm is pretty much dead center of the the -27dbm to -8dbm receiving power range that GPON Class B+ routers/systems operate within.   Since you are not getting around 940Mb downstream speed then that means it's either still an AIS Fibre problem or it's your computer/devices.

Same with my AIS Fiber 1Gps only get max 600mps with wifi or Ethernet.

Called more then 50 time their 1175 mumber and always they promised to call back, but only twice they did.

I done the speed test with different laptops and phones,  same result, speed 580-600 mps max.

Been for 20 Years with True (UBC) had also my issues but never something like this what i now expierience with AIS. 

Did cancled already my Son's Ais mobile, next will cancle my Mobile .

I told the at the Ais shop in Seacon Square already if they not able to rectify i will cancle the subscription as AIS not able to keep their advertised agreement.
The Manager tried to call fieber team and told me they call my. Suprisingly they did, but only to disconnect the call after i picked it up.
keep still calling to 1175 but same as of yesterday they told me to call at 4pm but nothing i did call them again and again till i get a representative on the line who told me they call back within 1 hour.................... STILL WAITING!

Now i regret to switch to from True to AIS as true offered me a good discount if i would stay with them. 
Seems i shoot my own leg. ????

Hope they still will rectify this matter, if more customer leaving they will realize how bad their customer service.